Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-19, 17:53

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

So glad you liked it!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-19, 23:01

BF:

Here is Dr. Naiman’s Guide to body weight exercises for beginners.

I’m a pretty poor physical specimen; I use an exercise ball myself, and I have a vibration plate with big handle bars I use to do pull ups from a seated position.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c57p605PDZc
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-12-19, 22:05

BF:

I started a thread about Dr. Naiman's book thePEdiet.com! It's in the LC Research/Media section.

I am so happy he finally produced a book! I posted a couple of interviews about the book there too -
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 11:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Me
That was most interesting. Thanks!

Great! Thank you for commenting
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 12:46

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
Here is Dr. Naiman’s Guide to body weight exercises for beginners.

I’m a pretty poor physical specimen; I use an exercise ball myself, and I have a vibration plate with big handle bars I use to do pull ups from a seated position.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c57p605PDZc

not that long ago I was limited to bed rest. Just moving the body mass was an exercise. Decided to start small. Sit on couch and do leg lifts, just sitting. Kept progressing slowly. Eventually built up lung xapacity again, and could run up stairs. Still not were I used to be, but I'll take it. Progress.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 16:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
not that long ago I was limited to bed rest. Just moving the body mass was an exercise. Decided to start small. Sit on couch and do leg lifts, just sitting. Kept progressing slowly. Eventually built up lung xapacity again, and could run up stairs. Still not were I used to be, but I'll take it. Progress.

That is really awesome! I have some idea how really hard that is. it is a really long road and a lot of work.

I had a family member that was in the ICU unconscious on a respirator for a week and then in the hospital bed for weeks after that. It was surprising how incredibly weak he was. They had a therapist come in to work with him just to try to move, stand up, walk, etc.

They released him, but he found he couldn't stand up from the couch or go up the stairs. The therapist had to work with him at home. It was a a very long road, especially while trying to recover from a pretty invasive surgery.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 16:39

BF:

ya, that is a double wammy. The brain and the body needs recovery. Glad he has PT!! Back when my kids were 1 and 3 , I spent 2 weeks sitting in bed. Then emergency brain surgery of a sort. I was sent home to manage two babies, almost useless. Fortunately friends brought dinner each day for a week. So grateful. Took two years to get back to full speed physically. The brain damage.... well , give the brain time and it can do remarkable things.

Just one day at a time adds up!!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 17:21

BF:

Wow, that was quite an ordeal, and two babies, I can't imagine! I'm not surprised about the two years, seriously.

I totally noticed the brain recovery issue too on top of the physical.

Baby steps.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-19, 20:40

BF:

Baby steps..... start from where ever you are.... a little exercise is just the beginning..... and leads to progress.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-27-19, 14:42

BF:

One of the Greats of fitness, Dr. Doug McGruff of Body by Science, gives the ultimate endorsement for Dr. Naiman. Worth watching!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMmeZnk7Oa8&t=336s
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-20, 13:19

BF:

Another great Dr. Ted Naiman interview on Diet Doctor (Podcast #40)

I always learn something new because he does not give the same talk everywhere he goes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMI0D_lixvU
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-20, 15:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I just learned about Dr. Naiman over on the Keto thread, but enjoyed reading his recent interview at DietDoctor. I was excited too when I read here that he has a book so decided it was one I needed to add to my library.

But when I went to Amazon I was so sad to see it's only available as a Kindle version. Don't get me wrong though. I do have a Kindle and I adore it and use it all the time as I'm trying to cut back on dead tree books for both space and ecological issues.

However I really only use my Kindle for reading novels. Books where you start and the beginning and then just go straight through to the end. For reference books, like this sort, I still prefer a hardcopy where you can go back and forth to review things, skip sections of possibly less interest, etc. I've bought a few Kindle reference books (Dr. Fung's Obesity Code for example) but only in addition to the hardcopy one, so that I might always have it to refer to if away from home. But sadly it doesn't seem to be an option with this book to get hardcopy.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Feb-26-20, 16:42

BF:

Yes, he is endless responding to people that want a hard copy. It is a 300+ book of mostly color photos, since he communicates through memes. It is too expensive to print.

I bought mine through thePEdiet.com as a pdf on Gumroad. It saves your book there, which you can retrieve via your email link if you ever lose it. The app lets you bookmark pages.

It worked great on my iPhone 6 Plus phone, but my newer phone isn’t quite as great on reading the format.

You can see much of the book on his Instagram page.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 07:20

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

His message really resonates for me. I've always felt (since reading Protein Power in the late 1990s) that we should be eating a whole lot more meat and animal products than we do.

Does anyone have trouble getting in all that protein, though? According to the calculations on his website, I should be getting at least 150 grams of protein daily. How can you eat that much? I know he shows pictures of meals, but with protein being so satiating, that's a whole lotta meat!

A friend of mine who has followed his protocol says that there should be a 2:1 ratio of protein grams to fat grams + carb grams. I couldn't find that on the website, but maybe I missed it.

So, check my math here. If I get 150 grams of protein, that means I can have 75 grams of carbs +fat. If he recommends 20 grams of carbs, that leaves 55 grams of fat, which is not very much at all. And not very many calories. By my count, that would add up to less than 1200 calories per day.

According to my FitDay, 8 oz of beef tenderloin has 44 grams of protein so I would need to eat more than 1 1/2 pounds to reach 150. Or, 6 oz of chicken breast has 48 grams, so 18 oz of chicken per day. And then what about fat? That 8 oz of beef tenderloin at 44 grams of protein also has 40 grams of fat. That's definitely not a 2:1 ratio.

Am I over-thinking this? Am I missing something huge and obvious to everyone else? (If so, it wouldn't be the first time!).

Thoughts?
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Feb-27-20, 12:45

BF:

Yes, Dr. Naiman is pretty awesome!

He doesn't recommend calculating macros and calories. The idea is to get in your protein then use the fat and carbs as a lever.

1:1 is protein to fat plus carbs, and I understand this is more like a maintenance situation diet. I don't see carbs in the equation you have there. Generally, up to 100 carbs is acceptable, eaten as one meal in the evening, and going over this would involve active athletic types or at least committing to burning them off in exercise.

The floor on fat is something around 30 grams to keep from screwing up your hormones.

I don't calculate anything, and you don't need to. Focus your meals on protein and if you want to lose weight you need to work in more lean proteins. Steak and eggs are perfect maintenance foods. Working in lean chicken (I hate chicken breast, so I don't do this), lean seafood and shellfish is good. If you like yogurt and cottage cheese - super easy to eat a lot of this to get your protein up (0% unsweetened greek yogurt for example).