Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-19, 21:27

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I finished in 6th place in my gym with 4795 MEPs. 5th place was about 150 ahead of me and 1st place was 6200+ I missed a good part of one week with the Hubs in the hospital. I felt that was a respectable finish all things considered.

This month they are doing a bracket style gym against gym challenge with combined totals for each gym. People were going hard already on the first day. 233 was 10th place and the top 2 were 500+ Dayum. I have to go quite hard to get 200 in an hour. They must be doing 2 hard ones to get those numbers. I put in a respectable 259.

Dan’s workout for this week:

1 circuit x 4
1000M row
1 minute plank
KB swings (26#) - 12
Renegade rows (10#) - 10 each side

The row is between 5.5 & 6 minutes. Add in the rest of the set and it runs about 10 mins per set.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Apr-07-19, 20:28

BF:

I’ve had to switch everything around at the gym. I moved my Training sessions with Dan to Thursday’s since I have competition next Sat and then will be out of town 2weeks later. I also changed my rest day from Sunday to Friday. I am just way too beat physically and mentally. I am also trying to find the sweet spot as to the time of night.

In two weeks, I move to a new schedule. 7:00-3:30 with Monday and Saturday off. I plan to go straight to the gym after work. My skating schedule will switch around to Thursday nights in May and Tuesdays and Thursday nights over the summer. Still trying to decide which day to take as the rest day.

Dan’s Workout for this week

Circuit 1 x 2
Russian leg ext 10x10 w/10 sec rest in between (30#)
250M row - medium pace
Back extension (25#) x 12
Goblet side squats (15#)
250M row - medium pace

Circuit 2 x 3
Barbel bicep cheat curl (35#) x 12
Bicep drag curl (35#) x10
Bicep resistance band curls (out) (5#) x 10 each

Circuit 3 x 3
Incline Cable SA row (50#) x 10
Straight arm press down (60#) x 10
  #93   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:01

BF:

April 2019 Recap

3346 MEPS
1496 Minutes
68% Effort
9694 Calories
127 BPM Average Heart Rate

Not the best month of exercise but not horrible either. Adjusting to the new work schedule threw me off a few days. Then there were 2 days that my belt didn’t record.

I competed in a national skating event with my team. In our event and age group it was just us. We had to skate against the book. That does not guarantee an automatic first place. You have to score 80% to get first. Any penalty such as a timed penalty can drop you down into 2nd. An example, we saw a beautiful program set to this song https://youtu.be/Ehm4HLnr-FQ They had the bird wings & everything. Forgot one of their props on the ice and got knocked to last due to the time penalty.

We ended up first. We did awesome. Lots of positive feedback on our grogram and our dresses. This also was the first completely clean program we’ve done as a group.

Plan for May:
Skate Thursday night
Gym 5-6 days per week
  #94   ^
Old Thu, May-02-19, 12:22
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
We ended up first. We did awesome. Lots of positive feedback on our grogram and our dresses.

Congratulations Renee! Awesome is good. First place is good. And it's nice that you don't have to explain to anyone that you finished in 2nd place in your group of one. That is an interesting scoring method, but I suppose it makes sense. They don't want to give a first place to a lame performance.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, May-14-19, 19:14

BF:

Thanks Ken! I just found out that a friend of mine took a video of our competition. Here it is if anyone is interested. I am the one in green. You only get to see the end of my jump & hydro blade, but am doing the same as the pink gal. https://youtu.be/AQQm6hdd2Js
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 23:08

BF:

May 2019 Recap
6612 MEPS
2538 Minutes
72% Average Effort
18526 Calories
135 BPM Average

Pretty stellar month. I did a workout 26 of the 31 one days. I also did 3 double days where I worked out in the am & skated in the pm.

Trainer Dan has shifted my workouts to be more HIIT style while still getting the weight training in. I am trying to be more efficient with my time as I hope to be back at work by summer’s end.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 06:49

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Watched your video. So fun. I really was jonesing for some skating and could feel the cool air in the rink when I watched ha! Last time I was on skates I crashed hard and broke clavicle - need to get back out - perhaps this summer at an open skate. I skateboard sometimes at the Roseville Oval - I go inside after session and watch folks - perhaps I'll check there sched.

The Oval:

https://www.skatetheoval.com/

Continue to have an outstanding summer Renee!
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 18:54

BF:

I have been killing it so far this month. My trainer added in more HIIT with strength training so it’s pretty easy to get my 200 MEPs in in 50-80 mins. We have a hiking vacation coming up the end of the month. I’ve been doing some stair climbing and incline treadmill stuff. I started with my light backpack that I use for short hikes and mid last week switched to my full pack. I want to be used to it by the time we get out West.

Last week I did 1400 stairs with the light pack. I am doing mile walks with the big pack. 1 mile = 20 mins if I go with incline. 1 mile = 17:30 if I go for flat. The past 2 weekend I also did Saturday hikes. Different state parks. Trying to find anything with much of a hill is kinda tough. I did a 3.5 mile hike with decent hills along the bank of the St. Croix river, by the bluffs. I don’t want to die the way I did in Montana last summer. So I am training for it. I get some looks in the gym but I don’t care.

Also I am up to twice a week at the rink. Now that we are not running programs I am actually getting 180-230 MEPs in per skate. Working hard on my problem elements.
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jun-18-19, 21:11

BF:

Not sure what it was today. I went into the gym and did a number of functional exercises for skating. Then I did a mile hike with my fully loaded backpack. Left the gym 2 hours later. The time flew by. I was consistently in the yellow zone (80% Heart Rate) except the couple time I pushed it up to red (90%) or let it go down to green (70%). I didn’t even know I went that long until I checked my stats in the car. 1046 calories burned...almost 400 MEPs- 390. Probably the most I’ve ever gotten in 1 setting.

Tonight I went to group lessons at the rink. Instead of skating with the adults, I skated with the kids at my level. 15 mins of power. 10 minutes of working on back 3 turns. 10 mins of sit spins. 10 minutes of jumps: loop, half loop, & flip. I was shocked when I looked at my app & saw 21 minutes in the red. I was pretty happy with my practice- not just from an exercise stance but an improvement stance. I think I am going to do the group class with the kids the rest of the summer & see how many elements I can get to passing status.

I should be dead tired right now, but I feel full of energy.
  #100   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 10:11

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Renee you are a champ. I am drawing some inspiration from you. (I get tired just reading all you do, but I need to do something now...) Willing myself some energy...
Kat
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 21:52

BF:

Got lots of tread hikes in. Some with “hills”. Some mostly flat. I was hoping to get a real hike in at Wild River this weekend, but alas....packing & rain.

We leave for WY on Thursday and I am hoping the 15 hour drive does not destroy me too much for a moderate hike on Friday. I have a nice one picked out but it might be a little much for the Hubs who doesn’t train with his pack and hasn’t done a hike in 3 weeks.

People in the gym noticed my pack/tread training. A few asked if I was a climber. Ha! No! Old lady (compared to those young 20/30 somethings) who needs to train or will be dying like she did in Montana last year.

P.S. Can’t figure out what was in Dan’s work out on Friday that was causing the inner thigh soreness on Sat and back of thigh soreness on Sun. Usually it’s the arms that are sore as I have no upper body strength.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-19, 22:35

BF:

Back from vacay for a week & a half now. It was a bit tough getting back into the swing of things at the gym. Managed to jump from 19th to 8th in ranking for July so far. I crushed it in June prepping for my hikes. I ended up first because I did the 9 mile Cascade Canyon Hike on 6/30 and when my belt finally uploaded completely I had 989 MEPs and like 1600 calories burned. That hike put me over the top.

The top 5 were all ladies. It’s gotten quite competitive but as much as I try to focus on me, if I am close to passing someone I will give it a little extra. I have been No 1 4/5 times now. Always manage to finish top 10 each month. It is kinda funny because of my screen name (which is a play on my last name) they assume it’s a guy. People are shocked it’s a 51 yo woman.

Also I have been doing group lessons with the kids at FS4 level. I usually skate group with the adults (open level) but this summer there were so many adults/teens that I decided to skate with the kids (we have an awesome director who lets us choose). The focus on a set group of skills and the repetition has been really good. I feel like I am making a lot of progress and getting all those small tweaks in order. Skating is a very technical sport. Getting close to passing most FS4 elements except for the dance step - dang back 3 turns 😕
  #103   ^
Old Tue, Jul-23-19, 15:59

BF:

Last week was hard getting back into the swing of exercising. I was not sleeping well so that made it doubly tough. I could not go as full out as normal so I just did what I could in 60-90 mins. Normally that would bring me 200-250 MEPS but I was only able to squeeze out 150-160 in a similar time frame. I did skate twice and did about the same for each session. That still bumped me up to 3rd place.

Yesterday & today were better. Yesterday I managed to get 243 and today was 167 in 60 mins. I am going to skate tonight so not worried about it. Didn’t want to tire myself out too much but added 5lbs on weight to all my functional exercises. Tomorrow will be my last session in the gym and then I will be off for 5 days attending my reunion in California with my bestie. There is a hike that I want to do in Pinnacles National Park where you climb through a talus cave. Pretty darn excited for that.
  #104   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-19, 14:40

BF:

Just realized I never did a July 2019 Recap. I finished in 5th place with 4741 MEPs. First place was 7269. I thought my finish was good despite missing several days due to my vacays in WY/SD & California.

I did go through the Balconies Cave in Pinnacles National Park. I was a bit concerned because you have to scramble up or down depending on how you approach the cave. Plus you need a flashlight or a headlamp cuz it’s dark in there.

I followed the trail signs and approached the cave having to go down. As I was coming in, a younger guy was coming out/up and said “It’s easier coming up.” Well, I was already there and decided that if it was too hard going down I’d come out & go around...entering from the other way. The first part was the steepest so I turned on my headlamp & butt slid a short ways. It wasn’t super low in there so it wasn’t bad. A little bit of ducking and I managed to get through pretty easily. There was a tight spot where I had to duck under a boulder at the end (& not catch my backpack). I managed pretty easily. In fact, I was giddy that I made it through not only the cave but a number of really tight squeezes around & under various boulders. Doing more technical hikes like this really makes me appreciate how far I have come.

I have been doing group lessons with the kids all summer. It is way more structured to be doing a level specific class than the more open ended adult class. I have really enjoyed it and have improved a lot this summer. My sit spin is really fast & powerful. It has gotten lower. I am just shy of the 90 degrees I need for it to be passing- the revolutions are there. Loop jump is passing. Half loop is a bit cheated still but improved. Flip jump is a work in progress but small improvements made each week. Footwork is improving. I think I may do a kid class in addition to the adult class in the fall.
  #105   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-19, 14:55

BF:

Fall Fitness Plans

Skating:
*Compete at ISI Adult Champs in Texas - Ensemble, Bronze Free Skate, & FS3 compulsory
* 3 days a week skate
* New Footwork program - debut it at Holiday Open Competition

Hike:
*Sept - visit my parents in Michigan. My mom wants to hike up to a certain waterfall so I am going to do that with her.
*Oct - visit my Aunt & Uncle in Colorado Springs and hike the Manitou Incline

Gym:
* Continue training with Dan once/week
* Go to gym 3-5 times per week depending on work & skating schedules