Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 308/298.2/150 Female 5' 4.5"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default I Hit My First Goal!!!

I am a 71-year old lady with thyroid and pre-diabetes conditions. I have tried and tried to lose weight for years while my weight just kept creeping on up. Two years ago, I tried Jenny Craig, lost 30, gained 35. This March, I signed on with WW on line and didn't do a thing. Then went with Atkins, lost about 4 lbs and kept going up and down for about 2 weeks - very discouraging. So, about 2 weeks ago or so, I switched to SB, and I have been steadily losing since I started. As I spent those weeks on Atkins, I considered I had done the equivalent of the Phase 1 part of SB, so started on Phase 2.

Today, I finally crossed back under 300 lbs. and am losing about 2-3 lbs a week on this. This plan has been so easy and I can't remember when losing weight was so painless and I didn't feel always hungry and deprived. But I have to say I couldn't be happier and feel like I finally found that magic bullet I have been looking for. I don't need all the fat that Atkins allows, or all the carbs that the other programs allow. The allowance with SB is just perfect for me. Way to go.

Now to make myself exercise and I will be in wonderful shape for an old broad.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 09:20

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Congratulations, crossing the border is a wonderful feeling. Thanks for posting your success as I'm 61 and wondering if I've gotten too old to successfully lose. Your proof that I shouldn't give up hope! Thanks again!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 16:58
Registered Member

BF:

Absolutely, don't give up. If one plan doesn't work, try another one. I had about 4 or 5 low carb plans lined up to do if this one didn't work out. I know that low carb is the only way I can lose, but this was my first alternative after Atkins, and it is working so well. I'll probably stall out one of these times so will just hang in there until it starts up again. If I can do it with thyroid problems and a shot metabolism, you will be able to as well. Just follow the plan and don't get discouraged.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 20:44

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

I keep on keeping on! Actually I've got the SB books and I see he has a new one out but the low fat turns me off. Not that I think I eat a lot of fat but too many years trying to lose weight eating low fat or fat free food. It's a mental thing, I know, but not one I want to address while trying to lose weight. Summer is here and I lost a lot last summer and I'm hoping to do the same this summer but I will have to work hard at it.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 21:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/165.5/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Congrats on meeting your goal! I am glad to hear that other programs work, and that it doesn't feel like "work". Its great that you were able to find something that doesn't give you what you don't need (all the extra fat). Once I get through induction and onto maintenance, i will check out Southbeach!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 21:18

Plan: Hi-Protein, low calorie
Stats: 194/155.2/124 Female 59.5"
BF:57%/42%/22%
Progress: 55%

Kathleen,
That's really great! Into the two's, almost like visiting a new country, even if you've been there before. May it be a great cruise on down from here. And let's party!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 21:27
Registered Member

Plan: high fat low carb
Stats: 200/200/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kudos to you! Very inspiring.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

Congratulations! Well done on switching plans till you found one that worked for you!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 23:02

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 310/270/220 Male 6'-0"
BF:it is for now
Progress: 44%

Congratulations! I'm glad you found a way of eating that works for you. Good luck with your weight loss journey.

We started out at the same weight and I still remember the day I crossed into the 200's. It's a good feeling, stay with it!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 07:34
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for all your encouragement. It means a lot to me.

I hope everyone is equally successful with their programs. Even the few little pounds I've lost so far makes a big difference in how you feel. Onward and downward!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-05-08, 14:09

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 262.2/247.2/204 Female 5ft 1/2 inch
BF:
Progress: 26%

Kathleen, congratulations. You have such a valid point about changing things, if something doesn't work for you, try something else! and going 'against the grain', so to speak at your age is proof positive, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! I am 45 and have worried about how hard it is going to be to lose weight at my age.. I'm very impressed with you and your determination