Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 13:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/242/165 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Trying Again

Hello Here I am trying again found this forum hopefully for support.I have type 2 diabetes. I feel awful most days my bones hurt so bad.But on the bright side I started lowcarb Oct.15th 2018. My start weight was 254. Oct 29th 245 my weigh day is Monday I don't weigh everyday. I was disappointed today didn't lose any weight last week. But I feel smaller so maybe it was inches. I stayed strict lowcarb no cheats. I feel I have to lose this weight before diabetes takes my life.So I'm struggling along.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 15:28
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Welcome SpiderLily! I wish you the best as you get started. Support does help. Keep up your journal and visit here often. Soon you will have plenty of low carb friends to help you along.

FYI: I knocked out my type 2 diabetes long before I lost the weight. In January 2014 I felt just as you described. Although I had not yet been diagnosed as diabetic, I had all the typical symptoms of diabetes and I felt like death warmed over. Life was not good. I started eating low carb in February 2014 and the following month I had my first A1C. I was a type 2 diabetic. I was already eating low carb and my doctor told me to "just keep doing what you are doing" vs. prescribing me meds for the symptoms. I've been doing it ever since. Within a few weeks I felt better. Eating low carb everyday got my A1C down to 6.0 (pre-diabetic) by June of 2014. I still weighed 375 pounds. By the following March - 1 year into my LC lifestyle change, my A1C was 5.1 and my insulin resistance was resolved. I was still morbidly obese at 293 pounds. At that checkup my doctor took me off of high blood pressure meds and I became prescription free. The doctor's put a lot of stock in obesity as the cause and "weight loss" as the solution. I see obesity as a symptom. The same thing that made me fat also made me diabetic. It was my high carb diet loaded with process food and sweets that did it. When I changed how I eat to a low carb "real food" diet, the diabetes resolved quickly and I lost weight. It took me 30 months to lose all the weight, but only a few months eating low carb to see real progress in my health.

This way of eating works! Stick with it and you will see.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-18, 16:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

Good for you, Ken! ANd good for you for taking action Spider Lily. I don't know which Atkins plan you are doing, but I lost a 110 on Atkins DANDR (2002 version) but had to make sure I was getting most of my carbs from fresh veggies in order to lose. I also need to keep my water intake up high or I won't lose.

ALso as a woman, I found that I generally only got a good loss about 1 week a month due to hormonal shifts so I learned to only weight monthly so I wouldn't be going crazy with the scale. Stick with it and your diabetes will surely get better!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 03:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back Spider Lily

This forum is a great place to find health information under the sub-forums and threads that are permanently searchable, and terrific for support. You can join a buddy group or start a journal if that suits you, or just ask questions.

The Diabetes forum is filled with good information by reading back through a page or two of threads: http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 If you are on medications, please read the warning in sticky at top.

If you want to use an Atkins plan, consider staying on a strict induction plan of 20g total carbs and not "climbing the ladder" until near goal. Your Library should also have a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Revolution book, and with luck, Dr Jason Fung's Diabetes Code. Both good, but can also find simpler protocols from Dr Eric Westman, here's a video about it https://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf-dia...dr-eric-westman
And the diet https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf

Best short video about How to Reverse Diabetes is Dr Sarah Hallberg's 18 minute TEDTalk also on the diabetes forum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

If you ask questions on older threads or start a new one, it will pop up to top of the sub-forum and members will help you. Do you have a diagnosis why your bones hurt? Are you on statins? If it is arthritis, know that many peoplefind releif with the reduction in inflammation that comes with eating low carb. Hope that happens for you (I noticed in about 3 weeks my knee pain was less)

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-06-18 at 04:07.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 15:07

BF:

Thank's for the welcome and the advice really appreciate it.I cook a lot of fresh veggies never prepacked food's. I probably don't drink enough water need to work on that.I don't exercise can't walk far hip joints want let me or my feet throbbing non stop.I will check out these links you all shared.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 17:17

BF:

I found that eating low glycemic veggies (i.e. induction veggies) and steering clear of as many processed foods as possible alleviated a lot of my joint pain. Stick with this a month and you may find a lot of positive things happening for you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-18, 12:23

BF:

Hi everyone hope your all doing well. I'm still hanging in there. Started Atkin's low carb Oct 18th 2018. I have been doing strict low carb no cheat's. I feel better but a little disappointed. l've only lost 10 lbs .I was hoping to see a lose today. Avoiding the yummy food's my family eats like the plague.And the holiday's coming up.It's really hard especially when someone say's one bite's not going to hurt you. Yes it will worked to hard to give in now. I don't exercise can't walk far due to awful hip leg and foot pain. This is what I have for breakfast 2 slice thick cut bacon,2 scrambled in coconut oil eggs,3 sliced strawberry's coffee plain. Lunch today baked chicken thigh meat with a slice of pepperjack cheese water with crystal light. Supper green salad with boiled eggs and grilled chicken breast. Most of my meals are similar to this.So why haven't I lost more weight. Really trying hard for my health.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-18, 20:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi spider lily. Good for you to keep at it! Hav you been reading the Atkins book?

It’s so frustrating not to see a change in the scale early on.
I really had to focus on the other benefits (better sleep, less brain fog, more patience) and remind myself that clothes fitting better means that changes are happening. It has taken me 2 years to lose 30 pounds but, hey, i could be 2 years older and lost nothing, right? 2 years older and probably 10 pounds up the way I was going!! I also lost 8 right away then just had to be patient....

This sounds like a good meal plan to me.
Tweaks that I would consider if it were me:
- add a salad with lunch, or else maybe 1/2 an avocado?
- make sure your salad dressings are mostly oil and vinegar (if I use a creamy dressing I use only enough to be 1 or 2 carbs and then I cut it with more olive oil and then toss the salad for better coverage
-are you eating the skin with the chicken? Fat with pork chops, well marbled steak? Full fat cheddar cheese?

Some people find that artificial sweeteners make it hard to lose. I drink soda water with lemon, it took a while to get used to but it’s good.

Mostly I would keep going as you are...and seriously, I’ve started losing again because I’m drinking the ~%!# water every evening.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-18, 23:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

The Atkins book offers supplements to support specific problems. Suggest finding a copy of dr. Atkins diet revolution to get list of suitable supplements. Sometimes our body needs a little boost.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 04:03

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Your meals sound good, so first suggestion would be not to worry about weight loss, but to closely monitor your blood glucose levels to heal your diabetes first. Take readings before and after meals. I know three little sliced strawberries isn't much, but that may be enough to keep your BG and Insulin levels high. Consider reading Dr Fung's Diabetes Code and following Dr Westman's plan, no fruit, based on what Dr Atkins used in his clinic. Heal your body and diabetes first, bringing down fasting insulin levels will make weight loss easier. Focus on the fact you already feel better, but you need to heal the pain and inflammation you have in joints. And often people do lose inches and not pounds...going by how your clothes fit is another way to measure progress.

Second guess why weight loss is slow is that you might be on one of the many medications, prescription and OTC, that hinder weight loss. NSAIDs, even the OTC ibuprofens, May do that, and any diabetes medications, injected or oral, except metformin. Any hormone meds and BP meds too...Here's the whole list at post 4, with other adds in this thread. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453311

And I agree with Blue Ruby, try to lose the crystal light and drink plain water or tea. Some people find that AS itself hinders weight,loss, but worse the sweet taste continues your cravings for sweets. I mostly avoid them, but at holidays do make some sweetened dessert for me so I have an alternative to the sugary pies. I started LC in early August, this was the first dessert I made for Thanksgiving, though not with a cup of Splenda but about a 1/3 c. Swevre. http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/pumpkin_bake.html

By now you should have lost most carb cravings and have less hunger, you do not have to eat three meals a day, only eat when hungry, stop when full. Another tip: Know Your Why. Read yours everyday this week, especially before meals. https://cookingketowithkristie.com/...-know-your-why/
Hang in there!

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Nov-20-18 at 05:18.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 08:11

BF:

Thank you all for your advice it means a lot. I have tried to eat avocado I just can't do it lol it's yuck. I use 2 tablespoons of ranch dressing mixed with dill pickle juice as my salad dressing. I will stop the crystal lite. I don't take any meds other than a Aleve for pain I stopped them on my on they made me so sick. I feel so much better without metformin. My doctor may not like it but at least I'm not nauseated every min of my life.I have the Atkins book it's my go to guide most time's.But nothing like a real persons advice. Another disappointment this morning was 244 now 244.2 :-(
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 09:01

BF:

You may want to stay away from the scale an concentrate on the process for awhile if the scale is going to make you miserable. I tried it the first week---my pants were fitting better and better but the scale climbed 3-4 pounds. Our bodies do weird stuff, especially at the beginning. But the inches were going off. Focus on eating right, drinking your water and moving.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-20-18, 22:42

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm concerned about this pain you are feeling. Inflammation is the enemy of weight loss. Do you know what's causing it? Are you pursuing treatment. Weight is not causing the pain - there must be something else going on. Figuring that out might get you on a good path, although you've lost a nice amount so far. Don't worry about being up .2 pounds. Look at the general trend! When you do bloat a bit, note that. Anything that bloats us tends to lead to weight gain in the long run, in my experience.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-18, 10:18

BF:
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
I'm concerned about this pain you are feeling. Inflammation is the enemy of weight loss. Do you know what's causing it? Are you pursuing treatment. Weight is not causing the pain - there must be something else going on. Figuring that out might get you on a good path, although you've lost a nice amount so far. Don't worry about being up .2 pounds. Look at the general trend! When you do bloat a bit, note that. Anything that bloats us tends to lead to weight gain in the long run, in my experience.

The cause of my pain is Diabetes type 2,Neuropathy and Arthritis it's not my weight.I want to lose this weight because I'm so tired of being fat.I want to go out and buy clothes with my hubby without being embarrassed. I always tell him no I don't need anything.I don't attend any gathering's if possible.I feel like I hold my family back from activities they enjoy because I can't do them anymore...Depressing
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-21-18, 11:51

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderLily
The cause of my pain is Diabetes type 2,Neuropathy and Arthritis it's not my weight.I want to lose this weight because I'm so tired of being fat.I want to go out and buy clothes with my hubby without being embarrassed. I always tell him no I don't need anything.I don't attend any gathering's if possible.I feel like I hold my family back from activities they enjoy because I can't do them anymore...Depressing

That makes sense. Do you have anyone helping you with it? I work in aquatics and I have seen people make uncredible progress on their pain just from aquatic exercise - I know one woman who went from a stair lift to completely normal mobility just from doing a water class faithfully. That's the arthritis. Neuropathy sounds SO painful. I hope as you keep going with low carb it gets better for you. I will be rooting for you.