Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Our Website > Comments Box and Technical Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 17:52

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%
Default Zero Carb Forum Request

Dear Moderators,

Thanks for creating a wonderful supportive space where many low-carb plans can coexist. This board is one of the best online forums I've seen on ANY subject, with a high signal-to-noise ratio and a very friendly environment. You don't always hear praise as much as you hear complaints, even when people are very happy with you. So I thought I'd start off with that so you know I'm already 99.9% satisfied with everything here.

Now here's the 0.1%: I've heard that requests for a ZC/VLC/Carnivore forum have been denied in the past. Forgive me for my ignorance - I don't know why they were, so I may be repeating some moot points here. But in the past few days, the ZC thread has gotten really busy, with a lot of new members migrating over from other internet forums. Several people have noted that it would be easier to follow all the threads of discussion if there were a dedicated forum area, and I'd like to know if the time has finally come to create one.

In the past, I think many ZCers have been content with using the Paleo forum. Like Paleo, ZC doesn't seem to have a particular "plan," although there are a few books commonly recommended. There seem to be many dairy users among the ZCers now, so I think there's a legitimate distinction between the two. There is, after all, a "moderate carb" forum already, so in my mind a VLC forum would complete the spectrum logically.

Please let me know where things stand on this matter currently. Thanks for your consideration!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 18:12
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Dear Moderators,

Thanks for creating a wonderful supportive space where many low-carb plans can coexist. This board is one of the best online forums I've seen on ANY subject, with a high signal-to-noise ratio and a very friendly environment. You don't always hear praise as much as you hear complaints, even when people are very happy with you. So I thought I'd start off with that so you know I'm already 99.9% satisfied with everything here.

Now here's the 0.1%: I've heard that requests for a ZC/VLC/Carnivore forum have been denied in the past. Forgive me for my ignorance - I don't know why they were, so I may be repeating some moot points here. But in the past few days, the ZC thread has gotten really busy, with a lot of new members migrating over from other internet forums. Several people have noted that it would be easier to follow all the threads of discussion if there were a dedicated forum area, and I'd like to know if the time has finally come to create one.

In the past, I think many ZCers have been content with using the Paleo forum. Like Paleo, ZC doesn't seem to have a particular "plan," although there are a few books commonly recommended. There seem to be many dairy users among the ZCers now, so I think there's a legitimate distinction between the two. There is, after all, a "moderate carb" forum already, so in my mind a VLC forum would complete the spectrum logically.

Please let me know where things stand on this matter currently. Thanks for your consideration!

Hi there, here is the most recent reply on this subject: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...12&postcount=35

I can tell you that this subject remains under discussion by admins and mods.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-15-10, 21:14
Registered Member

Plan: Zero Carb / Warrior Diet
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress:

I appreciate the moderators' consideration of this request. I recently came here from another ZC forum and know many ZCers have recently come. I want to tell you how enthusiastically I feel about ALC. I feel so at home here and so comfortable. We ZC/VLCers don't want the new forum to isolate ourselves from the rest of you. I read around the whole forum. We only want the forum for convenience and to make it easier for our members, veterans and newbies, to find our posts and threads, and to make it more supportive.

Thank you again, Katelyn.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 07:35

Plan: ZC carnivore
Stats: 220/194.5/180 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 64%

Please give us our own sub forum. There many of us and unfortunately one thread on the buddy forum is not enough as we have many topics to discuss. Thank you for your re-evaluation of this subject.

Last edited by Paleoeat : Sun, Jan-17-10 at 07:41.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 07:49

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
I can tell you that this subject remains under discussion by admins and mods.

I'm so glad to see that it is still under consideration - there are new members joining our thread everyday and it becomes nearly impossible to keep up.

I've posted often on the Paleo forum even though I am not Paleo simply because there was no other place to pose my questions (and everyone is super friendly over there).

Now we have our own thread to post too but with so many people and members it is difficult to answer/see questions. Every time I check in I have to go back several pages just to try to keep up. A sub-forum would make things so much easier.

Again, thanks for your consideration!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 11:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Please stop the campaigning now, thank you.

We're well aware of the mass exodus of members from another zero-carb board in the last few days, and the reason(s) for it. We're also well aware of previous conflicts at other low-carb boards too. We're sorry you've had these negative experiences, and hope you find your time at Active Low-Carber Forums to be more rewarding. However, real or perceived conflict, whether at another board or with members on this board, is not a valid reason to create a new forum.

We'd especially like to remind everyone that by clicking the "I Agree" button on the Forum Rules page, you became a member of a larger low-carb support community, and not just an isolated group where carbs must never be mentioned. It's been said that we are more tolerant here than some other places, and while this may be true, we also expect our members to be more tolerant as well. The harsh rules which may have dictated your behavior elsewhere do not apply at Active Low-Carber. If you were in a hurry to join your friends here, and perhaps didn't read the rules before agreeing to them, it would be a good idea to go back and read them now.

Newcomers are encouraged to start a journal here so that you can track your progress, and others can stop by to offer more personal encouragement and commentary. You may start your own thread in the Journals forum, and an icon link will be added to your profile automatically. This link will appear at the top right corner of every page, where it says Welcome, member so you can easily jump to your own thread. It will also appear at the bottom of your posts, so friends can easily locate each other's threads. Having your own place to discuss personal concerns should help to ease congestion in the group thread in Buddies forum.

We're glad to read some of you appreciate that you're part of a low-carb and not a pure zero-carb community. We'd like to see sustained evidence of this in the coming weeks/months. In other words, "show us, don't tell us" . Unfortunately, we've seen too many incidents of intolerance of non-purist "meat and water only" views and zc proselytizing in low-carb discussion threads. These attitudes may be encouraged and even formalized in the rules at other boards, but they're not welcome here.

best regards

Doreen
Closed Thread