Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 02:57

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%
Default High-Fat diets make you drowsy?

Diet Linked to Daytime Sleepiness and Alertness in Healthy Adults

Link Here:

May 7, 2013 — A new study suggests that your level of sleepiness or alertness during the day may be related to the type of food that you eat.

Results show that higher fat consumption was associated with increased objective daytime sleepiness, while higher carbohydrate intake was associated with increased alertness. There was no relationship between protein consumption and sleepiness or alertness. These findings were independent of the subjects' gender, age, and body mass index as well as the total amount of sleep they were getting and their total caloric intake.

"Increased fat consumption has an acute adverse effect on alertness of otherwise healthy, non-obese adults," said principal investigator Alexandros Vgontzas, MD, professor of psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, Pa.

The research abstract was published recently in an online supplement of the journal SLEEP, and Vgontzas will present the findings Tuesday, June 4, in Baltimore, Md., at SLEEP 2013, the 27th annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC.

The study group comprised 31 healthy, non-obese normal sleepers without sleep apnea, ranging in age from 18-65 years, who spent four consecutive nights in a sleep lab. On the fourth day objective sleepiness was assessed with the Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT), and meals were provided five times to assess diet.

According to the authors, previous studies had found that diet composition affects subjective sleepiness. The current study adds to this body of research by showing a similar association between diet and objective sleepiness.

"Excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue are very prevalent in the modern world and on the rise," said Vgontzas. "It appears that a diet high in fat decreases alertness acutely, and this may have an impact on an individual's ability to function and also public safety."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 04:09

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSpud
Diet Linked to Daytime Sleepiness and Alertness in Healthy Adults

Link Here:

May 7, 2013 — A new study suggests that your level of sleepiness or alertness during the day may be related to the type of food that you eat.

Results show that higher fat consumption was associated with increased objective daytime sleepiness, while higher carbohydrate intake was associated with increased alertness. There was no relationship between protein consumption and sleepiness or alertness. These findings were independent of the subjects' gender, age, and body mass index as well as the total amount of sleep they were getting and their total caloric intake.

"Increased fat consumption has an acute adverse effect on alertness of otherwise healthy, non-obese adults," said principal investigator Alexandros Vgontzas, MD, professor of psychiatry at the Penn State College of Medicine in Hershey, Pa.

The research abstract was published recently in an online supplement of the journal SLEEP, and Vgontzas will present the findings Tuesday, June 4, in Baltimore, Md., at SLEEP 2013, the 27th annual meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies LLC.

The study group comprised 31 healthy, non-obese normal sleepers without sleep apnea, ranging in age from 18-65 years, who spent four consecutive nights in a sleep lab. On the fourth day objective sleepiness was assessed with the Multiple Sleep Latency Test (MSLT), and meals were provided five times to assess diet.

According to the authors, previous studies had found that diet composition affects subjective sleepiness. The current study adds to this body of research by showing a similar association between diet and objective sleepiness.

"Excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue are very prevalent in the modern world and on the rise," said Vgontzas. "It appears that a diet high in fat decreases alertness acutely, and this may have an impact on an individual's ability to function and also public safety."

Well I'm the exception to that one!!!! When I ate carbs, I always needed an afternoon nap and was always lethargic. Now I'm high fat, low carb, I'm unstoppable lol!!!!

Jo xxx
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Same here. High carb made me not only "objectively" sleepier, but "actually" sleepier. If the opportunity presented itself I always wanted a nap. Really can't sleep during the day now on a low carb higher fat diet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 07:53

Stats: 247/198.5/169 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I also find I have more energy with LC eating, but I do sleep better at night. Probably because I do more during the day and no heartburn.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 08:07
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Vgontzas will present the findings Tuesday, June 4, in Baltimore, Md.
Only a 4 day study with 31 subjects and they didn't bother to specify what else they ate. It will likely make mainstream news anyways before peer review and publication because it disses FAT.

BTW: Nodding off during the days is a thing of the past now for me too, even after a poor nights sleep as long as I stay off the carbs.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 08:16
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder if it is because they're not adapted to run off of fat like most of us are.
Here's Dr. Briffa's rebuttal:
Do low-carb diets really make people sleepy?
Quote:
I came across this story today. Published yesterday in the Daily Mail, it reports research in which, apparently, high-fat meals were found to induce sleepiness in individuals, compared to high-carb ones. I have looked for this study on-line and can find no trace of it (only references to it). What this sometimes means is that the reports have been written on the basis of a press release and not the actual study.

Another clue that it’s the press release that formed the basis of this report is the presence of quotes from the lead investigator. These don’t just appear in the Daily Mail piece, but also one that was published in the Daily Telegraph here. Here are the quotes in question from professor of psychiatry Alexandros Vgontzas:

Increased fat consumption has an acute adverse effect on alertness of otherwise healthy, non-obese adults.

Excessive daytime sleepiness and fatigue are very prevalent in the modern world and are on the rise.

It appears that a diet high in fat decreases alertness acutely, and this may have an impact on an individual’s ability to function, and also on public safety.

Also, here’s the opening lines from the Telegraph piece:

It’s not clear if the fatty foods such as ‘chips and red meat’ or the carbohydrate-rich foods such as ‘pasta or a sandwich’ are the meals that were tested in this study or the journalist’s interpretation of these foods. Anyway, it’s impossible to glean any useful detail about the study from the reports but, as I say, I could not trace the study on-line so remain none-the-wiser.

What struck me as I read these reports was how this research appears to have yielded results that are the polar opposite of what I find to be consistently true in practice. Namely, that when individuals scale back their carbohydrate intake and put a little more emphasis on protein and fat (meat, eggs, oily fish and nuts), they almost always see a significant improvement in their energy levels, particularly through the afternoon.

I suspect a few mechanisms may be going on here including:

1. less risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) subsequent to the sugar surge many starchy foods including bread, pasta and potato tend to induce

2. less risk of suffering from fatigue that can come as a result of food sensitivity issues that I find are quite common with wheat

3. heightened supply of amino acids (building blocks of protein) into the brain that can enhance mental energy and focus through increased production of ‘neurotransmitters’ such as noradrenaline and dopamine

Anyway, all this matters less, in my opinion, to the fact that I find improvements in energy and concentration on a lower-carb more ‘primal’ diet to be extremely consistent.

But it appears I’m not the only one who has experience of this phenomenon. The Daily Mail allows readers the opportunity to vote on responses given to an article. The system is biased by the fact that the longer a comment has been up, the greater opportunity there is to amass either positive or negative votes. Nevertheless, here below are the most popular responses at the time of writing. What you’ll see here is comment after comment making, essentially, the same point that I make here: carbohydrate-rich diets do not tend to make people more alert at all - in fact quite the reverse is true. The truth is, when individuals scale back carbs and put more emphasis on protein and fat, the usual effect is one of enhanced energy and mental focus.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 08:48

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I'm guessing the folks in this study are equating high fat with onion rings (as shown in the accompanying photo) and desserts. They do this time after time. Try giving the subjects a tablespoon of coconut oil....bet they're not dozing off then.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 10:21

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What a load of bilge. One of the first, and most marked, effects of my low carb life was the lack of the Near-Coma-After-Lunch-Syndrome.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 12:43

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

yeah...eat fries and a burger at lunch, and it's about the same as taking sleeping pills for me. Sugarcarbcrap makes me sleepy. Fat does not.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-09-13, 12:51

Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I'm guessing the folks in this study are equating high fat with onion rings (as shown in the accompanying photo) and desserts. They do this time after time. Try giving the subjects a tablespoon of coconut oil....bet they're not dozing off then.
Exactly. I looked at the link but wasn't able to find the complete study to read. Wonder if they had cake, cookies, fries, etc. No wonder they were sleepy! Many low carb eaters struggle to get enough fat right after they lower carb intake because we are so used to eating butter - with bread. Or potato chips or whatever.So not unreasonable to assume they were high fat/high carb foods. Also agree that it is a very small number of subjects and if I read it right, they only tested the diet connection on day 4. Someone correct me if I misunderstood.

Anyway, this is not even a blip on the radar of nutrition IMHO.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 03:45

Stats: 251/218.2/200 Male 76 inches
BF:
Progress: 64%

This article is just the opposite from reality. When I ate carbs it almost put me in a coma protein had no effect at all.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 08:06

Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 117%

It is annoying that the study cannot be found for review. To me, it sounds like basically a four or five day study. If that is true, and assuming it was a clean high fat diet like one that would move test subjects into ketosis, then I would say its more akin to "Atkins flu" type sleepiness. what a ridiculous waste of research money.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 08:19

Plan: Primal-ish
Stats: 172/158/132 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 35%

A commenter on Dr Briffa's post about it found the abstract, at least. It's in this huge 489 page PDF file (just to warn you before you click):
http://www.journalsleep.org/Resourc...tSupplement.pdf
It’s on page A335, abstract number 0977. And as Dr Briffa said, has very little merit at all, as it's epidemiological, not even a proper clinical study.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 08:58

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53

The article is utter nonsense. I've never had so much energy in my life and I'm sixty-freaking-three. And, yes, a spoonful of coconut oil is like getting a shot of adrenaline. It makes me so sad for those people who will believe this misleading report and won't realize there is a distinction between the word "fat" being used to describe onion rings and French fries as opposed to "fat" meaning butter, coconut oil, and unprocessed meat.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-10-13, 11:39

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

The carbs in the low-carb diet - but not the high-carb diet - must be wheat.