Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 17:41

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Look at the cost per pound for vegan foods at the grocery. Real meat is usually less.

Yep - the Aldi ad for this week has the Beyond Meat burgers on sale: 8 oz for $4.49. Target has the same 1/2 lb package of Beyond Meat burgers listed online for $5.99.... for two lousy 4 oz burgers. That puts the price per pound between $9 and $12.

You could buy a full pound of organic ground beef far cheaper than that, even some organic steaks would be cheaper per pound.

(Not that I buy organic - like Zei and CityGirl, I'm on limited finances, so buy the best I can for what I can afford.)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 23:28
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

My local market has Wagyu* ground beef. Pricey, but it's the best I've tried next to Alderspring Ranch. For cheap I buy Walmart ground chuck in a roll. It tastes fresh and doesn't dry out when cooked like previously frozen meat does.

*Wagyu is any of the four Japanese breeds of beef cattle.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 10:20

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
grassfed hamburger runs about $4-8 a pound here. Most is coming from Australia.
Wow. I buy regular hamburger in large packs at Costco and it's $3.99/lb.! Grass-fed is easily twice that, though I guess that does get in at your high end of $8. When it's available, it's close to twice what non-grass-fed is. Most of what I see is at my local farmer's market. Also, unlike everywhere else I've lived, the farmer's market here is much more expensive than the supermarket. Wherever it's sold, most grass-fed beef I see around here is $15–$25/lb. depending on the cut.

My finances aren't extremely limited, but given how much meat I eat, $15–$25/lb is too much for me. If I was able to buy farm-direct, it would be more in the $10–$15 range, with cheaper cuts like ground beef or chuck roast.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 11:06

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Grass-fed hamburger at BJ's here in Philadelphia runs about 5.50 to 6.50 a pound, but goes on sale often enough to be considered 5 to 6 dollars a pound. Generally speaking, meat is significantly higher in regular grocery stores so I have to confess to not being familiar with their prices for grass-fed hamburger.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 12:18

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I really, really wish that my budget would stretch to grass-finished meat. It would if I could buy in large amounts farm-direct, but I don't have the freezer space for it (or room for an extra freezer since I live in an apartment). But the selection at the supermarket is small and very expensive.

I keep working on gradually improving the quality of food that I buy and hopefully, one day, I'll get there.

In the meantime, I'm still not giving up my beef for someone's ill-informed "plant-based" diet.

Aldi sells good 100% organic 100% grass fed for a reasonable price.

Me? I'd do with fewer shoes, less jewelry, unfashionable clothes, no cable TV, not run the AC, no bottled water, and a bunch of other things to put better food in my body. It's a matter of priorities.

If you drive accelerating gradually as if there was an egg shell between your foot and the accelerator and when you see the light red ahead or a slower speed limit take your foot off the gas, you can get 100 extra miles per tankful. I've done this with 3 cars in a row. That's enough to put into better food and you get there within 5 minutes of when you would have otherwise.

Again, it's priorities. Grass fed is better for you too. It has a better balance of omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids, plus it has CLA which helps you lose weight, corn finished beef does not.

But everybody's priorities are different, mine are not for everybody.

Bob
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 12:37

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I just can't imagine how someone who is vegan and diabetic can prevent themselves from getting much worse because most of them are eating a ton of pure starchy carbs..

For protein, how much peanut butter does one person want to eat?? More carbs with some protein.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 13:02

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

My 3 pack of strip steaks this week cost....drum roll please...
$3.77 per pound!!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-19, 14:22

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do stock when I can the grass-fed local Florida beef they carry at Publix. I figure I’m doing what’s good for my body as well as helping save the carbon footprint due to reduced transport costs.

The other day, however, I took my grandkids to Burger King. It’s right next door to “Doing Dishes” where the grandkids love to paint plates which then get fired in a kiln. Plus it has a great indoor playground, very nice during Florida summers.

Anyway my 10-year-old grandson wanted to try the Impossible Burger. I told him “ that’s the one that’s not actually meat you know”. He said he knew but wanted to try it anyway. And so he did and said it actually tasted pretty good. I asked him if I could have one bite and it actually was pretty tasty! But of course highly processed and pretty carby.

But my grandson kept going on about how it was more “healthy” than eating meat. His mom is a carnivore and they always have meat at dinner. Where does this come from? Are they teaching it at school? And my grandson loves steak and that’s what he requested for his birthday dinner last month.

But a FB relative just boasted proudly today that she’s been meat free for over a year now, and begging everyone to come join her to save the planet.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-19, 15:48

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Propaganda wars, propagated by the factory farming industry and the militant vegans. And I'm afraid we are going to lose that war.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 04:54

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Hard-pressed farmers are the real victims of an ideological war on meat

As I write this, I have in front of me a programme for the National Farmers’ Union annual dinner dance from 2005. It contains a list of past chairmen going back to 1920, and on the front this quote from Cicero: “There is nothing better than farming, nothing more fruitful, nothing more delightful, nothing more worthy of a free man.” The sense of what it means to be a farmer, and that it is truly something to be proud of, is palpable.

Things today, sadly, could hardly be more different. Depression and high suicide rates in the farming community are well recognised and prevalent all over the world. But to some of the old reasons for this – isolation, financial pressure and a reluctance to seek help – we can now add a new one: the victimisation of farmers by the increasingly extreme environmental movement. Far from being respected and appreciated, farmers are modern society’s whipping boys and girls.

It was heartening to see Minette Batters, the NFU president, taking the fight to Tesco this week by expressing the concern of many farmers at one of the supermarket’s recent adverts. This featured a meat-loving dad giving in to his daughter when she says: “Daddy, I don’t want to eat animals any more.” No doubt some viewers found it cute. But for farmers whose livelihoods are at risk due to the demonisation of meat, the mawkishness and subtle-as-a-brick sermonising came as yet another kick.

We live in a time of polarisation, where black and white opinions dominate, and failing to take a stand damns you. Extinction Rebellion and a range of influential commentators have taken the stance that livestock farming is responsible for everything from health problems to climate change. Farming and farmers make nice easy targets.

There is no doubt that intensive systems have not been good for either animal welfare or the environment. But it is unfair to blame the individual farmer when harsh economic reality has simply meant many smaller, more sustainable farms cannot survive, and have to be swallowed up by larger neighbours. It is also unfair to portray those farms that do operate in such a manner as being indicative of the industry as a whole.

On our farm, we go to great lengths to work in an environmentally-friendly way. Our soil is enriched by the manure of grazing animals, promoting biodiversity. Natural land use means drainage is maintained, reducing the risk of flooding. We have hedges and trees which provide shelter and food for birds and small animals.

But I don’t think there’s an extreme vegan or green activist in the country who has the least bit of interest in small farmers like me, or our hard work on behalf of the environment. They’d rather ignore this good work so they can keep up their ideologically-motivated campaign. How can this not affect farmers’ sense of worth?

There are many excellent organisations doing their best to support farmers and farm workers in distress. Nevertheless, a recent survey among farmers under the age of 40 found that 81 per cent believe mental ill health is the biggest hidden problem faced by the community. I just hope that campaigners think of that next time they try to make farmers the scapegoats for society’s ills.

Noreen Wainwright is a dairy farmer in the Staffordshire Moorlands
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...gical-war-meat/

JANET STREET-PORTER: I don't mind going meat-free now and again but Tesco's Carl-and-Chloe vegan propaganda ad leaves me feeling nauseous

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...g-nauseous.html

Quote:
Vegans, like cyclists, are sensitive souls who can't understand why meat eaters like me find so many of them humourless, self-righteous bores.
In their eyes, humans can't eat meat a couple of days a week and opt for healthy vegetables the rest of the time.

Life is a series of all-or-nothing decisions. Eat a bit of everything and you're an environmental vandal with no regard for animal welfare.

Militant vegans are like Stalinists. They see just two kinds of diet; a plant-based regime (which even shuns honey and avocados out of concern for bees) and the wrong regime.

Dairy products like delicious Camembert or double cream are the devil's work.

Relentless campaigning to turn the world's population away from eating meat and fish employs every PR trick in the book and their latest victory involves the UK's largest retailer, Tesco.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 06:46

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I'm certain that Tesco's primary motivation in all of this is the health of their customers and the animals that inhabit the planet. Tesco doesn't give a toss about plants, which are living things as well but don't show emotion when they are brutally killed at harvest for the vegans and vegetarians who support plantocide. While no one talks about this, the destruction of all living things is what keeps me awake at night. We could eat dirt, but healthy dirt contains bacteria, fungi, and other living organisms causing even more conflict. What a world, what a world.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 09:18

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Rob, cant be sure if you are being sarcastic , or not, just one of my quirks...... years ago when I was working thru the ethics of producing and eating meats, my thinking came full circle. That killing plants to eat like carrots, or potatoes, meant vegetabkes and fruits deserved consideration. My prayers of thanks for my food soared.......now Im far more conscious of the web of life, including the importance of fungii and bacteria in healthy soils.

The level of food waste is staggering. We need better systems of production , processing and use.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 09:30

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Even the editorial in support of eating meat implied that she "knew" it wasn't good for her, but maybe there was some compromise:
Quote:
In their eyes, humans can't eat meat a couple of days a week and opt for healthy vegetables the rest of the time.

Can you imagine that instead this had read "In their eyes, humans can't eat vegetables a couple of days a week and opt for healthy meat the rest of the time"? Because it's still the vegetables that are healthy and meat should still just be a couple of days a week.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 13:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have a varying appetite. I no longer eat a whole pound of grass-fed Aldi's hamburger at a sitting.

But nothing satisfies my hunger like protein, and I can only get that from animal products.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-19, 14:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just can't imagine how someone who is vegan and diabetic can prevent themselves from getting much worse because most of them are eating a ton of pure starchy carbs..

For protein, how much peanut butter does one person want to eat?? More carbs with some protein.

ah ya..... Buddist monks on aTV program are very limited in their ability to manage T2D. They are no meat. Wonder if that includes crickets??? lol