Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 01:47

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Stop this foolish war on meat! Eating it could help save the planet

Stop this foolish war on meat! Eating it could help save the planet

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/...KER-BOWLES.html

Quote:
Last night, I ate a steak. Very good it was too. A plump, exquisitely marbled slab of sirloin, beautifully seasoned and cooked blushing pink. It had come from Martin Player, a proper Cardiff butcher, who takes his meat, as well as the animal’s welfare, very seriously indeed. Just like any other decent butcher.

Grass-fed, fully traceable and properly hung, it was a paean to not just fine flavour, but first- class farming practice too. Sensible, sustainable agriculture, where the welfare of the animal is every bit as important as its impact upon the environment.

Yet this magnificent piece of beef is no longer mere dinner. Instead it has become a pawn in the gathering war on meat: a hysterical, ill-informed, one-size-fits-all assault that demonises farmers, butchers and consumers alike. A weapon, if you like, of grass destruction.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 08:52

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

100% support for grass fed/ grass finished beef.... and lamb.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 09:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That this article had to be written is disturbing. Sound science has gone the way of the Passenger Pigeon. To equate the recommendation to not eat meat to more unsound science is heaping fraud upon fraud. It's likely there will become a time when free will and freedom of choice will be eliminated for "our own good." That's when the "anointed" impose behaviors to save us and future generations. Very sad to even witness attempts at this.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 18:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Excellent piece. If only it were easier to obtain grass-fed meat from good butchers at decent prices.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 18:52

BF:

Rosebud, I wish it was cheaper ,too.

As I raise lamb, the prices are reasonable. When customers didn't appreciate the extra cost involved, we stopped selling lamb and put the meat in our own freezer.

We all used to eat grass fed-grass finished....we have been warped by cheaper grain fed meats. In recent years I too have learned the nutritive value of grass fed.

A small portion of great meat is far more nutritious than most realize and why a meat only diet is possible.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 08:15

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

There are billions of acres of grasslands that would need extensive fertilizer, herbicides, pesticides, and irrigation to grow crops. Cows can graze there with nothing other than what mother nature provides.

This war on meat I suspect is instigated by big agriculture, and we must fight the propaganda every chance we get.

Bob
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 08:44

BF:

Yup, good grasslands require good management practices to maximize production of both cattle, goats or sheep and grasses and forbes.

Many farms and ranches are returning to these traditional methods.

Requires more fencing, drinking water management, etc.

Far less need for herbicides, pestcides, and supersized ag vehicles for monoculture .

Good grassland also requires care, rest, and sometimes reseeding. There are farms that rotate fields. One local diary has a field that switches from corn, which I think is ensiled, and then reseeded for hay. This is from observation when driving by.

Much of the push is we must have grains to feed everyone. That is where genetic engineering is touted and the issue becomes complicated...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 09:36

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I really, really wish that my budget would stretch to grass-finished meat. It would if I could buy in large amounts farm-direct, but I don't have the freezer space for it (or room for an extra freezer since I live in an apartment). But the selection at the supermarket is small and very expensive.

I keep working on gradually improving the quality of food that I buy and hopefully, one day, I'll get there.

In the meantime, I'm still not giving up my beef for someone's ill-informed "plant-based" diet.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 11:52

BF:

grassfed hamburger runs about $4-8 a pound here. Most is coming from Australia.

I encourage people to keep a few hens. they are easy. And eggs are better than commercial ones. Otherwise Pete and Gerry brand are widely available.

Given the raging diseases that hit us as we age, foods is our medicine. "Pay the Farmer now, or pay the Pharma later."

Just do what you can.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 13:25

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
foods is our medicine

YES!!!!!!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 14:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I've been astonished (though I shouldn't be) at the huge shelf and freezer space allotted to vegan and vegetarian foods at my run-of-the-mill grocery and Target! Especially the Beyond Meat and soy-based crap. It's taking over in a short period of time!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 14:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
I've been astonished (though I shouldn't be) at the huge shelf and freezer space allotted to vegan and vegetarian foods at my run-of-the-mill grocery and Target! Especially the Beyond Meat and soy-based crap. It's taking over in a short period of time!

That soy crap is not only deficient of all normal protein but since the soy is not fermented it's dangerous, poison.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 15:35

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I really, really wish that my budget would stretch to grass-finished meat. It would if I could buy in large amounts farm-direct, but I don't have the freezer space for it (or room for an extra freezer since I live in an apartment). But the selection at the supermarket is small and very expensive.

I keep working on gradually improving the quality of food that I buy and hopefully, one day, I'll get there.

In the meantime, I'm still not giving up my beef for someone's ill-informed "plant-based" diet.

Definitely agree with this! And same problem here, the price for higher quality foods. With a lot of other needs in my budget which must be met and can't be reduced, food is something that can be and is. I've no doubt food from animals properly raised and fed is better for us and the planet and the higher costs in producing these products is justified. If they're outside of one's budget, you do the best you can with what you can afford. I got a great discount this week on a bunch of beef the store was going to throw out if not bought right away. Not the best quality stuff, sure, but a huge health improvement over the inexpensive processed carbs it's replaced.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 16:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14

Vegan is a food processor's dream. For such a supposedly-healthy diet, it's as dependent on processed foods as the SAD.

Here a vegan will protest that they make delish stuff at home, but have you seen those recipes? Some of them take hours. No way it is happening as often as they say
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-19, 17:19

BF:

Look at the cost per pound for vegan foods at the grocery. Real meat is usually less.