Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 14:57

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%
Question Can NOT taking Metformin cause a stall? HELP!

Hello all!

First some background. I began Atkins Induction on 1/27/04 at 385 and proceeded to lose 26 pounds to stop at 359 on 02/14/04. A very fast loss to be sure.

However, I have since been stuck at 359 since 02/14 and even had a brief 4 day period this week where I bumped back up to 360. As of today I "think" I have returned to 359. And here I sit. I have now gone 12 days and have not gone below 359.

Now, I knew that I was losing fast, and that a plateau would hit. I can accept that. But I also don't want this to drag on forever. So in a proactive state of mind, I am wondering if this "stall" is less related to Atkins and more related to my Diabetes and medications. This is why.

Before I began Atkins, I was on Glucovance and Avandia for my Type II diabetes. On the first day of Induction, I went really hypo with the lower carb intake and after consulting with the doc, decided to stop BOTH diabetes meds. I have since maintained truly awesome BG numbers (average 90-105) during this entire time and saw the doc again on 02/10 to confirm that I should remain off diabetes meds as long as my meter checks were doing well. I check approx. 6 times a day, usually before and after each meal, with occasional checks before bed. I am also scheduled for another HA1C in April to see just how well my control has been.

Now, I have read other post here and elsewhere which discuss Metformin and the role it serves in making cells more receptive to insulin and it's effect on weightloss. I am not sure I fully understand the mechanisms at play here. Could someone enlighten me?

Is it possible that because I am type II diabetic and therefore insulin-resistant, that because I don't take Metformin (or a similar medication which increases insulin sensitivity) that this is why my weightloss has stalled??

I realize I had an awesome weightloss up to now when viewing the entire length of time. But, my recent plateau has got me to questioning whether I should consider (even though my BG's have been really good) asking my doc to give me some Metformin to help increase my insulin usage.

Is is OK or advisable to take Metformin when your BG's are good? I thought the point was to get off diabetes meds altogether. Is it possible that I will always need to take Metformin in part because of the insulin-resistance issue - even if I still maintain good BG's and have awesome HA1C's??

I guess I am starting to get concerened that my body may be fighting the weightloss and sabotaging me becauce of my insulin-resistance. Is it possible to be a type II diabetic and NOT be insulin resistant??

What are your opinions about my next course of action? Should I ask for Metformin or should I continue to see how my weight progresses?? And for how long?

I know that I have written a lot here, but I like to be clear and thorough when it comes to this. Any help, advice, or insight would be greatly appreciated. If something is unclear, let me know. And thanks to all who read all of this and respond.

BTW, I have not changed ANY component of the diet I followed at the beginning. I am still maintaining what I consider a "clean" induction level of carbs (20-25) and avoid all of the most common stall-inducing foods. Check my FItday link below for a complete picture of my daily intake. Any suggestions there would help too.

JFF

Last edited by JustForFun : Thu, Feb-26-04 at 15:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 18:48

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 240/171/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Since doctors prescribe Metformin for women that have PCOS, I don't see why they wouldn't give you some for IR. However, many doctors feel that the possible side effects of any drug need to be weighed carefully before taken. You would also need liver/kidney function tests before beginning the drug. I was quite successful at weight loss while on Metformin, but wanted off of it because of possible side effects.

BTW, stalling right after an initial lost is very common. Adding exercise (one hour per day) should quickly break that stall!
Best Wishes,
Sherry
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-26-04, 19:54

Plan: My own lactovegetarian
Stats: 130/110/112 Female 63 inches
BF:24.5%
Progress: 111%

I just love your little picture of superman looking through his belly at the scale. That's cute. Where did you find it?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 00:14

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

JustForFun- this is a topic I myself am now looking into. I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you here as I am seeking some answers of my own on this very thing. If you do find any information, I would be grateful if you would share it though!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-28-04, 02:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

A stall soon after induction is normal. I myself went into a 3 week stall after induction and stayed with the diet program. I also started walking on my treadmill 30 min a day.
I just keep trying to remember that the low carb WOE is for life (literally) and the weight loss that comes with it is a bonus.
Do the low carb to keep your BG in check and the rest will take care of itself.
I also figure that everyday I LC is an extra day I get to keep my toes.
Hang in there and be patient, things will start moving again. Are your clothes getting looser? Did you measure yourself yet if not do so, that way you will have something to compare with later.
You maybe losing inches instead of weight. Not all weight loss shows on the scale.
Also try to get in a little exercise (walking or whatever)
because every little bit helps and the more you make it a habit to exercise the easier it gets.

All in all looks to me like your are on course and doing fine. Its a long road with many twist and turns but if you keep going you will get there.
kevin