Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 07:48

Plan:
Stats: 205/205/180
BF:
Progress:
Default New low carber

Hello to all. I'm 56 year old male with the bulging middle. Weigh 205 and would be happy to just get to 180 or 185. Just started a low carb diet yesterday. Been trying to lose for 6 months on low-fat diet and just wasn't working so now I'll try this. Anyone experience carb withdrawal when you started? Any other side effects? Any hints from the experts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Welcome

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I've been low-carbing since May 26/01 and my cravings for carbs disappeared about 3-4 days after I started. I'm now into my 4th week and I don't crave any sweets at all. I've been to numerous birthday parties already (June is a killer month for birthdays in my family) and haven't had a morsel of cake. Just didn't feel like it.

Also, I used to always be plagued with the 3pm "I-need-something-sweet-now" at work and that's disappeared too. So my advise, stick with the decarbing and before you know it you won't want it.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 08:52

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Sylvie. Luckily, I haven't had any cravings yet. Lots of coffee with sweet-n-low seems to help. Are there any good LC recipe books you could recommend?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 09:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Hi Rob, welcome aboard.

Yes, there's withdrawl experienced by some at various strengths, but it usually passes in 48 hours when ketones kick in.

Side effects: Leg cramps for some, a daily vitamin plus clcium and potassium should take care of it.

Looking forward to hearing about your success!

Wa'il
  #5   ^

Stats: 245/245/145
BF:

Click on the recipe section here on the red bar at top of page. Lots of excellent recipes from our own members!
  #6   ^
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Rob,

Welcome to the board! What plan are you following?

Hints? We got plenty hints and advice!

1. Read as much as you can about LC - Protien Power and Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution are good places to start

2. Physical carb cravings/withdrawal will pass. You may have to deal with mental cravings later

3. Some people report leg cramps - They use potassium to combat this or Lite-Salt

4. Some report sleeplessness and constipation. I don't have any advice on the lack of sleep, but it's really important to eat high fiber low-carb vegetables to avoid constipation. It takes a while for your body to adjust to a whole new way of eating

5. Take a good multi-vitamin

6. Drink lots of water - at least 2-3 liters a day

7. Get a good carb counting book. Corrinne T. Netzer's Complete Book of Food Counts is great

8. In addition to weighing yourself, take measurements. You can lose inches without losing weight. Strange but true.

9. Be cautious or avoid low-carb bars and LC substitutes for high-carb food. Eat real food.

10. LC is a Way-of-Life, not a diet. If you "fall off the wagon", don't waste any time feeling guilty. Just jump back on.

11. Don't use high-carb food as a reward. Treat yourself to something that is not food when you want to reward yourself.

12. Check out the Tips section in the red bar at the top of this page and keep posting with questions and on your success!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 09:22

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Just wanted to say hi and welcome aboard Rob!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 13:09

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks Fern. Its all new to me, but I know I have to do something to lose weight and I'm desperate to find all out about low carb foods.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 13:15

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to you all. I am motivated and with encouragement like all of yours, it definitely will help. My family has a history of high cholesterol, heart disease, high blood pressure, and hypertension. I thought I had been eating well, but short of intense starvation, nothing I did helped me lose weight. Hope this works. Fingers are crossed. Thanks again to all of you for the support.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 13:21

Plan:
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the info Karen. I haven't studied too many books on LC diets yet, but have already found a wealth of info right from this sight; recipes, advice, hints, etc.

I do have some questions that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are there any fresh vegetables that I should avoid, like corn on the cob? Is skim milk ok?
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 16:27

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:

hi rob and welcome! you're going to love lowcarbing! it's the best way i know of to lose weight! hope to hear a lot from you!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 19:26

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 265/244/145 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Rob! Welcome!

To answer your question about vegetables and milk, you should probably stay away from that corn! It is a starchy vegetable, as are potatoes, and others. Stick to the greens. Actually, low-carb wise it is probably better to have whole milk, than skim milk. It will help you a lot to become a label reader. Check out how many carbs the products have before eating them.

Jeanette
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 22:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/183/120
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hi Rob

Welcome. I have been on Atkins since 4/23/01. I was a potatoe, pasta, rice eater. I thought this was what I would crave, but no it is sweets. It gets easier but I have never kicked it totally yet. Lot so hints/suggestions from this site. The people are great!!!

One suggestion that has helped, sugar free jello, 1 tsp. in a small cup of hot water. Add heavy cream to taste. This has helped me, also sugar free puddings, and sugar free jello with Cool Whip.

Best to stay away from sugar, I did not do so well for a few days, and the cravings became worse. But like they say, don't beat yourself up about it, just jump back on to the program.

Have a great week.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-01, 23:34

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Talking Hi, Rob, and welcome!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob_55
I do have some questions that I can't seem to find an answer to. Are there any fresh vegetables that I should avoid, like corn on the cob? Is skim milk ok?

Veggies to avoid: corn on (or off) the cob, peas, carrots, beets, potatoes, and winter squash (zucchini is fine). Tomatoes and onion are OK in moderation - maybe 1/2 a tomato or 1/8 of a medium-sized onion - just use a bit for flavour. Green onions are OK. The best veggie choices are anything green and leafy, can't go wrong there!

Skim milk is pretty high in carbs unless you just use a tiny amount; cream is better. But some people find dairy products of all kinds are stallers, so don't overdo the cream or cheese!

Keep us posted on your progress!

Rachel