Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 08:29
Registered Member

Plan: Own Combinations, just trying not to exceed 20g/day..Struggling tho
Stats: 174/160/125
BF:
Progress:
Talking Great to hear from ya gals...dinner eh heh heh??

Debbie..Rach..Fern...you gals crafted a huge smile on me face! Ummmm.. wanna know how i freaked the dinner I attended??..lol
It was a chinese course dinner!!...where they serve one kind of dish at a time where everyone dig in with the chopsticks at the same time...( can yall imagine the situation I was at?) all in was 15 courses (thank gawd wasnt the 20 courses) Starts with the `Cold dish' (this was easy coz i only dig on the sea weed)...then came the battered butter prawns (okay...i took off the batter and shell,,and chew slowly on the smallest size prawn i could find..just one k?) and started a topic where every1 can participate..obviously majority were more focus on who would get the most prawns..Gee..do i haf to tell ya more...it does get harder and harder ha ha..Theres no way ya can sit without eatin sumtim...its so noticable! I will just tell yall the hardest course...was the Chinese Fried Rice, the lotus dumplings..the sweet desserts and.... the wedding cake. The guests sitting at the same table (10 pxs per table) kept askin me why I wasnt eatin.
So as not to be untruthful,,,I TOLD THEM THE TRUTH that I am on a low carb diet.. and explained a little..its just not the rite time to talk about this diet thing..makes me feels bad. I am so glad I managed to excuse meself from sitting at the main table tho -(where the bride/groom/them parents sitting which i was also supposed to be sitted coz bride's mom a very good friend of mine) What's my excuse fa not sitting there?..ya may wanna know..I managed to grab one of the Uncles tellin them he deserves to be sitted there more then I do..so I sat the table next to them. All in all I do haf good time...with my carb intake probably totaling more or less 50g... I couldn’t really analyse what I ate in oz and grams..I had a liitle too much wine….
yum seng !!(that’s cheers in Chinese) ..could focus at Doreen/ Wail vaguely and a little hangover this morn. The ones I dug in had sugar and starch added. ..that I can remember.

I been all over Asia actually,,been in Malaysia bit over 2 yrs..Born Cairo..brought up there few years then Switzerland, then mostly in Indonesia and Australia..now i am in Malaysia.
me hubby is Malaysian..so I aquire the citizenship quite easily when we moved here. I am a mutt ball mostly Portugese(spills of English)...Indonesian Chinese(with l spills of Dutch) and ended up lookin like I derived from a Papago RedIndian tribe.
Malaysia is a muliculture..multi racial country..majority Malays Chinese and Indians..and we the Potugese are minority. Bahasa Malaysia (Malay) is the official lingo..and English the third important langguage..most ppl understand and do speak English next to them mother tongue. I can speak Indonesian, Asian Portugese..and Bahasa Malaysia aside English and also sum basics of Chinese (Cantonese)..and Tamil. I once understood and speak Japanese and Tagalog well..now my strength in those 2 lingos just faded slowly coz i hardly can converse with anyone in those langguages.
Its sun all year round tropical kinda climate..very hot sum months and sum heavy rain now and then. This country has beautiful seaside and Islands at sum spot. I still love Australia tho .

Protein and fresh foods easily obtainable..coz its an agricultural country and like most Asian countries rice is the staple food. White flour be next..coz they never miss them local exoctic `kuehs' they are simply delicious. What I can say ppl here just love rich sweet foods. Them culture so fine that they may get offended if ya dont accept the food served to ya. So unlike the Japanese where ya can slurp and eat noisely to appreciate the food served ...you eat with grace and not make too much sound..lol

Well I better sign off now..this is sure a long thread..
and I got a feeling I post this wrongly as new thread...heh

Last edited by need2burn : Sat, Jun-09-01 at 09:45.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 17:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

good for you need2burn! you did remarkably well in a difficult situation! the meal sounded incredible! good for you resisting!

my, you must have lead an interesting life! you've lived in so many different places! you speak so many different languages too! what a wonderful gift! i'm so glad i'm getting to know you!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 23:00
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

hi Tama,

Oooohhh! dinner sounds wonderful, your description is making my mouth water. You were so good; if it was me, I would have been more than tempted .. ... I understand about not wanting to draw too much attention to the lowcarb way of eating (I refuse to call it a diet) ... but just curious how did the other people react?? Did some seem interested? Maybe you planted some seeds for lowcarbing to grow and be popular in Malaysia! .. Heeheeee, I laughed when you describe how couldn't focus on me or Wa'il.

Malaysia sounds so beautiful ... *sigh* In another lifetime, I travelled a lot ... and big plans to see much of the world by the time I was 40. Well, here I am, since over a decade I have barely left my own region only a few times... not much money, and health problems. Maybe I should start buying lottery tickets

Take care, hope the hangover is better (I'm whispering, so I won't make the headache worse) and hope it goes well getting back to the serious lowcarbing

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-09-01, 23:07

Stats: 162/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 90%
Smile

Sometimes when I hear about the numbers of languages some people speak, and the places they've lived in, I feel embarassed. Canada has two official languages, English and French, and many Anglophones hate the idea of learning French, and vice versa. In many ways, perhaps due to the physical size of the country, we are so provincial! I think a lot of North Americans really believe we are the centre of the world, linguistically, culturally, and politically. That just ain't so, and it's wonderful having people of all nations on this board just to remind us!

Need2burn, congrats on resisting most of the carbs in that dinner! Now THAT took will power!

Turning down others' offers of high-carb foods is always difficult. Fortunately I have most of my family and friends well-trained!

Bye for now,
Rachel
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 00:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Talking Think ama succesfull resistin???..I kinda doubt that..

Thank you fa the congrats anyway...
Know what?..I almost lost another pound that dinner day..i can see the needle at me weighin scale moves a little less. and doh! next morn when i weighed meself I saw the needle showing firmly at the weight i was day b4 that!! I consoled meself by tellin `maybe i cant read the scale properly coz me head pounding' hehe hee.. I refuse to weight meself till now... tryin get control of me carb intake 14-20gm ( well..I know yall will say dont be hard on meslef) but I haf this attitude even b4...`punish when I do sumtim wrong and reward when i succeed'. I am kinda lookin forward to rewarding meself with a sweet sensational lingerie..and a smaller g-string that doesnt haf me current size...LMAO!

Doreen..actual fact I really hate moving from one place to another.. wasnt me choice ..I couldnt stay permanent one place due to career and I just hafta follow me family around. Migrating from one country to another gives me the phobia of packing and unpacking! I dont mind touring around fa pleasure tho J ...I travelled on bizness..that wasnt too much fun either.

Well actually when i talked about low carbing..I kinda draw too much attention...I am actually a chatterbox ( I think yall know that by now ) ....I told them mostly how low carbing actually can improve one's health esp those with diebetic and hypertension other then trimmin down. Lotsa questions was thrown at me ( lucky i read quite a bit) and told them about me experince since i started it. Told them about this forum and all the support I am getting to keep me on the wagon. I was quite woozie and thank gawd we filled up with other agenda that nite.

Rach..ya dont hafta be embarrass…. I actually envy to think how lucky those living on ya side of the planet when I read and hear about them..you think Canada is provincial just becoz ya born and bread there. PPL from this side of the earth’s surface travels there and talk about most wonderful experience and wished to migrate over there. Being a muttball isn’t fun either…coz ya just cant categorize yaself esp when ya a mutt of a kaboodle like me…most ppl wouldn’t understand why we feel that way….there are times when you just wanting to `belong’ to a group. Probably thats why I picked up coupla languages as I progress in age coz I was so desperate to blend in. Oops..my ISP bumped me while am writing this…grrrr (cutting and pasting so I can continue on a notepad..hee hee)

Oh yes…I did told yall earlier that I refuse weighin meself just yet..but I pull me guts and measured me waistline…J I reduced 2 inches … humm...me thighs and hip still same wonder why…Now I am thinking all the weight I lost was just water and me fat not burnin…I need buy those ketone test strips again. I am a plateau phobia..I think I am gonna haf a depression if I hit a plateau with this WOE. Think I go nibble on a slice on cheese…I usually eat when I am depress…bbfn..
Thanks again all fa ya support!!

Anne

p.s..
why are ya gals callin me Tama?…
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 09:19
Forum Founder

BF:
Red face duh ... LOL LOL LOL

It's only me making the mistake with the name .. LOL ..

I had replied to one of your first posts, down in the Tips and Stalls forum, and signed off as usual with my name. Your next reply to me said, "Doreen .... Tama .... thank you from the bottom of my heart" ... I misread that as though you were introducing yourself ... as Tama. LOL.... This is too funny...

My middle name is Anne too. Like "Anne of Green Gables", who was most emphatic and adamant that the name is Anne with an "e"... ... and DON'T forget it. *LOL*

Congratulations on the inches lost ... I think there is unwritten rule somewhere that the place we want to lose fat most is the very last place it will come off. For me, it's the jiggly legs, and the "wings" that flap in the breeze from the backs of my arms ..

Bye for now, and tama, thank YOU for your friendship, from the bottom of my heart ..

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-10-01, 11:59

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:

Resisting the food at the dinner---- you deserve BIG congrats for that!!! And the weight ALWAYS comes off last in the places you want it to. you're right Doreen! I think it is an unwritten rule when trying to lose weight!!!
2 inches is great Anne!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 00:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Smile Gee..That really gives me back me confidence..!!

Doreen..Fern (now now Doreen dont ya start callin me fern..lmao)..I dunno what to do without ya support..I was actually feelin upset yesterday but yall make me day...ya gals actually in a way sayin `"keep it up Anne ya on the rite track!' "and that really means a lot ...i really mean ALOT to me..yall just scooped me up with a flick of the fingers when i was about to loose confidence in meself....thank you ..hugssss...smooches!!

To show yall I haf the confidence back..I actually stand on the weighin scale (i dont even belief meself i did that!) and guess what? I lost nother 1 lb.. not much ..but it went down..all matters..and i loose that lb without allowin meself be hungry.just keepin away from flours...grains and sugars. Whenever my mouth feels like muchin...i chew on sunflower seeds slowly and make sure its not more then a tablespoon flat a day. I even add extra 2 carbs on the foods which i doubt of hidden carbs...that way i wont be underestimatin me carb intake..just that dunno if I am doin the rite thing.

Ladies...i need ya support all the way.!! Thanks again.

Anne
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 12:00

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

anne you're doing really well on this way of eating! you are an inspiration to me! i'm glad you're getting the support you need. you're a real asset to this board!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 21:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/183/120
BF:
Progress: 14%

Anne

We are enjoying you and reading what you have written as much as you are enjoying this site.

You sound like a very interesting person. Wish you were my neighbor, but we are a few miles apart. Computers are a great help with mileage.

Keep up the good work and welcome. I love reading what you write, you sound so cheerful.

Barb
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 23:14

BF:
Talking Hello!

Just popping in to say hi, Anne, congrats on the inches and that pound lost! It's amazing that we can lose weight eating bacon, butter, cheese, cream, and all those goodies, isn't it? Who wants a boring old piece of bread, anyway, when we can have all the yummy stuff that goes on top of it - and get thinner??? And never be hungry? I'm still amazed.

I joined the gym today....first appointment with the trainer tomorrow....we're gonna see some action now!!!

Cheers,
Rachel
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 03:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default I am stickin to this WOE fa sure!!

Greetings to all forum mates..tho i havent been postin but that doesnt mean I am not lurkin *giggles*. Barb...Debbie..ya makin me blush..thank you and dont ferget that every1 here is an inspiration to me too..ya can see how happy i am everytime I am postin sumtim..inspite the weighin scale being nasty to me sumtimes.

I haf been observin my body's reaction to this WOE...and tryin stick 14-25 carbs a day. Drinkin lotsa water too...I dunno if anyone experiencin what i am currently. See,,, I get thirsty easily, so 2-4 litres no problemo...but pee ( well, i couldnt find a better word to sound decent! ) alot too..I havent been this way b4 i start low carbin. I haf no diebetic...no hypertension..

Good news is I am down another 1 lb today..but havent measured anythin yet...I dont wanna get excited about me wt loss coz i haf experience the loss and gain back thingy even on a loyal control on me Low fat LOw Calories diet.

Doreen..when ya mention the silken tofu...are those that they process the tofu with egg. Kinda pensive about 1 pc of silken tofu..in fitday. Any idea about the size of it?

Ok.ciao fa now..my nibble time..today i nibble on shrimps.. bfn!!

p.s

I found another Malaysian on ya members list..and we e-mailin each other...I followed Doreen's advice to get a low carb buddy close by..lol
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-01, 12:25

BF:
Talking Me too!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by need2burn
I dunno if anyone experiencin what i am currently. See,,, I get thirsty easily, so 2-4 litres no problemo...but pee ( well, i couldnt find a better word to sound decent! ) alot too..I havent been this way b4 i start low carbin. I haf no diebetic...no hypertension..

I HATE that! I can't go anywhere that doesn't have a toilet in the immediate vicinity!!!!

Peeing a lot is normal, with lowcarbing, Anne; we don't retain as much water without carbs in the system. And we need to pee lots to get rid of the ketones that aren't turning to FAT.

It IS a nuisance, though!!!!

Rachel
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-01, 19:41
Forum Founder

BF:

Silken Tofu

Silken tofu is also called Japanese tofu ... here in North America, it's sold in little cardboard Tetra paks. Mori Nu is the most common brand around .. here's their website, (just so you can see what it looks like) ... http://www.morinu.com/litetofu.html ... Its texture is very smooth and custard-like, but there's no egg in it, it's just soy ... tofu. It's great to puree and use in sauces or baking or whipped up as a cream ... and it doesn't separate or go watery. Believe it or not, the low FAT silken tofu is lower in carbs than the regular .. 3 oz (85 gm) of the lite has only 0.7 gm carbs ... the regular is 1.6 gm.

So I'm told, the blocks of tofu that one buys floating in a tub of water is known as Chinese tofu ... go figure.

Doreen
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-16-01, 22:27
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Default Haf nother question!!! Silly Q but...errr

Rach..Doreen..thanks fa ya reply..my doubts cleared now.

On Atkins ( well i cant read details.. yet book hasnt arrived) as i read along the tips..we supposedly stay off strictly white flour and sugar.,,other then the high carbies..What if we drink coffee with 2 teaspoon sugar or ate half a pancake ...does it really effect or stalled the ketosis like a period of time even if we stickin to 20 carbs a day?

OHHHhhhh...help help help...never really crave for pasta..b4...suddenly everythin became soooooooooooooo tempting...

o oh..am i freakin?