Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 15:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/263/200 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Can you gain weight while working out?

I did Atkins back in 2005 and lost 80 lbs - without one shred of exercise.

I started LC March 2011 once again, and lost about 10 lbs on induction. I was losing consistently for about 2 weeks after, but in April I started working out ... I mean REALLY working out.

I have a personal trainer, I do maybe 10-30 mins of cardio, followed by resistance and weight training for 45-60 mins 2-3 times a week. My weightloss has stopped, and now I have GAINED 2 lbs.

Does this seem right?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 15:45

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Yes, unfortunately. I have the same problem, but I value being strong and fit so I keep going.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 15:47

Stats: 155/155/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress:

you are gaining muscle weight from the lifting - good weight to gain. if you are doing exercise and low carb it should not be just about the scale and how much weight gained/lost. should be about how your clothes are fitting, are you sucessfully turning fat into muscle, how you feel overall, ect. you also may want to look at changing your workout routine...more effective is doing your weights first and then doing cardio - the primary workout that you are doing now really is more of a weight gain routine...try adding way more cardio and yoga is always a great addition to tighten everything up

just my two cents
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 20:19

Plan: Gary Taubes
Stats: 428/363/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Strenuous exercise is probably not conducive to losing fat. It can cause your metabolism to slow and it definitely makes you hungrier--and hungrier for carbs. It can certainly slow weight loss.

But then you have to ask yourself what is your primary goal. Is it losing body fat? Is it getting toned up and not being out of breath when you take the stairs? Is it reducing stress? Is it to help with insulin resistance (which it does, to a limited degree and only until you eat again)?

If it is ONLY to lose body fat as quickly as possible, maybe then you reconsider exercise. Or maybe you dial it down a notch and try less strenuous exercise for stress relief. Or you keep it up because you value being strong. Obviously that is a personal call that everyone has to make for themselves.

There's a good article on the subject here: http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-27-11, 20:32

BF:

I didnt know I should do weight training first, THEN cardio. I'll try that.

My goal isnt really to build more lean muscle, I'm very toned and proportionate for my height and size already, I just wanna shed the fat off.

So you guys think I should do minimal (less strenuous) weight/resistance training followed by more cardio?

On my way to read the NYmag article now
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 06:15

Stats: 155/155/125 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress:

here you go: http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/tra...hts-right-wrong

another good article for you
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 12:14

BF:

reading now. and hitting the gym tonight with a new routine in mind - less resistance more cardio
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 12:22

BF:

Hmmmmm, so cardio burns fat, weight training burns sugar

Since I'm not eating sugar its all making sense, Im not burning fat so my weight loss is slow or nonexistent.

Weight training (minimal) followed by long cardio, and I'm all set.

Thanks so much for your help!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 14:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I am not an expert.

For over 30 years I believed cardio (at low to moderate intensity) was best for weight loss. Then along came a bunch of internet published "experts" singing the praises of strength training and high intensity cardio over steady-state low to moderate cardio. Taubes challenges many assumptions about both diet and exercise - and not without controversy.

A plateau after the first few weeks seems to be very common based on the many postings on this forum - and that is regardless of exercise.

As we get older, there is an almost universal loss of strength and conditioning - especially if we do not take deliberate efforts to exercise. This loss of strength and conditioning leads to lots of other health and "quality of life" issues later in life.

Personal trainers can be good or not so good at what they do. Often people lack knowledge and motivation - a good personal trainer can help people overcome those weaknesses.

Remember I am not an expert but... my advice is stick to your low-carb approach, write down what you eat (so you don't over dose on calories), keep using a good personal trainer as long as you can afford it, do low intensity steady state cardio (e.g. walking, cycling) at least 1 hour per day every day, officially weigh in once a month and .... if you are not losing any weight after 2 months then start looking for other causes.

Good Luck!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-28-11, 14:26

Plan: General LC
Stats: 198/184.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%

Most trainers I have read say the same thing:
Moderate exercise for longer duration, ie, at least an hour 3-5 times a week burns more fat.
Resistance 2-3 times a week build metabolism.
Low carb is essential.
5 to 6 small meals and 2 liters of water (a gallon?)