Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 09:44

Plan: Low carb/real food
Stats: 210/179/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 52%

Today is day 3 and so far so good. Really missing my heavy cream in my coffee though...may have to try just 1 T. And the fat-free cottage cheese takes some getting used to after all those months of full fat everything.
I'm going to wait until Sat. to weigh in. Taking this thing one week at a time!
Hope you all have a lovely day!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 10:13

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
It took some digging, but I found an old newspaper article about it, from April 1962. Bombs Away on Ugly Fat! . The secret wasn't the diet so much as the little happy pill (dexedrine) that went along with it.

Doctors back in the 1950's and 60's regularly prescribed amphetamines for weight loss. Weeeeeeeee ... !!!!!

And Stillman only alludes to the stimulant drugs in a very roundabout way in his QWL. He'll say "with the help of the QWL diet and some extra assistance..." or something like that. I'm not sure he ever came out and copped to using stimulant meds outright. But yeah that was the "diet du jour" back then.

I like the idea of hanging an outfit in plain sight that you are trying to get into. I have an adorable size 4 sundress (that is now about 12 years old) that I always got a ton of compliments on that I've used as my "goal dress."
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/176.2/168 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi everyone!
I'm old but new if that makes sense?! I registered a long time ago then gave up the dieting. :0(

Anyway, I'm on it now. I've come down from 252 to 168 (on Atkins/Dukan) but bounced back up to 182 so put a stone back on eating pizza, ice cream etc etc. Just went nuts. :0/

I have decided to get back to 168 and past it on Stillmans as I really want to get back to where I was ASAP then continue my journey. I started on the 25th and am 6 lbs down.

I got my own used copy of QWL today from Amazon, complete with musty old book smell and yellowed pages. :0)
Must say I found it an eye opener - The things Marxist mentions and the promotion of crazy fad diets if you fancy a change!

Anyway, glad I remembered this place and there are some others out there giving this QWL a bash! :0)
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 12:06
Real food!

Plan: Lower Carb/IF
Stats: 238/155/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hello, Dita, and welcome!
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jul-30-12, 19:49
Real food!

BF:

Hope everyone had a good day.

I'm comfortably full right now, so I don't think I'll need any bedtime snack. I ate 1165 kcals today, so nice and low, with 180 grams from protein. I will say that I started having broccoli cravings earlier, but I got past it. Satiety over variety. I'm not near ready to think about adding veggies back into my diet. I need to stick with mainly protein and limited fat for now.

The nice thing is that I'm finding that as the days go on, hunger decreases. Usually, it's the other way around for me - the longer I still with a plan, the hungrier I get. So, having the opposite is so pleasant.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 05:22

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Great news Lab! I'm having no hunger either, and in addition to dropping fat levels, have also given up any and all artificial sweetners, not even a drop of stevia in non-fat yogurt, and the yogurt is much smaller amount than Before. Have consistently seen higher blood sugars with AS and yogurt than say, eggs and chicken. And forget those MIMs...flax carbs hung around for a long while.
Ps: I am not diabectic, but took advantage of the free meter offer to test my reactions to various foods and blood ketones. I am in nutritional ketosis, and for the first time ever, am also registering moderate ketones on the urine sticks. I get giddy seeing purple So easily amused with my new toys.

Welcome Dita, wow, 6 pounds already. Having done it before..any tips? At 5'11" 150 seems ambitious...when were you that weight last? I'm 5'9" and would be thrilled with my 160 dream goal. Sorry if I'm nosey, but I'm curious about setting goal weight. I am now at a healthy BMI for what that is worth, but was about 150 in my early 30s when I lived in London in the 80s.

Loved going out to Wiltshire on weekends...how lucky you are to live in such beautiful country, though the rain has been a bit over the top this summer.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jul-31-12 at 05:45.
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 05:49
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I'm happy for you, Lab! Hooray! You got through a rough time too.

I did well on my first day easing back into Stillman. I say "easing into" because I still had cream in my first cup of coffee and my after dinner coffee. Of course I have a couple of drops of EZSweetz in it too. I'm not sure I'm as strong as JEY in giving it up but we'll see how it goes. I had no added fat in any of my food and will work to lower it more. I even drank coffee black and unsweetened at work. Somehow that first and last cup of the day are the hard ones for me.

TAJ is still giving me odd looks when I decline vegetables. He packed my lunch for me putting in what he saw me pack yesterday. He hasn't said anything about the canned chicken with no added mayonnaise. I did flavor it a bit with a no sugar, no fat vinaigrette and he just went with it. Bless his heart, being married to me would drive me nuts. Don't tell him I said that! He'd flaunt his martyrdom.

I dumped the 2 pounds of water weight I gained on my Greek yogurt orgy. So......I'm off to a good start.

Hope you all are hanging in there too.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Tue, Jul-31-12 at 07:21.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 08:24
Real food!

BF:

Two pounds, Blue! That's great. Congrats on the good start.

Janet, glad to see you're having no hunger, as well. Giving up the AS may work out well for you. I dropped them when I started low carb 20 months ago, and have never picked them up again. I see no good reason at this point. I never really liked the taste of them anyway, so I don't feel I'm missing anything. I'm the same with with you on flax. It's no friend to me, either, so it's something else I do not eat.

As far as goal weights, I think that at similar heights, we can all have such different builds. Janet, your dream goal of 160 at 5'9"? Well, I'm 5'8", and even adjusting 5 pounds for the inch would mean 155 for me. At 155, I still look like a pudgy cow. Seriously, I do. I was 5'9" in college, and I got up to 155 at one point. Oh.my.goodness. I was FAT! No, really, I was. I'm not simply saying I "thought" I was fat. No one else didn't think I was fat, either. Believe me. A lot of honest folks around me. I was fat at 5'9" and 155 lbs. That is why my current goal is 140, but even at that, I know there's still some pudge. Ultimately, if I can get to 140, I'm thinking of adjusting the goal weight to 130. I've been around 120, and that was a bit too thin. So, I'll take 130. I'll take the 140, but I'm really starting to think I'd rather have the 130. Being on Stillman is giving me hope that I can actually achieve these goals.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 08:55
It's Only Food!

BF:

I'm 5'11" and was shooting for 175. At one time in my younger years I weighed 143-155. I was skinny at 143, and felt good at 155. But I'm 40 years older than that now. 165 seemed like a good place to be but after agonizing on NANY for such a long time I figured it was a pipedream and settled on 175. I have no clue how much I should weigh. And that is the official word from Blue.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 10:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Oh, I know all about different body builds since I have the broad shoulders and heavy bone structure of a German peasant, and my husband has the narrow shoulders and thin bones of the French military. Truly not fair and I am continually miffed he weighs less than me

Had to dig out of the recipe box a way to make boneless, skinless chicken breasts..had already forgotten how to make them yummy.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 10:43
Real food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Oh, I know all about different body builds since I have the broad shoulders and heavy bone structure of a German peasant, and my husband has the narrow shoulders and thin bones of the French military. Truly not fair and I am continually miffed he weighs less than me

Janet, try to think of it as being capable of weighing more than a lanky-built person, while looking slimmer! I always get annoyed because I have the lanky build (similar to your husband,) so I feel that I simply can't get away with weighing a bit more. Of course, it's all a head game. High percentage of body fat is just that, no matter the build. And, if I had a larger structure, I suppose my starting weight would have been much higher, because I would have likely been just as overweight.

Yeah...those skinless chicken breasts. I just make sure to cook them in such a way as to keep as much moisture as possible - crock pot or covered pan with a bit of water on the bottom sure helps. I also keep the breasts close together while cooking. I don't really know if this helps, but they haven't been dry, so I'm glad for that.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 10:58
It's Only Food!

BF:

If y'all find a "tasty" way to make them, I'm all ears. I've simmered them in chicken broth and herbs. Sometimes I've thrown on sriracha sauce to spice it up but that's one of the dreaded nightshades. After a while it's just food and it helps kill the appetite.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 11:03

Plan: M-F vlc, looser LC wkends
Stats: 353.6/260.8/165 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 49%

Wow, so many tall ladies on this thread now! I too, am between 5'10 and 5'11... and I still look like I could stand to lose a few at anything over 150. At 160, I wouldn't dare wear a short skirt for example, anything above the knee for instance, as my legs are FAT.

I only dropped one pound since yesterday, and I *should* have about 4 more pounds of sheer water weight to still drop,... if they haven't turned to fat already! So I started the day off right today... turkey burgers. And yes I had 2T of salsa (total) on them,.... and I am posting in this thread today, anyway.

I plan to make the rest of the day completely plain, from now on.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 11:18
Real food!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueEyes2
If y'all find a "tasty" way to make them, I'm all ears. I've simmered them in chicken broth and herbs. Sometimes I've thrown on sriracha sauce to spice it up but that's one of the dreaded nightshades. After a while it's just food and it helps kill the appetite.

Yeah...I wouldn't worry too much about nightshades. They are a YMMV group of foods. Even for people with auto-immune disorders, they are considered something to cut back/eliminate if you happen to be highly sensitive. Some with AI disorders can tolerate some nightshades without much issue, others not so much. If you don't have an AI disorder, I think you should be fine. And, satiety is a big deal at this point.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-31-12, 11:22
Real food!

BF:

Hello, Honeypie. I don't think that a little bit of salsa throws you out of the Stillman camp. You're working on keeping things mostly plain, using protein as your main macro for satiety, keeping super low carb and keeping the fat down enough to eat at a losing level of kcals. That's really the idea, I think. And, you lost a pound overnight! That's great. Were you eating low carb before starting Stillman this time? I ask because, if so, you may not get the big water whoosh. I didn't, and I know it's because I was already eating low carb, so didn't have a ton of glycogen/water to dump when I started Stillman.