Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Is Keto a Man Diet?
Yes 4 16.00%
No 21 84.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-19, 19:49

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%
Default Is keto a "Man Diet"?

Note: this is just light hearted fun - don't take it too seriously.

A little generalization goes a long way

My DW who is also keto stated this rather obvious but generalized fact years ago.

At a buffet the females gravitate to the salads and fruit while the males go for the meat and starch.

Of course we low carb folks aren't allowed much of either the fruit or the starch so that leaves salad and meat.

Since then I've noticed this is more often than not the way of the world.

I wonder if we have been conditioned by the media?

Or if it is a female gatherer and male hunter remnant in our DNA?

Or are both above questions as stupid as they sound?

And is keto a "Man Diet"?

OK, your turn to have a little fun with this.

Bob
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-19, 20:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I think some of it is conditioning Salads are "healthy" and "low calorie". But on the other hand, at least in my circle, the women are more likely to have a sweet tooth than the men are.

Me personally, I always liked it all including the veg! Hence being overweight.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-19, 20:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like salads, but the reason I end up eating them at restaurants & potlucks is because so often the meats are adulterated with high carb goodies, like BBQ sauce. There's a darling lady who always brings plain chicken to our church potlucks because she knows how many of us can't eat the sugary foods & the wheat products in the casseroles.

When they're offered, I also head for the deviled eggs. Altho at our last potluck, 2 of us brought deviled eggs - and there still weren't many left over.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-09-19, 22:24

Plan: LC/GF
Stats: 208/174/168 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

No. Hell no.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 00:57

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Keto is a diet for this man, but it's also worked pretty well for a few ladies I know, too.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 08:23

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think the buffet thing is probably a combination of culture and the fact that men just need more food to survive, in general, than women.

Same with keto--I don't think there's something inherent in our makeup that makes men more suited to keto, and women more suited to fruits and veggies.

If you look at say the Kitivans, the animal portion of the diet may be important, but the calorie content is so low, male-female differences in meat consumption are going to be smallish. In a lot of hunter-gatherer groups, even when the men spent most of their time hunting, most of their daily calorie intake will have come from gathered foods.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 09:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Agree with teaser. Keto doesn't exclude anyone, and there are different ways one can approach keto based on individual needs as longas you honor the carb limitation to successfully transition to fat as primary fuel. Sorry, I don't find it productive to ascribe this WOE to one gender or the other. Many have found success, but you have to work out what works best for you.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 09:09

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I said 'yes', and this is why. Men often have more muscle and therefore need more protein to sustain their level of fitness. Men also often have a bigger appetite, and therefore a diet with reduced food intake is much more difficult. I suspect that men are more often big meat fans than women. The Keto diet, or variations thereof, provides lots of protein and the ability to eat until satisfied...perfect for an active male.

This is not to say that Keto is not great for women also, as so many on this site prove daily. But if I run across a guy who needs to and wants to lose weight, I would recommend Keto over anything else.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 09:24

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good one, Bob. Made me do a bit of thinking.

Im betting the hunter-gather groups around the world ,now and 10,000 years ago , all pretty much eat the same with in the group, male or female. Seems like modern food choices are contrived, and driven by social pressures like ads, opinions, and such.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 10:05

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Realize you're having a bit of fun with this one, and we need that every day. I vote for adding a selection for "Both." And that's my final answer . . .
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 10:34

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Hmm. Well, I haven't voted because I can't make up my mind. My first reaction is YES! Keto is more for men. But in my own marriage, I'm much more of a meat eater than my husband. He's the one who feels he needs a side of veggies or some salad to feel healthy. Our bio kids are like me, but my daughter forces herself to eat veggies. Meanwhile, our 14 year old adopted son loves salads and actually orders them in restaurants. I do think there's a genetic component to food choices and preferences, but I'm not sure it's sex related.

Having said that, my husband can have an occasional sweet thing and not be affected, happily going right back on plan. If I were to have a taste for sweets, I'd be three giant Cadbury's in before I even knew what happened. I'm more of an addict than my husband. Whether that's estrogen related or some other thing, I can't say. Interestingly, I'll bet before going on low carb, I went weeks, even months without sweets, but I darn near lived on bread, chips, and pretzels. I never had chocolate or sweet cravings when I was eating lots of carbs. Mostly just salt.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 10:58

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
There's a darling lady who always brings plain chicken to our church potlucks because she knows how many of us can't eat the sugary foods & the wheat products in the casseroles.
One of my go-tos for potlucks it a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. They're usually cheap (they're loss-leaders almost everywhere), already cooked, and you can just grab it on the way with zero preparation.

I think part of the women heading for the salads is cultural conditioning. It's not lady-like to eat a lot, eat like a construction worker, eating heavier food or lots of meat is "piggy", etc. How many of us still remember being advised not to eat something heavy or to finish our plates if we were on a date? Also, most women, even women who are basically thin, think that they are fat, so they shouldn't be seen eating "fattening" foods in public--they are worried people will look at their plate and think "no wonder she's fat."

I think "keto" as a brand has some associations with body-building still, so people may think of it as a "man's diet." But I'm not sure that "low carb" as a brand (even though it's the same way of eating) has an association like that--it's just Atkins or Protein Power or even Banting.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-19, 19:16

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

When I started on Atkins over 3 years ago, I spent a lot of time on this board (so helpful!). Eventually, I strayed to various low carb, keto and fasting Facebook groups. A large percentage of the membership in those groups is women, so I say no. Of course, it could just be that Facebook has a larger female membership altogether.

By the way, it’s nice to be back here and see familiar members still posting!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-19, 11:26

Plan: Gluten-free/Low Carb/IF
Stats: 250/220/175 Female 5'8"
BF:?
Progress: 40%

I don’t know why people assume that Women did all the gathering and Men did all the hunting. I’m sure little girls and boys were encouraged to do what they liked and did best.
We have too much social baggage to even be objective. Women may have evolved to eat differently because of pregnancy but ancient cultures would not have varied diets and I’ll wager they all ate the same way.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-19, 11:38
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

LOLOLOLOL
Last time I looked, I didn’t see any man parts..