Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 17:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
The intention is to give a group of people all the information and support they need

I'm wondering what that means, support...

Before you start do they make disclaimers, like, "A low carb diet is not proven to prevent heart disease, sudden death, cancer, blah, blah"?

Do they communicate with you regularly and ask questions like, "Are you having chest pain yet???" or other leading questions?

Or are they really supportive?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 23:16

Stats: 160/103/115 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 127%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjf9
No one is forcing us to stay under certain carb levels, although it is encouraged. The study I am in is looking at real world conditions - not what loss could be achieved if everyone were perfect. The intention is to give a group of people all the information and support they need to lose weight (on either method) and see if one method is better than the other in the long term.
That is good to hear, actually. It sounds like they are going after both important aspects: 1) does it work if people stick with it and 2) can people stick with it? We all know that low-fat, reduced-calorie works, but I think there is ample evidence that most people cannot keep to such an unsatisfying diet in the long-run. Low carb, on the other hand, for those who do move on past induction, is a very satisfying diet. One of my other flash points - the media who say "Well, Atkins is fine as long as you're on it - as soon as you stop, you regain all of the lost weight." Yes. And your point would be what?
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-07, 08:37

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidC
One of my other flash points - the media who say "Well, Atkins is fine as long as you're on it - as soon as you stop, you regain all of the lost weight." Yes. And your point would be what?
Good question, since they TOTALLY miss the point. That is, there is a diet - that which you eat for sustenance - and there is a Diet - that which you eat to loose weight. (If you will allow me to create a way of distinguishing between the two by capitalizing the former.) The media also is only focused on weight, but many of "US" are also as much interested in the health benefits as the weight control.

To be successful, you MUST adopt the "new" diet as a permanent way of eating, not just a short term thing you do and then go back to the diet that got you unhealthy and over weight.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 03:35

Stats: 255/230/190 Male 71 IN
BF:
Progress:
Default panic attacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiftyfiver
Hi , I've been on the atkins diet now for about nine years .Occasionly I have come off it but found I felt better staying on it.Iwent on it to loose weight and stop the panic attacks the were occuring . I would rush off to see a doctor and he could not find anything wrong. This happened several times.Once I went on Atkins these stopped.

I was suprised to see someone with a similar issue, and was interested in what you consider a "panic attack".
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 15:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 155/140/140 Male 68
BF:18%
Progress:

Quote:
"There are many principles in the Atkins diet that go against what we know," says Dr. Robert Eckel of the University of Colorado, senior author of the American Heart Association's policy on high-protein diets. "It keeps people away from staples of the diet that we know are associated with less heart disease."
These kinds of statements always bother me. They are disingenuous at best. What Dr. Eckel "knows" is not that those foods "are associated" (mealy-mouthed words) with less heart disease but with less risk of heart disease. The problem is that Eckel defines risk as total cholesterol. Since total cholesterol is a faulty indicator of risk, Dr, Eckel actually knows nothing at all. But health reporters blithely report statements like this from supposed experts without ever understanding or challenging basic assumptions.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-07, 16:41

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Dr Eckel (and others of his ilk) doesn't "know" as much as he thinks he "knows" as long as he has such a narrow, teeny, tiny mind and complete tunnel vision and pre-conceived bias....

Pioneers in any field of inquiry are the ones who have the most open and inquiring minds who look for the possibilities without bias...i don't believe these people can fit that description and so therefore must be relegated to the ranks of boring propoganda spreaders.... JMHO
  #37   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-07, 00:52

Plan: Atkins based
Stats: 156/156/143 Male 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ahh, but the carrot cake Australian experiments will still get all the press!!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 15:08

Stats: 189/189/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:

I think they (the establishment) know the Atkins diet works, but they consider it "unhealthy". Also a rumour going around that Dr.Atkins died of a heart attack due to his diet..which is untrue, but you know how rumours work..next thing you know people are believing it. I personally know it works..did it over 28 years ago, and going to do it again.because I do not want to be hungry and dieting.
This whole article smacks of "what came first..the chicken or the egg?" Obesity- high cholestrol - slimming down - lower cholesterol. More amazing is people are dying of heart attacks with "normal" cholesterol levels and in perfect health..what about that? Maybe our high stress society has something to do with it??
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-08, 15:13
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

5 year old thread btw.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 08:40

Plan: The Real Human Diet
Stats: 225/165/180 Male 5'8"
BF:?/?/8.6%
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junelouise
I think they (the establishment) know the Atkins diet works, but they consider it "unhealthy". Also a rumour going around that Dr.Atkins died of a heart attack due to his diet..which is untrue, but you know how rumours work..next thing you know people are believing it. I personally know it works..did it over 28 years ago, and going to do it again.because I do not want to be hungry and dieting.
This whole article smacks of "what came first..the chicken or the egg?" Obesity- high cholestrol - slimming down - lower cholesterol. More amazing is people are dying of heart attacks with "normal" cholesterol levels and in perfect health..what about that? Maybe our high stress society has something to do with it??

I don't have the exact numbers, but yes, more than half the people that have heart attacks have "normal" cholesterol levels.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 08:57
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

What ever happened to all those new "definitive" studies what were supposed to have been done in the last five years or so?
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 09:12

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
The study, directed by Penelope Greene of the Harvard School of Public Health and presented at a meeting here this week of the American Association for the Study of Obesity, found that people eating an extra 300 calories a day on a very low-carb regimen lost just as much during a 12-week study as those on a standard lowfat diet.

Ok, is it just me, or does this reek of a medical study showing the 300 calorie metabolic advantage that Eades and Colpo were fighting about?

Maybe we should turn this over to him and all collect the 20K
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 09:31
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyway...
Ok, is it just me, or does this reek of a medical study showing the 300 calorie metabolic advantage that Eades and Colpo were fighting about?

Maybe we should turn this over to him and all collect the 20K

Colpo argues that one doesn't count since subjects were living out in the real world, not a metabolic ward
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 09:43

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginaW
Colpo argues that one doesn't count since subjects were living out in the real world, not a metabolic ward

Gosh he's so darn picky!
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Jun-07-08, 12:33

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm so glad to hear about Foster. The weight loss center at Penn is very influential and is responsible for alot of research (I am in a study now there). The people they treat are also getting fatter and fatter following their recommendations - this would be a very important move.

Janine