Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 147/142.5/115
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Need help w/ some symptoms . . .

Years ago, when I tried Protein Power for the first time, but had much less to lose, I didn't count on how powerful it was. I didn't take the supplements, exercised hard from the beginning, and didn't drink enough water. I ended up in the dr.'s office with the worst Urinary Tract Infection he had ever seen. He obviously told me to quit the diet, but I could never forget how good I had felt otherwise. This time, I have been so careful. I have been drinking tons of water, and taking all the recommended supplements - adding cranberry extract, and plenty of potassium. I am in the middle of week three, and have lost 5 pounds. From the beginning I have felt fatigue in my muscles, though I haven't started swimmimg again yet. I am sore at the top of the stairs! Then yesterday I felt a little pain in my kidney area and was very nervous about it. I really really don't want to go through another infection and hear from a doctor that I shouldn't do this. I love the way I feel and don't want to quit now. I need rapid suggestions! I have done everything by the book.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 14:42

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default ???

Sorry I can't help you. Your problems seem BACKWARDS to what I experience.

I've had UTI all my life. Probably have had 20 or so by now. It's only when I'm low carbing that they do NOT happen.

Hope someone out there can help you!
-- Loretta
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-03, 22:38

Stats: 163/157/145
BF:
Progress: 33%
Talking New physician?

Just an idea but can you find a physician in your area who is willing to help you achieve what you are trying to do with the PP diet? I wish we had someone here. I work at a hospital but don't know of anyone who would be willing to order the tests for hypokalemic symptoms etc. I have been drinking tons of green tea as recommended by our urologist. I am about three weeks into the PP and also have similar symptoms of fatigue and muscle cramping but no urinary tract symptoms. Wish I could be of more help. I have upped my potassium supplement to three a day and felt better but don't want to get to much either. With a lab test like the book suggests we would both know whats going on. Can you work some cranberry joice into your carbs for the day? Talk to your doctor or find another one preferacle a holistic one.
My two cents for whatever it's worth!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-03, 10:06
Registered Member

Stats: 147/142.5/115
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default In response to equestrian . . .

Equestrian, thanks for your reply. I am actually doing better. I have been taking cranberry extract supplements this whole time, but figured out that over last weekend I dropped my water intake. After I got that feeling I might be getting a UTI, I started guzzling like a maniac, and I think I flushed it out. I have to keep up with lots and lots of water! I can't do this if I don't!

I am also having muscle cramps - and only at the top of the stairs! (Very unusual for me - I'm an active girl.) I am taking my potassium, though. I wonder if I should increase even more?
I wonder if this goes away?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 04:59

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

Add magnesium and whenever you work out, follow with as much water as you can possibly drink in a two hour period. That will help flush out accumulated toxins in the muscles quickly enough that you may not get sore the next day.