Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-23-02, 21:37

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Abdominals and sore neck

I've been tring to do abdominals along with other weight resistance exercises, but I've noticed that everytime I try to do them, I have a sore neck for days after!

Using the Body For Life book, I've tried the crunches and the bent-knee leg raises (both holding up my head and keeping it flat) and both cause problems.

I have arthritis in my neck (with bone spurs), pelvis and back, and have problems off an on, but whenever I try the abdominals my neck hurts way to much!

I've been the PT route, and it's been no help. And even if it did work, I can't afford it! I've been told I can do crunches as long as I don't put my hands behind my neck....I usually put my hands on my chest or on iether side of my head. Still get unbearable pain!

Any suggestions? I have an adjustable weight bench ( a cheap one). I also have about 70-80# of weights. I really wish I could afford the gym....I know there are machines you can do for abdominals!

Thanks

Cindy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 06:40

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

Have you tried one of the ab rocker typ eof contraptions?

they have a rest for your head so i dont know if it would take some of the pressure off your neck or not.

They can be found fairly cheap, my wife bought hers for $4 at a yard sale.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 10:04

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/156/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Cindy,
I know what you mean. The other day I did 125 crunches and the muscles in my neck were sore for 2 days! I didn't imagine my neck would get a workout as well.

I have an Ab Doer & really like it. (the seat with the arm bar that supports your back) It seems to work well on the obliques.

Sorry you are having so much pain!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 13:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 104/108/104 Female 5' 3"
BF:22%/17%/14%
Progress: 200%

I have a bad neck from an injury and I've never understood it when I've heard that I shouldn't put my hands behind my head or neck for crunches. Not using my hands hurts my neck way worse than using my hands to support my neck/head ever could. I second the suggestion to get an ab rocker or similar. I've seen a photo in a magazine where a large towel is used in a fashion similar to the ab rocker. You might also want to try doing Planks: Get face down and up on your toes and elbows, similar to a push up position except that you are on your elbows. Keep your body as straight as possible, contracting the abs tightly. Don't let your body droop in the middle or you will start to feel pain in your back. Hold for as long as possible, rest, and repeat. You might only be able to hold for 5 seconds or so at first and do three sets. Increase this over time. I also have gotten good results with less neck pain than usual when I've done a video called The Method Precision Toning (a Pilates workout). There are several Pilates videos available. The neck does get stressed with Pilates, just not as much as in traditional ab work because there are several "neck breaks", at least in the video I have. Your neck sounds worse than mine so Pilates may not work for you as it does for me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-25-02, 19:53

Default Thanks!

Thanks to all who answered!

I do have one of those ab rocker thingies.....somewhere! I guess I'll see if I can find it and try it again.

Dawn! 125 crunches?!?!?!? Wow! If I do 5 I'm hurting for days!!!!

Cindy
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-02, 17:49

Plan: PP TKD CKD
Stats: 265/220/175
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey Cindy,
You've heard the expression 'no pain, no gain'? Well it's not true. Never do an exercise that causes pain in any part of your body. Absolutely, definitely cease doing those crunches.
Try this - lay flat on the floor with your hands under your hips and do some leg raises, both legs together, just a few inches off the ground and hold for 5 seconds each. Keep your head flat on the floor, looking straight up. Don't bend your neck to look at your feet. The abs will burn, baby burn, I promise. When you get stronger, take your arms out from under your butt and put them straight out, like a cross.
The ab roller might help, but watch out for getting momentum from rocking forward. It will nullify most of the work your abs are supposed to be doing.
Good luck.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 09:32

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Cindy.......

My favourite Ab exercise that does NOT put any stress whatsoever on the neck is here:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...atedCrunch.html

It can also be done standing. Would be a great one to try if you have access to a gym.

Marlaine
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 16:57

Default Thanks

Doug....I've tried that exercise too. My neck is VERY sensitive. I have really bad abdominals, so I'd really like to find something I can do at home....but I refuse to do anything that stresses my neck! the pain just isn't worth it! There have been times I have been so sore I can barely hold my head up!

Marlaine...If only I could afford the gym! Years ago, right before I got pregnant with my son (he's almost 18!) I did a back program that ended with nautilus work-outs. I did great! I was able to do 120# on the abdominal machine...similar to what you showed, but being nautilus a bit different. I know I could have gone higher, but being pregnant I decided to hold there. It was a riot watching the guys....they'd see me...6, 7, 8, 9 months pregnant....and I'd use higher weights than a lot of them! Upper body I didn't do as well...but lower body, I kicked ass! Unfortunately, money is very tight right now...and there is no way I can afford a gym membership!

My goal is to get back to a gym...there certainly are plenty around to choose from! But for now I have to work with what I have!

Thanks for your help...it really is appreciated!

Cindy
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 18:49

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Cindy.....

You can do a version of that exercise at home using one of those exercise rubber bands with handles. You just loop it on a door handle and sit on the floor to do the crunches. I think I paid $12 Canadian for one of those rubber bands.

Marlaine
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 19:25

Default Marlaine!

Thanks! I never even thought about those! What a great idea! I was trying to figure out if we could hook up some kind of pulley system...but this is so much better!

Thanks again!

Cindy