Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#391   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 05:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 332/312/189 Male 72.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kane
Seeing the note about Prawn Sandwiches reminded me about last tea time meal, I had an Avocado, which Im not too sure about the carb count, but I eat very little Carbs so feel I can indulge myself from time to time, anyway a few frozen prawns and a dollop of Mayo and I was just about to tuck in when I thought I would splash just a little "Sweet Chillie Sauce" onto the concoction, anyway the result was very good indeed and is highly recomended if you want somthing tasty with a bit of "omph" My initial concern about the carb count of the Sweet Chilli Sauce, which is probably thousands of carbs p/100g, waned when I thought about the actual amount I was useing, and I guess it was just a few carbs worth and in my opinion, highly worth it!!
Steve.

My first post to this forum !

I use a small amount of Chinese Chilli Oil to add some oomph - this has much much less sugar than the sweet chilli sauce and is much hotter - with a nice taste.

As a prawn cocktail sauce, I whip some double cream and add pepper, Garlic powder and Gia sundried tomato puree.

Gia Sundried tomato puree is well worth buying - it is stocked by the likes of Sainsbury and Tesco and whilst it is expensive at around 99p per tube it has less than 0.5 gms carb per 100gms !

It is also great in my beanless chilli con carne made with mushrooms, aubergine, celery (to replace onion) and courgette plus loads of beef and chilli!
Sponsored Links
  #392   ^
Old Thu, Nov-23-06, 13:39

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 154/155/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: -7%

Good ideas Mike - thanks for sharing
  #393   ^
Old Fri, Dec-29-06, 08:13

Stats: 262/256.2/182 Male 185.8cm
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Gia Sundried tomato puree is well worth buying - it is stocked by the likes of Sainsbury and Tesco and whilst it is expensive at around 99p per tube it has less than 0.5 gms carb per 100gms !

If you go to Asda you will get it at around 85p also they do Tomato & Garlic at around the same level of carbs; that one is around 60p
  #394   ^
Old Sat, Dec-30-06, 04:18

Stats: 332/312/189 Male 72.5 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCScotsman
If you go to Asda you will get it at around 85p also they do Tomato & Garlic at around the same level of carbs; that one is around 60p

Thanks, I noticed that the price had dropped at Sainsbury and Tesco too when I went there the other day. I have not seen the Tomato and Garlic one - sounds good especially at around 60p !
  #395   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 01:25
Registered Member

Plan: none in particular
Stats: 206/173/119 Female 5ft8
BF:
Progress: 38%

sainsburys do loadsa low carb sausages but because theyre so low in carb so mainly just meat they taste (in my oppinion) not as good as high carb ones.

the texture is a bit weird
  #396   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-07, 12:11

Stats: 262/256.2/182 Male 185.8cm
BF:
Progress: 7%

Superb Stuff

I shall pop up in the morning for a look
  #397   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-08, 09:29

Plan: SB then Atkins
Stats: 242/226/154 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi all

Just a note to say that Somerfield have Birds Eye 100% beef quarterpounder burgers on bogof until 25th March. £2.70 per parket and 0.2 carbs per burger. Delish with Cleo's oopsie rolls!
  #398   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-08, 13:50

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks for the headsup
  #399   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 07:29

Plan: Bulletproof / Paleo
Stats: 255/205/160 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Asda has little pot of luxury prawn cocktail on it's fresh packaged fish section.

They are around (can't remember exctly) 1.3g carb per 100g and come in 200g pots, they are delish!

I bought some mixed olives and peppers from Aldi last night, Deli Continental label, they are only 0.2g per 100, really big, juicy tasting but do have stones in them.
  #400   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 09:06

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

One of my favourite things: Tesco tubes of anchovy puree. Cheap, low carb and a really good way to add an Umph to sauces or soup. It tastes savoury, not fishy.
  #401   ^
Old Thu, May-08-08, 12:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 281/250/120 Female 62inches
BF:51.4/45.7/21
Progress: 19%

Low carb Heinz ketchup is available fromhttp://www.lowcarbmegastore.com/heinz_one_carb_ketchup_details.html

Pinks
  #402   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 05:08
Registered Member

Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default xantham gum

hi, i found xantham gum in tesco by the gluten free aisle. its maker is bodyline . it costs 2.45 a jar.
  #403   ^
Old Mon, Jun-02-08, 12:24

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/180/175 Female 179cm
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline43
hi, i found xantham gum in tesco by the gluten free aisle. its maker is bodyline . it costs 2.45 a jar.

Amazingly useful stuff. Beat some cottage cheese until the curbs are smooth, add some ice, a little water and the flavouring of your choice (I generally go for cocoa to make chocolate), then blend and finally add a teaspoon of zantham gum, blend again and you have low carb ice-cream.
  #404   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-08, 15:08
Registered Member

Stats: 182/168/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

wow sounds delicious Helen thank you i will have to try that. i made my first batch of oopsie rolls today and they turned out great. my daughter and i had them with burgers and salad for dinner, she loved them too.
  #405   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-08, 02:41

Plan: Bulletproof / Paleo
Stats: 255/205/160 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I found a great stand by meal in Tesco's today, it's own make chicken in white sauce. 0.4g carb per 100g or 1.6g for a whole tin!
I nuked some frozen broccoli and emptied the tin into it (after draining the broccoli) and added a chopped mushroom and a chopped up pepperami. Stirred the whole thing and nuked for about 4 minutes before chucking in a few chunks of cheese and nuking again until it melted.
It was yummy and VERY filling