Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-02, 15:15
Registered Member

Plan: Little of everything
Stats: 293/247/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Crystal Light Slurpees

I found some at a 7-Eleven in Salt Lake City Utah.

It was pretty good, a lemon raspberry flavor. Seems to get chunky quicker than the sugar slurpees do.

The look on my wifes face when I came waltzing out of the store with a huge red slurpee. She thought I'd lost it for sure
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/334.5/170
BF:
Progress: 9%
Cool

Aren't those slurpees just the BEST?!?!?! I treat myself about once a month and it is just soooooo wonderful to have such a great treat!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 14:21

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Soooo Lucky

You guys in the States are so lucky. There is nothing diet, when it comes to drinks, here. Unless you go into a supermarket, even then the selection is limited.

Here, you walk into a 7-11... if you want a diet drink you have the choice of diet coke (thank goodness some gas stations and such have the vanilla one now), diet pepsi.... and there is one flavour of diet snapple...

And slurpees! There are NO options for slurpees.... Oh I would die for a slurpee... and Crysal Light slurpees no less!!!!!

All I can say is ..... No Fair!!!

Linnea
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-02, 16:40

Plan: Low Carb/Anti-Candida
Stats: 203.5/161.0/135 Female 5ft3"
BF:??
Progress: 62%

Hey! Just bought one of those here in VA -red raspberry- for my hubby, as I've been trying to "convert" him to this WOE, and he actually went for it! And he's QUITE picky too! It's nice to know you can still have a few "old" treats w/out the guilt!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-03, 11:39

Plan: LowCarb since 2/1/08
Stats: 312/312/175 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Yum

The red-raspberry was yummy! I've been waiting for a summer treat for us lo-carbers! Now they just need slurpees with diet Pepsi. Mmmmmmmm

If you haven't stopped by 7-eleven to get one, I urge you to soon!!!

Last edited by 2OnAtkins : Sat, Mar-22-03 at 13:57.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-03, 19:33

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

Low carb Slurpees? Wonders never cease. I didn't think I could have a Slurpee again. I was craving one bad the other day because I was working outside and it was so hot. In the past I would always treat myself to a Slurpee after working in the yard all day, but I thought those days were gone. Glad to see we are getting more and more options for the occasional treat.

One question though, does anyone know if these use aspartame or splenda as the sweetener?

I know the bottled Crystal Light is using splenda, but the powder was still using aspartame last time I looked.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Don't places like 7-11 buy a mix? They'd have to buy it from somewhere and so I'd guess either 7-11 Corporate or Crystal Light would have that info.

Or maybe PM any of the folks on the post who actually got their hands on one and ask them if they asked at the 7-11...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-28-03, 17:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 109/106/92 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 18%

ooh....I love Crystal Light! I'll definitely be on the lookout once I'm out of Induction. Mmmmmm!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 22:14

BF:
Default Lime Slurpee

I just went to a different 7-eleven location and they had a lime crystal lite slurpee. It was even better than the red one. yummmy!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 22:49

BF:
Angry WOW Look at the number of carbs in those slurpees!

News release from 7-eleven
Slurpee® Goes Sugar-Free At 7-Eleven®

New Crystal Light® Raspberry Ice Slurpee Offers Sugar-free, Reduced Calorie Alternative

Dallas, July 9, 2002 - Leading convenience retailer 7-Eleven, Inc. and Kraft Foods’ Crystal Light®, the top-selling non-carbonated low-calorie beverage, have partnered to introduce sugar-free Crystal Light Raspberry Ice Slurpee®.
The new raspberry-flavored Slurpee offers a beverage alternative to consumers concerned about sugar intake and calorie consumption. At 50 calories and 11 grams of carbohydrates per 12-fluid ounce serving , the sugar-free flavor is ideal for consumers who are managing carbohydrates everyday, including sugars, and would like to enjoy a Slurpee.

According to John Ryckevic, product director for proprietary beverages at 7-Eleven, Inc., the company receives frequent calls from customers asking about the sugar levels in Slurpee. “We have an audience that has expressed a need for a sugar-free Slurpee – from adults who grew up drinking Slurpees but may be watching their calories now, to a 5-year-old girl who wants her diabetic brother to be able to enjoy a Slurpee with her.”

Last October, 7-Eleven and Kraft Food Service introduced a Crystal Light Lemonade flavor in Detroit and Kansas City to test the first ever sugar-free Slurpee. The test resulted in the development of the new Crystal Light Raspberry Ice Slurpee flavor to launch nationally this summer.

As the top-selling non-carbonated, low-calorie soft drink in retail and food service outlets, the Crystal Light brand also ranks number-three of all diet beverages sold in the United States, with an overwhelming 93 percent awareness level among consumers.

“While women are the number-one consumers of Crystal Light,” said Mike Murnane, director of Customer Business, Kraft Food Service, “we believe Crystal Light Raspberry Ice in a Slurpee version will appeal to a much wider audience.”

“Working women come into our stores in the morning for coffee, and moms come in with their kids after school for Slurpees and snacks,” Ryckevic said. “Now, with Crystal Light, we’ll have a sugar-free, reduced-calorie option for our customers – female and male, young and not-as-young – who are watching calories, carbohydrates or sugar.”

In addition to calorie-conscious consumers, Crystal Light Raspberry Ice Slurpee provides people living with diabetes a frozen beverage treat. A registered dietitian or certified diabetes educator can help consumers understand how this product can fit into their personalized meal plan.

Over the last decade, the Center for Disease Control reports the number of people living with diabetes has increased to 16 million, a 49 percent increase. The majority of cases are Type 2 diabetes. No longer just a disease of adults, Type 2 diabetes is being diagnosed in children too. American Diabetes Association projections estimate the number of diabetes cases diagnosed will continue to increase by 1 million every year.

“The first thing people want when seeking refreshment is something cold to drink,” Ryckevic said. “And at 7-Eleven, more than half of our customers, regardless of what they’re buying, purchase a beverage of some type. Now those conscious of calories, counting carbohydrates or watching sugar intake won’t have to rule out a Slurpee.”

Following the flavor’s introduction this month in Detroit and Kansas City, 7-Eleven plans to expand the sugar-free Slurpee flavor nationally in July in stores that have at least six Slurpee flavor barrels.

About 7-Eleven, Inc.
7-Eleven, Inc. (NYSE: SE) is the premier name and largest chain in the convenience retailing industry and is observing its 75th anniversary in 2002. Headquartered in Dallas, Texas, 7-Eleven, Inc. operates or franchises approximately 5,800 7-Eleven® stores in the United States and Canada and licenses approximately 17,000 7-Eleven stores in 17 other countries and territories throughout the world. During 2001, 7-Eleven stores worldwide generated total sales of more than $31 billion. Find out more online at www.7-Eleven.com.

About Kraft Food Service
Kraft Food Service is a division of Kraft Foods North America, Inc., the largest branded food and beverage company headquartered in the United States and the second largest worldwide. Kraft Food Service provides a diverse portfolio of brands, marketing and sales expertise and resources to the U.S. foodservice industry.

About Crystal Light
Crystal Light® is a registered trademark of Kraft Foods Holdings Inc. Crystal Light® is the top-selling non-carbonated diet beverage and the number three brand overall of diet beverages in the United States.

Dana Manley
7-Eleven, Inc.

Last edited by 2OnAtkins : Fri, Apr-04-03 at 22:50.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:45

Stats: 213/189/155 Male 5' 8"
BF:27
Progress: 41%

WOW!!! Where are those 11 carbs are coming from? Makes me wonder what's in those slurpees. I always figured they were just frozen versions of regular beverages. Still haven't found them around here, but now I'm not so sure I want to. Guess I'll just freeze the Crystal Light myself and save the carbs.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 19:13

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

I like the sugar free crystal light, also sugar free Tang-close to OJ as you can get!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 21:16
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/240/165 Female 66
BF:55%/45%/20%
Progress: 46%

Just a thought - a 12 ounce slurpee cup with 11g carbs is (I think) the SMALLEST SIZE you can get! Maybe that's enough beverage for most adults, but, um, when I was actually buying slurpees I pretty much always went for the big sizes. Plus, 11g carbs is still too much for me to take in from a snack at one sitting! Especially from a totally artificial beverage.

For all of you who can drink it, I hope you enjoy them and they're very yummy. And I have to admit it's certainly progress and that's a very good sign.

Still, for me personally, I think I'm gonna have to file this one under "Manufacturers who have missed the point and/or finer details of the low-carb concept." Oh well, two steps forward, one step back!

I used to love Crystal Light raspberry ice flavor too. Drank gallons of the stuff, that and the lemonade. Then I figured out aspartame was eating my brain. Heh, I'm just a little bitter I suppose.

Anyway, to end on a positive note - if you go into 7-11, take a look at their carbonated clear fruit-flavored waters, I think they're 0 carbs, and the black cherry one is very good. Strawberry Kiwi is decent too. And no aspartame, unlike most of this kind of beverage.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 10:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%

i've never tried them, sound great but i'll wait until i've hit my goal to indulge.

hmmm, i'd imagine the 11 carbs comes from whatever filler they are using to get that nice 'stiffyness' that makes slurpees so much fun.

wonder what it would take to make my own carb free version? maybe a slushee instead of a slurpee...
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 18:21

Stats: 130/110/104
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default 7 Eleven Slurpees

I have been on and off the Atkins diet since 2001 now. The reason I went on the diet was so I could help my boyfriend lose weight and I wanted to lose a few pounds myself. It went well for us both. But we reached a point where money was tight and its pretty hard to be on the diet when you are dirt poor! So he gained all his weight back and more...but I have stayed pretty much at the weight i reached when I lost everything I wanted.

He is on the diet again and of course to support him I have gone on it as well. I thought seeing the Sugar Free Slurpees at 7 eleven would make the diet so much better for me this time. But when I took him in to get one as well he read the small print and I was sooooo bummed.

How can it be so sugar free and have 11 freakin Carbs! I feel like I should just go and sneak one once a week cause they are soooo addictive!