Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 15:16
Registered Member

Plan: paleo and ketogenic
Stats: 120/113/110 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Hcl??

Hi

I think I posted about this before, but I am wondering if anyone believes that HCL can aid in digestion? I am having some issues with breaking down foods and it appears it happened when I stopped the HCL. Not sure if this is all in my head though!

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 16:24

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I think it really depends on the individual. I started using betaine HCl with pepsin immediately after discontinuing 18 months of PPI's. Been 2.5 years off the PPI's, and I began experiencing GERD symptoms few months ago, a lot of silent reflux and semi-regular heartburn. I hadn't been taking the HCl like in the past, though.

I resumed the HCl and began some other digestive enzymes as well. The silent reflux symptoms seem to have diminished, hopefully it will go away completely. My heartburn would usually come at night just before retiring, taking a dose of the HCl seems to make it go away. I think it works for me, for what I need it for. I believe it's important to know why a supplement is taken or dietary change is being made in order to gauge effective response.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 16:31
Counterweight

Plan: VLC/Moderate Protein
Stats: 291/251.4/150 Female 63.25"
BF:72%/62.5%/26%
Progress: 28%

It seems not everyone produces enough gastric juices to properly digest food. So supplementing with the HCL is actually beneficial. I've considered it but my GERD disappeared completely once I had foods I was allergic to identified.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 04:30

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I'm on my fourth or fifth month with it. I definitely saw a change for the better. Not that I was having digestive issues like GERD, but I noticed that I felt better after taking them.

The number of capsules goes by how much protein is in the meal. After a period of time your body is retrained and you can taper off. I'm closing in on that; I take them every other meal now.