Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-14, 13:37

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 288/224.8/180 Female 66 in
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Strangest clothing fix you have attempted to save $$

Mine... I'm getting ready to take in the side seams of my panties! LOL TMI...

So tired of yanking them up all the time, and they were newly purchased earlier in the year, so they aren't worn out yet. My frugal side just can't kick them to the curb yet!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-14, 15:32

Plan: Less than 30g carbs
Stats: 349/286.2/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I know what you mean... I've been hitting ebay to get some stuff to keep me going for a bit. I begrudge paying over the odds to buy 'big girl' clothes when I'm hoping to get rid of this weight! Everything's so expensive.

I deliberately bought sandals that I could adjust (lots of buckle holes) simply because I didn't want to throw them away lol.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-03-14, 16:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

After two years I finally cleaned out my closet this weekend. Got rid of three expensive dress pants. Off to goodwill. I couldn't part with my $900 suit or my $200 overcoat which could each house a small family.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 00:27

BF:

Why not see if you can get them altered by a tailor, inflammabl? It might be worth a little money so you can use them again.

Then again, you could save the money, and just splurge when you get to your goal and get some new stuff!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 09:30
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I have a good selection of clothes of all sizes, many of them still new or like new. I'm pretty much covered until I get down to 275. At that point, I will be in clothes that are more than 20 years old. Some of them might look a little silly. While in weight loss mode, I have no problems wearing second hand clothes. I only fit something for a month or two before it no longer works. So there is no new wardrobe in my future until I reach my goal weight. I'll keep drilling holes in my belts and making due with what I have.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 10:57

Plan: VLC/Carnivore
Stats: 369/301/299 Female 5'9"
BF:too much.
Progress: 97%

Let's see. I've put drawstrings thru the waistbands of dresspants to cinch 'em up, and I've seamed bras at the back to make the band smaller lol. Haven't seamed panties yet lol!

I have reworked some tshirts, fashioning them to new smaller styles, though that's a hobby of mine. "Hacking" or "upcycling" clothing to make something ugly, too big, or unwearable into something new and more fashionable
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 11:03

BF:

As a turtle, losing about 3 lbs a month, I still have a full closet. Things are just starting to fall off, so I can make some adjustments and make them work for a while longer. I'm just hoping by the turn of the year, I'm ready to replace what I have now, with newer things that haven't been in my closet for years.

Losing weight this slow makes it hard to walk away from temptations. I just hit another plateau, but it was expected, as I was at this weight for quite some time. I keep telling myself losing slow lets the skin catch up, but I'm not sure I'm convincing myself.

Except for the legs of my jeans and my panties, I'm still wearing the exact same clothes I was at the beginning of the year. They just drape much nicer, and I have weeded out a pile that were just baggy in the wrong areas.

I'm a little jealous at those of you who are into new clothes. I'm a thrift shopper anyway, but I have no reason to look yet.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 11:05

BF:

Love the re-seaming bra idea! I may have to try that, as I'm changing hooks just recently.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-05-14, 09:55

I have, as well, deliberately bought bras in the right cup size but a smaller band size, esp if I can get said bras on sale. Then just used band extenders while I'm bigger (I have every standard color and sets of 3 and 4 hook extenders, all together, less than $10 for all). I figure eventually I'll move down in band size, and then the bras will fit JUST right
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 06:53

Plan: Atkins, M&E
Stats: 297/289/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I use pantyhose as a belt on my jeans. I don't have any real belts and the pantyhose is comfortable and adjustable!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 06:58

^^^great idea Different colors could make a style statement too. Plus they have a bit of 'give' where regular belts don't. I'm stealing it!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 14:35

BF:

Ok... the pantyhose as a belt thing needs a picture. I can't visualize it. Do you make a bow? just a knot? use metal clasps instead?

I have a belt I purposely bought that is sets of holes from the buckle to the end. I can cinch that puppy up all the way to goal if need be, and never need to buy. Of course, its not the most attractive thing in the world, but it will be highly functional and thrifty. One purchase should be good for years to come.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-14, 16:41
Craft Ninja!

Plan: Dr. Atkins/Dr. Westman
Stats: 204/194/169 Female 5'6" inches
BF:high wght over 204
Progress: 29%

My strangest clothing fix was when I was out of town, no sewing machine, I tied knots in the back of my bras because they had become too big around! Usually I would stitch the backs. I have one that I still can't get the knots out of!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-14, 15:45

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Been having to have my new clothes hemmed since a lot of my current sizes have a inseam much longer. Anyhow i asked my tailor if he can adjust waist sizes and he said yes. So going to take some of my nice progress jeans (44/46/48)and have him adjust the waist 4 inches or however much is needed to match my current size (40). Nice to get a lot more use out of those as it seemed i just flew by those sizes.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Sep-10-14, 00:42

BF:

Well done, Maori. Look at your stats - over 200 lbs gone! You are an awesome inspiration! x