Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 20:02

Plan: Maximized Living
Stats: 153/143/125 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:23.7
Progress: 36%
Default IBS and low carb?

I've been dealing with constipation and diarrhea a lot lately. I had to into the ER last night because it was bothering me so much aqnd the doctor said I had IBS. I was given meds but I still don't feel normal. I never had these problems before I started eating low carb. I've been doing my best to get a balance of good vegetables but maybe it's not enough. What can I do? I feel like there's a five lb weight on my stomach and it's really uncomfortable...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-11, 20:07

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

Have you ever been tested for celiac...my doctor told me everyone who has been told they have IBS should be tested for celiac.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 00:32

Well, I don't know if the ER. doctor checked for celiac's or not, but I had multiple blood samples drawn and a urine sample. She said that everything looked fine to her and then told me it was IBS. I don't know if I need more fiber in my diet or something else, but I'm constantly dealing with a bloaty feeling that's really uncomfortable.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 03:53

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Meat should pass through your system without needing fibre. Your body should be be digesting so much of it that there is very little left to pass out the other end. The meat should be fairly fatty and not over cooked though.
Celiac disease symptoms are caused by eating foods containing gluten. If you are not eating those then celiac disease shouldn't be a problem.
Are you eating nuts? I really like them but they cause me problems. What are the typical foods you eat?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 08:57
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I have IBS and lowcarb has been the best thing for it. No more doubled over belly cramps, no explosive trips to the bathroom. When I up my carbs, back come the symptoms. Sugar alcohols are my only loose stools any more-so I try to avoid them. Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-11, 09:00
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What are you eating? Low carb highlighted issues I have with gluten and a few other things. I've done some trial and error tests and found that gluten, nuts and certain raw veggies upset my gut a lot. I'd cook all veggies until your gut settles down.

If you're eating low carb products, check them for gluten. It is also in soy sauce, beer, anything containing malt (in the US). You can usually buy gluten free soy, beer and so on.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 12:29

Well, other than almonds I don't really eat many nuts and I have been completely off wheat for a few months. I did start doing some research and for some people with sensitive digestive tracts do need to take fiber supplements in order to avoid IBS. Since adding a supplement of psyllium husks and taking docusate sodium (which was prescribed) i've been feeling significantly better. I also met someone here at school who has celiac's disease and since quitting her gluten intake has had similar issues. She said that doing the same thing has helped her as well.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 12:34

http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips012.html

Here's some more info for others having the same symptoms as me.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 13:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyloves
Well, other than almonds I don't really eat many nuts and I have been completely off wheat for a few months. I did start doing some research and for some people with sensitive digestive tracts do need to take fiber supplements in order to avoid IBS. Since adding a supplement of psyllium husks and taking docusate sodium (which was prescribed) i've been feeling significantly better. I also met someone here at school who has celiac's disease and since quitting her gluten intake has had similar issues. She said that doing the same thing has helped her as well.

I've had some awful IBS attacks from almonds. Try to cut them out and test them when your bowels are quiet.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-04-11, 16:36

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyloves
Well, other than almonds I don't really eat many nuts
Do you eat them with the skins on?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-22-11, 14:38

Plan: non specific
Stats: 138/135/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

How about your stress level. IBS is connected to stress.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 18:35

Plan: Sugar Busters
Stats: 140/130/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Smile I too have IBS. There is help

Hi KittyLoves,
I hope this helps: I'm new to this site, and your msg touched me. I walked in those shoes since the onset of this year. I recommend a book by Dr. Mark Pimentel, A New IBS Solution. He goes on to explain, IBS is not in your head, but bacteria growing in the small intestines, which should be sterile, and is treating many patients successfully. He has a good diet plan in there also, and will explain why scientifically it will work.

I don't have medical insurance, but am treating my IBS successfully homeopathically. I make my own keifer (this stops the pain and diarrehea), and take entercentric peppermint oil with oregano (the oregano kills the bacteria in my small intestines. I also do not eat any fried foods, nor products containing lactose, artificial or chemical sweetners (these also feed the bacteria in my small intestines and allow it to multiply) I use a touch of raw honey and pure stevia to sweeten my coffee and tea. I follow the sugar busters diet, & have lost 10lbs this month. Hooray!

I serve a loving heavenly Father who loves us, & is leading me towards complete healing.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 08:35

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You should try a low FODMAp diet. Many people with IBS symptoms have got much needed relief from this. What it does is greatly reduce or eliminate many foods high in FODMAP (this stands for something but don't know off hand what it is). Most of the food to eliminate fall into the veggie and fruit category. That doesn't mean you can't eat any, it's only certain ones like no onions, no cruciferous veggies, no apples, no mangos, etc. It also advises against dairy and what. After you calm it your symptoms down (about 6 weeks), you can slowly introduce one food at a time to see if it causes you a bad reaction. All proteins (meats, fish, eggs) are allowed along with white rice (jasmine and basmati are best), yellow potatoes, oats, and quinoa. It seems very bland at first from what most of us are used to but the results have been astounding for me and many others.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 17:11

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

I've had IBS-"C" for many years. Even during the years I wasn't LCing I took magnesium to keep things moving. I also have fibromyalgia, and malic acid(magnesium malate)is the form a 'fibro doc' recommended to me years ago, so that is the form I still take. I don't recall the affect it was supposed to have on the fibro(maybe a muscle relaxant), but it definitely helped the "C", so I've stuck with it.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-12, 17:20

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 165/130/125 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%

Sorry, I didn't notice the "D" part of your post. Magnesium would make it worse.
You might look up info on The Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It is for people with celiac, gluten intolerances, crohn's, etc. I had the book many years ago(hoping it would help the fibro)but gave it to a friend who's son was in the hospital with I think crohn's. She was eventually able to manage his symptoms with the diet and get him off of some of the horrible meds he had to take.