Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 17:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default How Ketogenic might work its metabolic magic

Since going Ketogenic a few weeks ago for its helpful effect on autoimmune issues (so far, so good) I’ve been doing a lot of research to implement it in the best way for me.

(And there is more than one way to tackle autoimmune, since the Wahls Protocol achieves its results with NINE cups of vegetables a day.)

One fascinating side note came up, and I found a good article which explains it well:

What You Need to Know About Deuterium: Fatigue, Cancer, Metabolic Issues

Quote:
Too much deuterium in your body also causes problems in mitochondria, the “powerhouses of the cell.” If you can’t get enough energy to your cells, you will experience fatigue and related issues.

I’m listening to the Wahls Audiobook, and mitochondria health is the center of her healing and research approach.

Quote:
By understanding deuterium we can better understand why studies of the ketogenic diet have shown positive outcomes for diabetes, cancer, epilepsy and neurological disorders, obesity, and more, and also why fasting is a useful practice for health and longevity.

Here’s why your body’s deuterium levels are probably too high (above 130 ppm):

Deuterium levels in the water we drink and breathe have been rising for about the past 11,700 years

Eating carbohydrates and processed foods elevates deuterium in our bodies

When we get insufficient sleep, sunlight, cold exposure, or exercise, or breathe improperly, we accumulate deuterium

Sounds like one of the keys to understanding those diseases of civilization to me. Here’s the takeaway:

Quote:
There are several ways to lower deuterium for better health and wellness:

Fasting and dry fasting lower deuterium

Ketogenic diet, seasonal ketogenic diet, and low-carb high-fat diets lower deuterium

Quality sleep in darkness lowers deuterium

Sunlight, cold exposure, breathwork, and exercise help lower deuterium

Drinking deuterium-depleted water (DDW) lowers deuterium

Tons of science at the link for those inclined, but I wanted to share this for others who are exploring this path.

It is only somewhat new to me, since I’ve been a Kruse fan for years, and this is just a deeper dive.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 20:20

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

This, the very last post on the comments section. I read a lot about this last year.

Quote:
"The high sugar intake is the major cause for cancers and it causes the sugar glycolysis mode that loads up the glycolysis waste products like Lactic Acid that sets up the growth media for viruses in these areas and hence cancers.

This all explains the mechanism of Otto Warburg and his discovery that cancers do not happen with alkaline pH levels. The site for this is the metabolic water of the mitochondria ATP production zones and the glycolysis makes these areas acidic and loaded with excess deuterium.

All this goes to show these illness pandemic in human health are due to too much sugar and thus deuterium levels in the food chain and that the better food pyramid is good fats with low deuterium levels like Omega III from plants and fish and other good fats from grass fed sources of all kinds. Human health is destroyed by factory farms feeding fish high deuterium carbs or cattle high deuterium carb grains."

https://medium.com/~jimphelps_61556...ct-81ec2b318734
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-19, 22:55

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

If I understand correctly, the primary causality is with the energy substrates where fat is the most effective (of the main three - fat, protein, starch/carbs) with regard to endogenous DDW (deuterium-depleted water) production.

Then there's the question of DDW intake-outcome ratio that just doesn't make any sense at a glance. It's like a 10% difference in intake produces a 50% difference in plasma level. It doesn't make any sense if we assume that there's a direct mass-to-mass correlation. On the other hand, it doesn't make any sense either if we start with the premise that deuterium displaces hydrogen and then interferes with functions where some of these functions are involved in the management of deuterium, and then we assume that it's still just a question of mass-to-mass correlation. Just the fact that the observation doesn't match mass-to-mass expectations should tell us that there's more to it than just mass-to-mass.

It's hard to explain how I see it but imagine you're making shovels, and to make shovels you need tools that do exactly what shovels do (need shovels to make shovels, get it?), and the only such tools available are either shovels or very leaky sieves, and the only tools available now is those pesky sieves. So initially the work is very slow, but once you make your first shovel, work efficiency just goes through the roof and the next shovel you make is that much cheaper and quicker to make, and so forth. Now extend this to a huge matrix (like the body where there's something like trillions of such points) where each production point requires any number of other production points, and no production point can produce anything until it gets the output of the other production points. Now start with a matrix where all points have shovels, then introduce a very leaky sieve at just one point. Every point that relies on that sieve point produces anything only when this sieve point produces something, and this sieve point's output rate is very very low, so all points that rely on this one are obviously low as well. Now extend this to all the other points that rely on those shovel points that rely on that single sieve point and you can see how even a single point within the matrix can affect the entire matrix in such a hugely disproportionate ratio. Well, now do the same thing but introduce a shovel instead at a point where there used to be a leaky sieve, and that's what DDW does.

Now let's add transport into the mix, so we get output-input and input-output. So, output-input is between two points (that's the transport), and input-output is production time within a point. Now let's say that transport also needs shovels to move things along between two points. So even if two points that rely on each other both have shovels, if transport still uses only a sieve, those two points will only be as productive as what that sluggish transport can supply. Now let's add backup handling to the system, where if a point can produce more than another point can take in, a system kicks in and stops that initial point so its output doesn't clog transport. Now let's say that this backup handling system also needs a shovel, but it's only got a sieve. Now let's say that some points need multiple shovels and have a high chance to blow up even if just one of those shovels gets replaced with a sieve. Now let's say that the repair systems that go in and fix this break also need shovels, and so forth.

Does this make any sense?

Anyways, we're talking water here and fairly recently I watched a couple lectures by Gerald Pollack on what he calls EZ water (EZ stands for exclusion zone). I just did a quick search for DDW and found a site called Dancing with Water that deals with pretty much everything about water, its properties and its effects on various things. So on their page about DDW they got a lecture where the speaker briefly mentions Gerald and his work on water. Here's that lecture: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAbKmyjvFaY

And here's Gerald's: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPvYxDDpAgo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOp350kTlY and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9UC0chfXcg

Now here's something that could be significant about Gerald's work in the context of deuterium and DDW. He discovered that water (H2O) separates into H+ and OH- when exposed to light. Well if light can separate one H from H2O, it can probably separate one deuterium from heavy water. And if it can do that, it would explain at least part of the biological mechanisms that handle excess deuterium. So for example when EZ water forms and expands, it excludes the separated H+ which could then be transported elsewhere. And because EZ water cycles between expansion and contraction, the process of separating and excluding H+ and transporting it elsewhere is repeated, and this would also be true for deuterium separation exclusion and transport.

Now the thing that puzzles me is that dietary fat is most effective at endogenous DDW production, and how. I imagine that it's got something to do with the hormones that regulate water, i.e. where it goes, how much is stored and where, etc, and how these hormones are differently affected by those main three energy substrates. I mean, it puzzles me but all I really need to know is which one is most effective.

Last edited by M Levac : Wed, Jan-30-19 at 05:11.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 05:06

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Also check out Dr. David Perlmutter's two books; Brain Maker and Grain Brain for Keto and autoimmune.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 06:39

BF:

The fat thing intrigues me. It explains a lot about ketones.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 06:43

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Also check out Dr. David Perlmutter's two books; Brain Maker and Grain Brain for Keto and autoimmune.

Thanks! I have read them.

In my case, this serious flare was preceded by a few months of serious carb slide. So I’ve got correlation and I suspect causation

I am also impressed that Dr. Jack Kruse’s work has sparked some genuine interest in other medical professionals, and serious research. I have to say that his writing is difficult to decipher and his brain is going a million miles a hour without pause for the passenger he is trying to take along, but it is also undeniable that at this point:

He was the first doctor to figure out what was wrong with me, and what he says to do: works.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 06:52

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yeah ketones is the first thing that came to mind then I thought I'd never looked at deuterium or DDW until you posted about it so it's news to me. The thing I'm most interested in is the DDW itself, especially the extent of whatever effect. I mean, OK, plasma level goes down, but that means nothing to me unless I can see the effects that come with it, right?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-19, 07:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Now let's say that this backup handling system also needs a shovel, but it's only got a sieve. Now let's say that some points need multiple shovels and have a high chance to blow up even if just one of those shovels gets replaced with a sieve. Now let's say that the repair systems that go in and fix this break also need shovels, and so forth.

Does this make any sense?

Yes, I think it's a fine analogy.

One thing I have in abundance right now is cold So I'm going to try cold exposure (we have an unheated porch in the apartment house with a comfy couch to sit on, and I spent time there this morning.) Easy to finish with a cold shower as long as I can stand it.

Ever since discovering Kruse's work in 2014, I've been following his sleep protocol, which is about restricting blue light after sundown, and I get the dark room with a sleep mask. I probably tried a dozen kinds until I found my present one only a few months ago: the best yet, the Nidra Deep Rest Contoured Eye Mask. It can be done!