Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 08:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Ever try a low-carb diet?"

Ever try a low-carb diet?

Friday, January 23, 2004

link to article
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever try a low-carb diet?

Amy Barbieri
Haight-Ashbury

Although the Atkins diet worked for many of my friends and family members, my experience was awful. I strictly followed the program for a month and was tired and irritable the entire time. But I lost 12 pounds in the first 10 days.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daniel Raskin
Bernal Heights

Two years ago I got heart disease. I went on the Ornish diet, which is basically high carbs. I lost 20 pounds -- from 195 to 175. I've kept it off. Low-carbs would never work for me. With coronary artery disease, you don't want any fat.

Lucy Wang
Nob Hill

I've been eating a modified low-carb diet for the past two years and have noticed significant results. Along with a regular exercise routine (running and weight lifting) it's made my body leaner and more sculpted. My philosophy is to eat a balanced diet, consume everything in moderation, and exercise.

George Lindsay
Parnassus Heights

When I quit smoking, I gained a lot of weight. I decided to try a low- carb diet because I did not want to give up meat. In six weeks, I lost 65 pounds, and at the age of 50 I returned to the weight I was when I joined the Army, 28 years earlier. With little difficulty, I have maintained that weight for the past 35 years.

Alan Segal
Ashbury Heights

I tried for about 24 hours until the first plate of pasta pesto was put in front of me in a North Beach restaurant. Yeah, just try and give up bread when you live in San Francisco. You might as well be dead.

Two Cents is a pool of Bay Area residents we tap for comments and anecdotes. Columns are a representative sampling of responses to questions we pose via e-mail. To join the pool, e-mail us at twocents~sfchronicle.com.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 11:12
Lurking LowCarber

Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Very interesting little find here, gotbeer!

I know the LC WoL doesn't work for everyone, and some people jump from plan to plan until they find one that works well for them. This is a good sampling here, proving just that fact.

Unfortunately, some people think if it doesn't work for them, it shouldn't work for anyone. Thankfully, this sampling (somewhat) disproves that theory. I'm particularly thankful that one person admitted it was an issue of will-power and not being able to say no to pasta or bread.

I wonder if there's something like this for the DFW area...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-23-04, 11:28
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'll keep an eye out for it, but I think this particular idea may be exclusive to the SF Chronicle.