Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 02:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default The 5:2 inventor: Your diet myths busted - and where vegans are going wrong

Quote:
From the Telegraph
London, UK
19 December, 2018

The 5:2 inventor: Your diet myths busted - and where vegans are going wrong

Male lies about waist sizes, diets that raise our risk of dementia and the pitfalls of veganism are just some of reasons why Dr Michael Mosley is taking to the road

“I spend my life talking to experts and discovering new research into health and nutrition and now I’m taking what I’ve learned on the road to share it with the public,” explains Dr Michael Mosley.

As an inquisitive GP and investigative health journalist, Mosley isn’t afraid of putting his own body to the test in the name of medicine, including living with a tapeworm growing inside his stomach. Now the presenter of more than a dozen health shows, including Inside The Human Body and Trust Me I’m A Doctor, is embarking on his first ever UK theatre tour.

“I’ll be using cutting edge research that most doctors don’t know about to correct a lot of fallacies about fat, food and fitness,” he says. "I’m looking at the world’s most addictive foods – even more moreish than sugar – and discussing the science-backed evidence into the effectiveness of everyday exercise programmes like 10,000 steps versus Active 10 (doing just 10 minutes of exercise a day).”

Where vegans go wrong

One tour topic that’s sure to cause a stir will be his take on veganism. Mosley famously pioneered the 5:2 diet, where you eat normally for five days a week and then for two non-consecutive days you eat just 25% of your usual calorie total. He took it up after suffering a health scare: “I went to my GP because my wife nagged me to get a mole checked out. I thought it could be skin cancer. It was fine but the blood tests I had at the time revealed I had type 2 diabetes.”

He reversed his diagnosis by switching to the 5:2 diet and now he’s adapting it to test the health implications of going meat free. “Veganism has become very trendy, but there are upsides and downsides to it. Unless you do veganism properly you’re at risk of suffering from nutritional deficiency.”

Dr Mosley is committing to two days a week eating only vegan food as part of an ongoing self-experiment, but he predicts the meat-free meal plan will soon be overtaken by new trends that will also catch even health experts by surprise.

“One of them is called ‘time restricted feeding’,” he explains. “It’s an advance of the intermittent fasting routine which the 5:2 diet works to, but in this case you cut down the hours in the day in which you eat. There’s some unbelievably fascinating research into this area which shows that by shrinking the time you eat and extending fasting you can better manage your weight as well as enhance the health of brain and other organs.”

Body fat fends off dementia

Another new trend that he insists will grip image-conscious audience members is ketosis. “Ketosis, or the burning of fat to fuel the body, is on the rise among athletes especially but now the science behind it is of interest to those looking to lose weight and protect the brain from the onset of dementia.

“We know that half of all women and a third of all men will die with dementia, and yet evidence shows by reverting to the fuelling system that our ancestors use (fat burning) we protect the brain and keep it running better for longer.

“All humans have three back-up energy systems. We mainly run on sugar in the form of glucose. When that runs out the body switches over to glycogen which is basically stored glucose. Then, when that depletes, the body’s metabolic switch goes into burning ‘ketone bodies’,” he adds.

That’s a fat in the body which turns out to be profoundly good for our organs.
“The brain prefers to run on ketones and from an evolutionary perspective it’s how we used survive, in a state where we constantly called upon ketones for fuel. We no longer do that which is contributing to the obesity crisis.”

Dr Mosley aims to arm those attending his tour with the know-how to tap into their ketones and reap the rewards, but he insists it won’t be through a popular fad called the ketogenic diet. “That’s not the way because people using it adopt a high-fat diet which is probably very, very unhealthy in the long-term.”

Rapid weight loss works

As part of his ‘myth busting’ remit Dr Mosley will be also highlighting how rapid weight loss through crash dieting isn’t the demon it’s made out to be.

“Lots of big trials are showing that rapid weight loss is one of the most effective ways to lose weight in the short, medium and long term. There’s a growing body of evidence which shows the benefits of rapid weight loss even though we’re constantly being told to 'diet slow and steady’. That really isn’t effective.”

Dr Mosley will be joined by his wife, Clare, also a GP, on the tour. “Clare devises all the recipes for my books, plus she’ll be able to tell the audience what it’s like sleeping next to a man who had a tapeworm growing inside him. I’ll also be talking about my work at the BBC over the years with David Attenborough, John Cleese and the lovely Jeremy Clarkson.”

“I’ll be looking at widely held beliefs which don’t stand up to scrutiny, and why most men, dangerously, lie about their waist size. In short your waist measurement needs to be less than half your height. If it isn’t then you need to lose it, especially if it’s gathering around your stomach as fat.

“There’s also a perception that people who are overweight have only themselves to blame. But so much of the obesity issue is down to external factors, such as manufacturers who are producing foods which are unbelievably addictive, far worse than sugar even. I’ll be revealing the magic formula they’re using to do this too.”

Michael Mosley Trust Fast Health at theatres around the UK from 2 February 2019. For ticket information www.michaelmosley.co.uk

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-...y-future-diets/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 06:02

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
That’s a fat in the body which turns out to be profoundly good for our organs.
“The brain prefers to run on ketones and from an evolutionary perspective it’s how we used survive, in a state where we constantly called upon ketones for fuel. We no longer do that which is contributing to the obesity crisis.”

Dr Mosley aims to arm those attending his tour with the know-how to tap into their ketones and reap the rewards, but he insists it won’t be through a popular fad called the ketogenic diet. “That’s not the way because people using it adopt a high-fat diet which is probably very, very unhealthy in the long-term.”
Huh? Pity, not in England to see this show.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 18:36

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
“Veganism has become very trendy, but there are upsides and downsides to it. Unless you do veganism properly you’re at risk of suffering from nutritional deficiency.”

Jeebus, no. When you do veganism properly, you will suffer deficiencies of all kinds. Just ask Lierre Keith.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 19:12

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Sorry for the multiples, I just have to reply to this bollocks. See what I did there? Hehe.
Quote:
“All humans have three back-up energy systems. We mainly run on sugar in the form of glucose. When that runs out the body switches over to glycogen which is basically stored glucose. Then, when that depletes, the body’s metabolic switch goes into burning ‘ketone bodies’,” he adds.

Jeebus, no, again. Glycogen never depletes. Ever. If it ever did, we'd be talking about a very specific type of extremely rare glycogen storage disorder. No way no how can we use this in any reasonable fashion to explain what happens to the general population "when we run out of glucose". But then this refutes the premise that we run out of glucose at any point, cuz glycogen never depletes. So, none of that is the impetus for the switch to ketones. The impetus is negative stimulus of insulin, i.e. when we stop eating so much carbs, insulin drops so low (yet well within normal), that the liver can now perform one of its primary functions - ketogenesis. And this last refutes the premise that we run mainly on sugar in the form of glucose, because for that to be true, we'd have to shut down ketogenesis completely by some means, which happens to be eating lots and lots of carbs all the time, which if we were to measure the results of in the blood, we'd diagnose diabetes type 2 through several indirect and direct markers like blood glucose level and HbA1c.
Quote:

OK, I ran out of Jeebuses. This is the most absurd nonsense I've read today. A high-fat diet is the definition of a ketogenic diet. How can we not adopt the definition of a thing when we adopt the thing itself, huh? As for the fad thing, if we start changing the definition of the word fad by including something we've been doing for at least 150 years in various forms (Banting et al) or even the MKD which has been used for a few decades already and is well established as a genuine medical treatment, we got a problem. If anything can be called a fad by comparision, it's official guidelines in any form, and very likely whatever you say Mr Mosley, cuz really I never heard of you before I read this bollocks, but I truly heard from and about a whole bunch of other people (and I've even communicated directly with a couple of the prominent figures like Gary) who talked and talked and talked about the ketogenic diet in many many many forms for a decade up to now. Jeebus, under what rock did that guy crawl out from.
Quote:
“There’s also a perception that people who are overweight have only themselves to blame. But so much of the obesity issue is down to external factors, such as manufacturers who are producing foods which are unbelievably addictive, far worse than sugar even. I’ll be revealing the magic formula they’re using to do this too.”

Jeebus, I mean Jeebus. Next he's gonna tell us he's a Grand Master Alchemist or something?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-18, 17:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Marketing. That’s all this is.