Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-19-09, 20:31

Plan: none, now V-Diet
Stats: 225/154/149 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default V-Diet and Metformin too low carbs?

I have been on the V-Diet for 13 days. Week 1 I took my Met sporatically as I was on vacation and forgot really. I felt really good, no blood sugar spikes, etc. At the end of the week, my waist measurement dropped 1.25 inches. Week 2 ends and I have taken the Met religiously, been moody, low sex drive, gained 3lbs and gained a total of 2.25 inches in the waist measurement.

Could I be having some sort of counteraction from the Met. I am on 58 grams of Carbs per day (26 grams fiber). There is no way I should/could gain weight on a caloric deficiet. I get over an hour of excersize daily.

What do yall think is going on? Should I go back off the Met and see what happens this week?

Thanks sooo much in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-22-09, 19:25

Plan: VLC
Stats: 215/171.6/130 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/35%/20%
Progress: 51%

Let me tell you, when I took metformin after being diagnosed with PCOS I literally gained 15 pounds in two weeks, and that was while eating low carb and exercising! I had a terrible reaction to that drug! I now put it on my allergy list due to the excessive diarrhea (like every 10 minutes literally), bloating beyond belief, cramps just terrible.

I have done better just low carbing and exercising. At the time of diagnosis I weighed 200 pounds. After two week follow up after intro to the metformin I literally weighed 215. I am now around 175ish. (I have to update my ticker), I think I'm lower than 175 but my scale took a crap and I need to buy a new one. Do a test drive off of it, but I don't think this is a miracle drug for everyone. It sure wasn't for me, and possibly it isn't for you either.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:03

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofbcs
I have been on the V-Diet for 13 days. Week 1 I took my Met sporatically as I was on vacation and forgot really. I felt really good, no blood sugar spikes, etc. At the end of the week, my waist measurement dropped 1.25 inches. Week 2 ends and I have taken the Met religiously, been moody, low sex drive, gained 3lbs and gained a total of 2.25 inches in the waist measurement.

Could I be having some sort of counteraction from the Met. I am on 58 grams of Carbs per day (26 grams fiber). There is no way I should/could gain weight on a caloric deficiet. I get over an hour of excersize daily.

What do yall think is going on? Should I go back off the Met and see what happens this week?

Thanks sooo much in advance for your help.

I really don't know what the V-diet is, so I cannot speak to the diet.
Metformin Should NOT cause a blood sugar drop. It doesn't work like that.
I've never heard of Metformin affecting mood or sex drive.

I would never recommend to someone to stop a medication ordered by a physican without consulting the physician.