Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 00:45

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default How to solve Europe’s obesity problem

Quote:
How to solve Europe’s obesity problem

Experts tackle the bloc’s crisis of lifestyle diseases.

4/17/19, Updated 4/29/19

Life expectancy in Europe is steadily increasing. But the World Health Organization warns that progress risks backsliding amid growing rates of obesity, smoking and alcohol consumption. Heart disease and cancer are the leading causes of death among people living in the EU.

POLITICO asked nine health care experts if Europe is suffering a crisis of lifestyle diseases and if so, what should the next wave of policymakers in Brussels do about it?

Quote:
Stop Big Food and Big Pharma killing for profit

Aseem Malhotra is honorary consultant cardiologist at the Lister Hospital in the U.K. and a trustee at the King's Fund.

Life expectancy may be increasing in some parts of Europe but every country is seeing a rising burden of chronic disease. This predominantly relates to poor lifestyle and overconsumption of ultra-processed food, but this is not an issue of personal responsibility. It’s a result of a systematic failure by policymakers to protect people from the excesses and manipulations of the junk food industry.

The EU's next leaders need to ban the sale of junk food in hospitals and close to schools; make unhealthy food less affordable through taxation; and launch public health campaigns that are backed by the media. Those policies worked to slash cigarette consumption and would have a profound and rapid impact on reducing diet-related diseases too.

But Europe’s crisis of lifestyle disease is also a result of endemic corruption within the health care industry. Medical guidelines on prescription drugs have been bought out by the pharmaceutical industry (aided and abetted by influential academics), resulting in an overmedicated population now experiencing the detrimental side-effects of medications.

The EU needs to completely overhaul the regulatory system that allows industry-sponsored data to have such a huge influence on prescribing practices. Honest doctors can no longer practice honest medicine because we’re having to make decisions based on biased and corrupted information — leading to bad outcomes for our patients.

https://www.politico.eu/article/sym...alth-care-2024/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 06:05

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I'm sure that my definition of 'junk food' is much different than the major medical association's definition is. I consider foods high in carbohydrates, refined vegetable oils, and preservatives to be junk. That would include most meals served in expensive restaurants.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 10:36

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

While I usually like Dr. Aseem Malhotra, I'm not a big fan of nanny-taxing people into compliance with healthy behaviors, which is what his answer sounds like.

People have shown a willingness to try to comply with public nutrition guidelines (like the US' food pyramid, plate, etc.). I think the first step is to issue food and nutrition guidelines that are actually healthy, so people can try to follow those on their own. This would also improve the nutrition profile of food served in institutions like hospitals, schools, nursing homes, and the military.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 11:12

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
While I usually like Dr. Aseem Malhotra, I'm not a big fan of nanny-taxing people into compliance with healthy behaviors, which is what his answer sounds like.
I agree!

One big problem with nanny taxes and banning "unhealthy foods" from schools, hospitals, etc is that some governmental agency will decide what foods are "unhealthy" and those decisions are likely to be based on fundamentally poor "studies." And, the decision makers are likely to be heavily influences by various industry and active interest groups. With the current rising tide of activist Vegans, I can easily imagine taxes being placed on ALL animal-based food product and schools being told that they must ONLY serve plant-based foods.

NOT a world I want to live in, thank you!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 19:03

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8

People have shown a willingness to try to comply with public nutrition guidelines (like the US' food pyramid, plate, etc.). I think the first step is to issue food and nutrition guidelines that are actually healthy, so people can try to follow those on their own. This would also improve the nutrition profile of food served in institutions like hospitals, schools, nursing homes, and the military.

I wasnt a fan of taxing as a method either HOWEVER I changed my tune when this method has been demonstrated as the best and fastest way to change buying choices.

While I do think people should have a choice in the matter, I want to see a huge improvement in chronic health issues ASAP-- even ASAP is not fast enough to please me.

We are in a crisis--- and not only is it killing us but FAR FAR too many dollars are spent on avoidable diseases.
--------
As for junk food near schools, someone better look INSIDE the schools--- there are vending machine galore, and the food served is questionable. I dont let my kids eat school lunches.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-19, 21:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
I agree!

One big problem with nanny taxes and banning "unhealthy foods" from schools, hospitals, etc is that some governmental agency will decide what foods are "unhealthy" and those decisions are likely to be based on fundamentally poor "studies." And, the decision makers are likely to be heavily influences by various industry and active interest groups. With the current rising tide of activist Vegans, I can easily imagine taxes being placed on ALL animal-based food product and schools being told that they must ONLY serve plant-based foods.

NOT a world I want to live in, thank you!

Well stated, this is a valid concern and acceding to the government the authority of placing limits on free-will decisions that do not negatively impact others is both dangerous and wrong.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 03:29

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
One big problem with nanny taxes and banning "unhealthy foods" from schools, hospitals, etc is that some governmental agency will decide what foods are "unhealthy" and those decisions are likely to be based on fundamentally poor "studies."

Well, governmental agencies are already deciding what is healthy for us, based on fundamentally poor studies. That's just the guidelines.

The real issue I think is just that they are getting it horribly wrong when it comes to deciding what is healthy and what isn't. Once that message itself gets fixed, then the need for taxation probably reduces anyway.

I'm fine with taxation personally, but only as a last step, not the first one. The first step just needs to be to get the message right imo.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 05:32

BF:

Get involved. I got on a commitee to regulate food policy at school. We had voted to ban ALL food based birthday celebration, and replace with fun pencils etc. Everyday cupcakes marched into grammer school. Sugary junk food.

Well, the superintendant voiced her opinion everyone caved. Everyone. I resigned. I quit.

During that time I met with food vendors for school lunches in hopes of improving the offerings. They follow government guidelines to get subsities. Another company got the contract, and again I had a meeting. No change. Fruit juice is a fruit. Chocolate milk is a milk.

My kid sucked down sweetened chocolate milk. Repeated requests to limit my son's choices to whole milk was ignored.

Since starting school, my kids food choices have declined and its a constant battle . One I refuse to quit. I refuse to pay for school lunch so kids must pack a lunch: real whole fruit, nuts, chocolates, ind serving yogurts, jerky, cheese, and yes, sigh, peanut butter sandwhiches. Better, not perfect.

Along this journey I realized this town is very poor. High percent of subsidized housing, low teacher pay, poor school performance......will take more than one mother on a bandwagon.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 06:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Well stated, this is a valid concern and acceding to the government the authority of placing limits on free-will decisions that do not negatively impact others is both dangerous and wrong.

Here in the US government got involved with cigarettes which included increaseing the age of purchase and increasing the tax dramatically resulting in a dramatic decrease in useage
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 06:38

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Get involved. I got on a commitee to regulate food policy at school. We had voted to ban ALL food based birthday celebration, and replace with fun pencils etc. Everyday cupcakes marched into grammer school. Sugary junk food.

Well, the superintendant voiced her opinion everyone caved. Everyone. I resigned. I quit.

During that time I met with food vendors for school lunches in hopes of improving the offerings. They follow government guidelines to get subsities. Another company got the contract, and again I had a meeting. No change. Fruit juice is a fruit. Chocolate milk is a milk.

My kid sucked down sweetened chocolate milk. Repeated requests to limit my son's choices to whole milk was ignored.

Since starting school, my kids food choices have declined and its a constant battle . One I refuse to quit. I refuse to pay for school lunch so kids must pack a lunch: real whole fruit, nuts, chocolates, ind serving yogurts, jerky, cheese, and yes, sigh, peanut butter sandwhiches. Better, not perfect.

Along this journey I realized this town is very poor. High percent of subsidized housing, low teacher pay, poor school performance......will take more than one mother on a bandwagon.

We pulled our kids from the brick and mortar public school setting 4 years ago and they now do an online charter school option at home. Not having to deal with all the school parties and the lunch room situation has been nice. Now my kids just make their own lunch and know how to use the stove/oven etc. That's not why we changed schools but it's been a nice bonus
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 06:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Here in the US government got involved with cigarettes which included increaseing the age of purchase and increasing the tax dramatically resulting in a dramatic decrease in useage

The reality of cancer and emphysema resulted in dramatic decreased usage. While tax was levied, it didn't come close to the influence of the grim reality that many experienced with their smoking loved ones. Taxes have a very weird impact on the demand of an addictive substance, as addicts will simply pay the price increase. That the government took a stand to get an accurate message out on tobacco and health helped immensely. Still suffering consequences of smoking today with so many baby boomers suffering from COPD.

Edited to add: It's hard to compare tobacco with the prospect of identifying and supporting a healthy diet. We know one size does not fit all, and we have the various diet "camps" that swear their way of eating is the most healthy to the point of attempting to discredit the other camps who don't support their "correct" way of eating. There are so many underlying issues resulting in the allegiance to one camp or the other, that it's very confusing to the public. The contrary messages coming from acolytes for a particular way of eating coupled with current dietary guidelines serve to confuse and conflate. I wonder whether the topic of what constitutes healthy food can ever be settled. For many, it's become a religion. The message for tobacco was far easier, because the very negative outcomes became clear and obvious incentives for avoiding or quitting.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Wed, May-01-19 at 06:58.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 06:43

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I don't want the folks in government having any control over me and my choices. As I see it, they're the ones who got me so fat in the first place by telling me to eat low fat and to load up on healthy whole grains. I don't trust government clowns to do anything well except take more power for themselves.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 07:20

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
We pulled our kids from the brick and mortar public school setting 4 years ago and they now do an online charter school option at home. Not having to deal with all the school parties and the lunch room situation has been nice. Now my kids just make their own lunch and know how to use the stove/oven etc. That's not why we changed schools but it's been a nice bonus

Online charter was what my kids did and food was a HUGE reason for me. We did it from kindy and I knew I would homeschool from the beginning and a big reason was that people offered my kids junk food on a daily basis when they were little. They are teens now and don't always make the best choices but they eat a heck of a lot better than their friends. Their palate is just completely different. I don't think they've had fast food almost ever except when my mom would buy them fries at McDonald's when they were little. Their version of fast food is Halal spicy chicken, vegetables and rice from the street carts. I don't know how old your kids are but all of my kids are done cyber charter and its benefits are more and more apparent to me all the time as they get older and strike out more independently.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 08:26

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Online charter was what my kids did and food was a HUGE reason for me. We did it from kindy and I knew I would homeschool from the beginning and a big reason was that people offered my kids junk food on a daily basis when they were little. They are teens now and don't always make the best choices but they eat a heck of a lot better than their friends. Their palate is just completely different. I don't think they've had fast food almost ever except when my mom would buy them fries at McDonald's when they were little. Their version of fast food is Halal spicy chicken, vegetables and rice from the street carts. I don't know how old your kids are but all of my kids are done cyber charter and its benefits are more and more apparent to me all the time as they get older and strike out more independently.

I have a 5th grader, 6th grader and an 8th grader We were having a lot of issues with the traditional school setting, the online option has been a God send! Two of my kids have ADHD and one of those also has diagnosed anxiety. We had so many issues with bullying and also poor grades, due to a large group setting being horrible for them with their ADHD. We pulled them when we found out that my oldest daughter, who was finishing 3rd grade at the time, was reading at a 1st grade level and her teacher wasn't even concerned about it! It was so stressful/scary pulling them, but it's been one of the best decisions we've ever made. They're doing so much better now
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-01-19, 09:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
I have a 5th grader, 6th grader and an 8th grader We were having a lot of issues with the traditional school setting, the online option has been a God send! Two of my kids have ADHD and one of those also has diagnosed anxiety. We had so many issues with bullying and also poor grades, due to a large group setting being horrible for them with their ADHD. We pulled them when we found out that my oldest daughter, who was finishing 3rd grade at the time, was reading at a 1st grade level and her teacher wasn't even concerned about it! It was so stressful/scary pulling them, but it's been one of the best decisions we've ever made. They're doing so much better now

You won't regret it ever and you are a great mom for doing it because taking that plunge is not easy! Also, as they enter high school you will see more and more the benefits! Mine are 16, 14 and 12. The two older ones are going the nontraditional route for HS and completing an Associate's degree by graduation after going to traditional HS for two years. My oldest just turned 16 and already has about 40 college credits. That gives them that freedom of a college schedule for their final two years. Not sure what the 12 year old will do - probably the same. She is the only one who had issues with cyber and I did have to put her in traditional school in 5th grade. She really needed the structure and the reduced expectations due to severe learning anxiety. But she admits that she learned a lot more in cyber and is grateful that she did it - I think she would have had school anxiety no matter what. Cyber is perfect for ADHD! My kids don't have it but I used to give one of them quizzes orally while she did jumping jacks because she was able to concentrate better while moving.