Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 10:19

Plan: Atkins, Paleo, High Fat
Stats: 180/133.2/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 117%
Default Gluten-free fad raises concerns

From agjournalonline. I apologize for link only as I am having difficulty posting article. Please feel free to post article/text if you are able!

http://www.agjournalonline.com/news...concerns?zc_p=1
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 10:32
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Wheat growers see dark clouds on the horizon, and in this case it’s not a summer thunderstorm threatening a timely harvest. It’s a diet fad that, when combined with the hype of modern marketing, creates a recipe for trouble when it comes to long-term wheat demand.

“Flour consumption has not declined in total because the population is growing, but per capita it has declined,” said Glenda Mostek, communications and marketing director for Colorado Wheat and a member of the Wheat Foods Council, which oversees farmer-funded promotion of wheat-based foods.

In fact, according to one study by a market research firm in Chicago, sales of fresh bread declined 4.5 percent in 2011, a large drop for a single year. Meanwhile, the market for products free of gluten, the protein in wheat and other bread-making grains, has grown 30 percent since 2005 with no signs of slowing.

“It’s definitely one of those fad things,” said Sara Olsen, a wheat farmer from Yuma, Colo., and another representative of the Wheat Foods Council. She fears people are being lead to abandon common sense and risk developing lifelong eating problems and even physical deficiencies in the process.

Since the 1940s, the U.S. government has mandated that white bread be fortified with folic acid and other essential nutrients.

“When you travel to places like the Philippines, as I have, where they have health problems because they never had enhanced grains, you realize how blessed we are,” Olsen said.

Diet drawbacks

According to the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research, only about 7 percent of the U.S. population has a genuine gluten sensitivity, allergy or intolerance.

The most serious of these afflictions is celiac, a rare gastrointestinal disease that affects about 1 in 133 Americans — roughly 1 percent of the U.S. population — causing gluten to harm the intestinal tract.

Despite that relatively low percentage, gluten-free is clearly the new buzzword in food marketing.

Preventive cardiologist William Davis, of Milwaukee, exemplifies the backlash against wheat gluten. Davis invented a predicament he calls “wheat belly” and then wrote a best-selling book by the same name.

“Wheat is a perfectly crafted poison for humans,” he writes on his blog. He contends wheat contains an opiate that stimulates appetite and recommends replacing all wheat flour with things like ground nuts, garbanzo beans or coconut meat. “Lose the wheat,” he claims, “and lose the weight.”

The hype surrounding gluten-free as the latest celebrity diet is having an impact.

“It is very much an issue on people’s minds,” said Lois Illick, a family and consumer science extension agent for Colorado State University’s Pueblo office. Earlier this spring she offered an educational class on the topic in Pueblo, which attracted a wide variety of participants. “Some people actually have celiac disease. Others may have gluten sensitivity. Other people just think it’s a healthy way to eat. And quite honestly, it’s not.”

Celiac can develop suddenly and unexpectedly when triggered by a virus, she said. Fully 95 percent of celiac sufferers are believed to go undiagnosed, according to information compiled by CSU. Less than one-half of one percent of the adult population is believed to have a gluten allergy. Allergic reactions to wheat are common in children, but are often later outgrown.

By contrast, gluten sensitivities cause discomfort rather than intestinal damage, Illick explains. There is no reliable screening test for those.
“It’s hard for people to identify,” she said. “The best way is to eliminate gluten from their diet and then ask themselves if they feel better.”
Still, a gluten-free diet has a number of drawbacks, Illick said, starting with the fact that it is harder to get the full array of essential nutrients.

“You may be lacking in calcium or you may not be able to absorb it,” she said. “You may not be getting enough iron or Vitamin B-12. Those are found in wheat products, and they are important.”

Gluten-free breads are also more difficult to prepare. Replacing gluten with a substitute like guar gum, made from ground bean, is a “touchy process,” she notes.

Finally, gluten-free products tend to be more expensive. “It’s not a cheap way to go,” she said. “And for most people, it’s not necessary.”
So why is gluten-free eating becoming so widespread?

Illick believes that while celiac sufferers are diligent about seeking out good nutritional information to manage their condition, those with less serious symptoms tend to go online and adopt random nutritional theories they come across while browsing.

“That’s where I get worried,” she said.

For sound nutritional advice, she advocates looking to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s “my plate” graphic (online at www.choosemyplate.gov), a new variation on the old food pyramid that promotes a balanced “everything-in-moderation” approach.
“In that sense, we do eat too many carbs,” she said. “They are cheap, and they are easy.”

But swapping out one processed carbohydrate for another one — even if carries a gluten-free label — doesn’t translate to improved health.
“Everybody’s looking for the magic bullet, the thing that will solve every problem,” she said. “Our bodies are way too complicated for that.”

Getting back to basics

Kara Rowe, the outreach and affairs director for the Washington Association of Wheat Growers, confirmed many of those same observations after starting her blog My Wheat Belly, which chronicles her experience going gluten free and then adding gluten back into her diet over the span of a month.

“Part of the journey was to better understand what gluten-free diets are and what people with celiac disease go through on a day-to-day basis,” said the wife, mother and self-proclaimed “farm girl trying to make a difference” from her office in Spokane.

What she’s learned so far is that eating healthier foods on a daily basis is the real challenge.

“I feel no different off gluten as I do on gluten,” she said. “I have lost weight, just by limiting my calories.”

She’s come to the conclusion that the wheat belly approach — which goes beyond gluten to eliminate all refined cereals and pastries — is simply “a new spin on a low-carb diet.”

There is a bright side to all the negative media attention, she said.

The same trend that is potentially hurting wheat demand is creating new marketing opportunities for other commodities, including alternative grains like quinoa and sorghum, which is predominately marketed as a feed grain in the U.S. but is widely consumed as a human food in other parts of the world.

“We in agriculture tend to find silver linings in things,” she joked. “I noticed recently potato chip bags with the gluten-free sticker on them. We’ll jump at any opportunity.”

On a more serious note, her blog has offered a chance to “bridge the gap” with consumers, something she believes every agricultural producer needs to do.

Wheat advocates are being coaxed to tell their story and to gain a better understanding of the science behind the grain’s proud role in human history.

“I think every industry can do more on the nutritional value of our commodities,” she concluded. “We can never stop raising the bar on that.”

If you have never seen intentional propaganda before, now you have.

PJ
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 10:42

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 205/152/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

it amuses me that one person went off, and back on, gluten in a months time and decided that it didn't affect her at all. wonder how long she was actually off it before adding it back in and did she just stop eating bread?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 10:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
If you have never seen intentional propaganda before, now you have.

PJ

Yup! They should be very scared!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 11:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I think its a good article my entire family when off all grains for a few months because it fit in so well with the lc lifestye and we were hearing so much negative about gluten . We noticed no health changes either way during that time or when we started adding it back in a limited way. For people to say everyone should eliminate all guten is rediculous. That no different than saying because some people eat nuts and die they are poisen to everyone. I have a brother that if he eats a peanut he could die. None of his none of his kids have that allergy nore do any of his brothers or sisters yet for him its very real and life threatening. Everyone needs to use a little common sense if you think its problem for you get off it for a few weeks or months then add it back in and really pay attention to how it makes you personally feel. Don,t just jump on the band wagon that gluten is bad for everyone. This whole gluten things reminds me a awful lot of the all fats are bad folks a few years ago. You would think people should have learned a lesson or two from that mess but no now we have people out there preaching all gluten is bad for everyone. Same thing all over again just a different food group.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 11:07
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I wonder how much of the issue with wheat is how it is raised. I learned on Dr. Davis's blog they spray it with Round-up (herbicide) before harvesting to increase the yield.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 11:10
Every moment is NOW.

I ate gluten in nearly every meal of my life for 37 years and I would have said it had no effect on me whatever.

Until 37 years of "hidden issues" suddenly became "not so hidden issues" and I had acid reflux, asthma, allergies, acne, brain-fog, and so on.

Of course, it had not occurred to me at the time that adult obesity related to digestive issues might also be a symptom.

You don't have to break out in hives to have an issue with something. Sometimes people are just slightly more susceptible to colds, or have no visible issue whatever until years of damage internally finally gets so severe that the reaction hits some critical-mass trigger and becomes obvious.

PJ

PS At this point, given the crappy fertilizers, crappy insecticides, crappy herbicides, crappy soil, unripe-picked produce, GMO unique new proteins, etc. it's a miracle everything in the produce section isn't dangerous. Wheat is mostly an issue because (a) it's got a gazillion times more gluten protein than the grain everyone to our grandparents' generation grew up on, and (b) it's present in nearly everything, not just grain foods but spices and sauces and more. Many things in life are more about the dosage than the poison so to speak and the overdose of it is likely key for most people. Not just how much they eat in their foods but how much is present in the grain in those foods.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 11:47

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 180/170/145 Female 70
BF:
Progress: 29%

I do not know which part of that article to correct first.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 15:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Stanislaus Tanchou pointed an accusing finger at grains in the nineteenth century; but no one listened then, either.

I would have said I wasn't "gluten sensitive." After all, for over six years, I'd eaten low carb, and in maintenance the wheat products I ate all month would fill no more than a teacup. If I hadn't worn a pair of snug jeans the same day I brought my lunch in a low carb wrap, I might still be thinking that. But the combination of the two made me realize I did have a tummy bloat after this lunch.

It was only after ditching it entirely that I got better digestion, the "healing glow" from my torso for a couple of months, and then my arthritis started going away.

Only after I cut it off for months did I start realizing what had been going on.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 17:32

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
She fears people are being lead to abandon common sense and risk developing lifelong eating problems and even physical deficiencies in the process.

Since the 1940s, the U.S. government has mandated that white bread be fortified with folic acid and other essential nutrients.

“When you travel to places like the Philippines, as I have, where they have health problems because they never had enhanced grains, you realize how blessed we are,” Olsen said.

I'm making an assumption these people in the Philippines are impoverished and thus must rely mainly on cheap grains for subsistence, that they have no means to afford healtier foods like meat, a better source of physical deficiency preventing nutrients like iron and B12 than artificially enriched white bread. What's so common sense about consuming a food so poor in nutrients that it has to be enriched just to avoid health problems if you have enough money to buy anything else?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 17:35

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

To much of anyone thing is bad for you. We have tried to reasonably avoid chems. for years now and grow alot of our own food so going gluten free was easy we already eat very little of it. Again after several months off we had no reaction. It was lifechanging for my husbands neice but she grew up thinking fries were the only veggie she would eat so elimating any franken foods was a good move for her. I,m still trying to convince her lc isn,t the death star of all diets.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 17:48

Plan: Paleo/Atkins
Stats: 206/179/130 Female 5'5.5''
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I ate gluten in nearly every meal of my life for 37 years and I would have said it had no effect on me whatever.

Until 37 years of "hidden issues" suddenly became "not so hidden issues" and I had acid reflux, asthma, allergies, acne, brain-fog, and so on.

Of course, it had not occurred to me at the time that adult obesity related to digestive issues might also be a symptom.

You don't have to break out in hives to have an issue with something. Sometimes people are just slightly more susceptible to colds, or have no visible issue whatever until years of damage internally finally gets so severe that the reaction hits some critical-mass trigger and becomes obvious.

PJ

Yup. I wouldn't have thought gluten was a problem for me either. Until I stopped eating it and and a whole bunch of things resolved, including my balance. Plus I found out that it's not normal to have stomach ache! I had no idea that how I felt after eating *my entire life* was not actually normal.

Sure, it sucks for wheat growers and I were in that business, I'd be trying to discredit gluten free too. But I think there's an awful lot of evidence that gluten isn't good for us.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 18:37

Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Wheat advocates are being coaxed to tell their story and to gain a better understanding of the science behind the grain’s proud role in human history.
*headdesk* Oh, the poor little shy wheat advocates. Have fun with that science!

Where is that Captain Kirk facepalm picture when you need it?????
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 18:41
Every moment is NOW.

It's just a bunch of whiners hit in the pocketbook. The same megacorporations that own most of the farms nowdays also own farms that maybe can grow rice and surely can grow beans -- the meal of which tends to be used in the gluten-free stuff at like 5x the cost.

The worst food-days of my life:
1. Discovering I could never eat bread-ish stuff again without being fat and sick.
2. Discovering my body did not want me to eat cheese.
3. Discovering that I had a real 'reaction' to rice -- which is used in the gluten-free flours.
4. Discovering that even if I avoid 'em all I don't get lean and I feel crappy on mostly-meat.
It's like some nutritional version of a dark cloud that follows you everywhere LOL!

Realistically, unless I am buying from local farmers or local ranchers, the same ubercorps are still making money from me no matter WHAT I eat. Maybe some sister division that specializes in factory cows, chickens or eggs, instead of broccoli or bananas or whatever, but for the most part, the agri world that underlies the food world (that underlies the medical/pharma world all of which underlie the media world) is ruled by a fairly small number of corps if you go up far enough. They're going to make money off me whether I'm spending it on wheat, rice, chicken or broccoli.

Tomorrow a plumber finishes replacing all the duct work in the house. My water pressure is normal for the first time in over six years. That means next year I can go back to having a REAL garden (a BIG one -- here are some pics of the last time it was full size ) and now that I'm not VLC anymore I'm pretty excited about the number of things I can grow... and not be buying the crap in the store!

PJ
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-12, 20:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrygirl
*headdesk* Oh, the poor little shy wheat advocates. Have fun with that science!

Where is that Captain Kirk facepalm picture when you need it?????

I think you mean the Capt. Picard facepalm pic.