Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 07:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/206/140
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default stalled & gaining want to do meat fast

I have been on induction with atkins for about four weeks. Started at 214. Finally got down to 207 a couple weeks ago. Today I am at 209. I have been staying really low carb> I have never gone over 20 carbs, in fact I have stayed under 20.

I drink my water, although I admit I am not getting over 100 oz every single day. Most days I am though. I am at a new job and in training and yesterday I had to walk out of my class on 4 different occassions to use the bathroom, aside from breaks and lunch. I just cannot do this again today. My instructor even asked me to please wait until we had a break to leave.

At night I am up on average 4 times in the night to use the bathroom. My sleep is so interupted. I hate this.

Anyway my point is not really the water, I am going to try the meat fast. I am so close to just bagging this diet. I tried the fat fast and was far too hungry on that. My stomach growled all day and the reason I am on Atkins at all is because I don't just have a carb additiction, I am also addicted to food and when hungry I will eat. It is too hard to exist on cream cheese and nuts.

I want to try the meat fast starting this morning. I want to make sure I do this right. So I have a few questions.

1. Is this all meat (unprocessed) and nothing else except water. Can I use some butter with my steak or is that a no no.

2. If butter is okay. How much is okay.

3. Is there a limit on the meat I eat? Do I have to keep my calories low?

I appreciate any help here.

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-28-02, 08:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: stalled & gaining want to do meat fast

Quote:
Originally posted by loriL
My stomach growled all day and the reason I am on Atkins at all is because I don't just have a carb additiction, I am also addicted to food and when hungry I will eat. It is too hard to exist on cream cheese and nuts.

Lori, fat fasts and meat fasts are intended for the metabolically resistant who are having a tough time getting into ketosis. They are effective in that they force water from your fat cells and jump start the fat burning. They are to be used when you have been stalled or plateaued for 6 weeks - 6 weeks of no inches lost and no scale weight lost. You haven't been LCing for 6 weeks.

If a 2 lbs weight fluctuation is messing with your head then stay off the scales - visit them once a week or once a month. Accept that when you gained your fat it took time; and it wasnt always a straight forward upward climb. Losing it will also take time - and it wont always be a straight line down.

Slow loss means a greater likelihood of a sustained loss. Take the time to learn how to eat LC - give yourself the necessary tools that will ensure when you reach your goal you are equipped to maintain it.

And if you are hungry - EAT.

Nat
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 08:40

BF:

I am up another pound and a half. It is no where near TOM. Great, I am nearly back to my start weight.

Are you not going to answer my questions until I have waited the "mandatory" 6 weeks?

If so, I guess I will be back then.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by loriL
Are you not going to answer my questions until I have waited the "mandatory" 6 weeks?

If the meat fast is part of the Atkin's plan it should be described in the book - I have not read the book and can't direct you to the right page, perhaps someone else will be kind enough.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 09:36

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 143/131/121
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hi, loriL,

There's some info on this link. Worth reading.

http://www.lowcarbretreat.com/plateaus.html

Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:25

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka

If the meat fast is part of the Atkin's plan it should be described in the book - I have not read the book and can't direct you to the right page, perhaps someone else will be kind enough.

Nat

Nat there is no "meat fast" in Atkin's, at least not in my book. There is a fat fast though.

I think what Loril is wanting to do is go off Atkin's for a while.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:37

BF:

I have to get around to reading the damned book It's sitting on my kitchen table under a layer of drywall dust.

So there is no mention of a 'meat fast' (the irony of 'meat fast' isnt lost on me, either) - is there any mention of Stillman ?

N
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 10:42

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
So there is no mention of a 'meat fast' (the irony of 'meat fast' isnt lost on me, either) - is there any mention of Stillman ?

N

Nope. Not that I found. Just about 4 pages of how to do the fat fast. Just a brief mention of Stillman on page 25 of the yellow book saying it was labeled a "fad" diet when they first started.

So the "meat" fast has nothing to do with Atkin's.

LoriL you may check in the Stillman's forums for meat fast as that is the only place that may know about it.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 13:31
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default chill

Lori.
your message is so full of angst...I know just where you are coming from. the frustration, fear, anger...maybe I can help a little.
first you have lost 7 pounds, that is a huge success. you have chosen a sensible way of life, that can be very rewarding. but unfortunately it is not immediate . I know you read stories of dramatic weight loss over just a few months but those are not necessarily the norm. you have read atkins book, calling for a 2 week induction, yet you say you have been on induction for 4 weeks. why? plus you have already tried the fat fast, again why? are you trying to lose weight by a certain date? you must follow the plan as close as possible to start.
are you in ketosis?
why don't you list a days menu and maybe we can see what you might be doing and offer suggestions. ( food diary is very very helpful in finding the problem areas)
there are a couple of ways to handle the scale, first don't weigh, second weigh everyday and then at the end of the week divide by 7. this can keep you sane.
have you measured yourself yet? this can be very helpful, because you may be building muscle, which weighs twice as much as fat and tho the scale is showing a gain, your inches may be getting smaller, how are your clothes fitting? this is not a diet that you can measure by the same ruler as a low fat diet. every body will react differently. you will have to find your best way. this is not an all you can eat diet. after the first 2 weeks you must also watch portions, not to the same extent as low fat, but a pound of bacon will slow your weight loss down. what about salts, snack, cheeses?
finally, really examine yourself...ask some hard questions, give honest answers. are your goals realistic? are you setting yourself up for failure? remember, we have all been there, and we will help as much as you will let us, but there are somethings you must do for yourself, the most important, is chill out, relax, you will succeed at this if you believe in yourself. we do.
Jane
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 14:29

BF:

I appreciate the replies!

first you have lost 7 pounds, that is a huge success.

Actually it is now 3 pounds I have lost. I have gained back 4 pounds. I have not cheated. I eat only pure protein, (no processed meats like bacon or hotdogs), eggs, and fats. I cut out cheese because I thought that was stalling my diet. 3 pounds in a month is not a great loss. I am also drinking water, a lot of water!

I know you read stories of dramatic weight loss over just a few months but those are not necessarily the norm.

Yes, this is one of the reasons I am so frustrated. I see all these fantastic weight loss stories and I want that to be me!! I want to wear shorts again, I don't want it hurt when I bend over to tie my shoes etc..

you have read atkins book, calling for a 2 week induction, yet you say you have been on induction for 4 weeks. why?

Because the I read you can stay on the induction longer than 2 weeks, especially if you are resistant to losing weight.

plus you have already tried the fat fast, again why?

I could not stay on the fat fast. Too little food and I was hungry all the time.

are you trying to lose weight by a certain date?

Well I was hoping that by the end of May to have lost maybe 30 pounds. Which is about 4 months from when I began the diet, I began at the end of Jan, beginning of Feb. This equals out to less than 7 pounds a month which does not seem like to huge of a goal. It is only about 2 pounds a week aprox.

are you in ketosis?

Yes, I have been since day 3 of the diet.

why don't you list a days menu and maybe we can see what you might be doing and offer suggestions.

Good idea!

I can't really eat lunch at work so I eat either 3 eggs for breakfast Or a small-med piece of meat with some butter for flavor(steak or chicken usually)

When I get home I have another peice of meat. If that is my last meal of the day I make it a large serving or if I eat before I go to bed I make it a smaller serving. I, again, butter for flavoring. My salt intake may be a bit high, I will try to cut down.

I have not really added vegetables because, one I can't stand them (they make me gag) and two, I want to keep my carbs really low until that whoose thingee comes along.

there are a couple of ways to handle the scale, first don't weigh, second weigh everyday and then at the end of the week divide by 7. this can keep you sane.

Another great idea. I am currently scared to death of that stupid object.

have you measured yourself yet?

No, I have no. I will do that today.

because you may be building muscle, which weighs twice as much as fat...

I doubt it is muscle because I have not exersized. I am joining a gym next week.

how are your clothes fitting?

about the same.

are your goals realistic? are you setting yourself up for failure?

I think they are realistic. I really like this way of eating. I don't snack all day. I rarely crave the foods I don't need. I don't feel like a complusive eater any longer, for the first time in my life!

remember, we have all been there, and we will help as much as you will let us, but there are somethings you must do for yourself, the most important, is chill out, relax, you will succeed at this if you believe in yourself. we do.

Thank you so much Jane!!!!!

Sorry about the length of this post!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 16:40

Stats: 277/248/170 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I feel your frustration, as I am there to, and have enjoyed finding this site to talk with others in the same boat. If you are truly doing what you are saying, and in ketotis then the weight will come off, and I am trying to convince myself as much as you here!! I would recommend that you make sure you are eating enough, as the list of food you gave seemed fairly small. And even if you hate veggies, try to throw in a salad even if it is only lettuce, some grated cheese, bacon bits and dressing. I have found that I love raw brocilli, I didn't think that I did. ANd I don't like it cooked, but cut in fairly small peices on a salad is good. Try and stick with it, if you feel better. I really do feel better than I did when I wasn't lc, if you feel better resolve to give this until May 1, maybe even stay off the scale until then, make your decision about continuing at that time. Good luck with the gym as exercise will help I'm sure.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Mar-02-02, 19:38
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
I can't really eat lunch at work so I eat either 3 eggs for breakfast Or a small-med piece of meat with some butter for flavor(steak or chicken usually)

When I get home I have another peice of meat. If that is my last meal of the day I make it a large serving or if I eat before I go to bed I make it a smaller serving. I, again, butter for flavoring.

I think that what you eat is causing the problem you are experiencing. It doesn't even look like you are eating 1000 calories a day and you are in starvation mode. Your body is holding on to it's fat stores because it fears a famine coming on.

Are you drinking water? 64 oz. + 8 oz. for every 25 you wish to lose.

With low-carbing eating, less is not better.

These threads will give you more insight...

Fat and Keeping Calories Up

More on Fat and Keeping Calories Up

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 17:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default eat more!!

Karen, I don't think you are eating enough food girl. you need to eat at least 1200 calories a day and even 2000 is not uncommon. you are doing fantastic on not binging and not being compulsive about eating, but have you just exchanged one complusive behavior for another? years ago when I gave up smoking, I became addicted to hard candies, (I really didn't modify my behavior.) its great that the cravings and negative things are disappearing for you, just focus on how good you feel, how successful you are to stay lc and not use lack of immediate weight loss as an excuse to start eating wrong again. this way of life is a wonderful tool to learn self control. and you have already mastered that!!! be sure to drink your water, and sneak a veggie into your diet, are there none at all you can stand? what about the good old celery stick spread with a cream cheese dip? or maybe sliced cukes in a delicious sour cream sauce? remember your body needs those vitamins and also the fiber to umm pass things through your system (regularity is a good thing!!) top a sliver of romain with so much egg or tuna salad you can't see it. you need some carbs, if you can train yourself not to eat poison you can train yourself to choke down a veggie!! now, I may not be right in this but I have always understood that the human body will only lose x amount of fat a week (like 1-1/2 pounds) and anything else lost is muscle, water, etc. a loss of 5-6 pounds a month is perfectly acceptable. if you didn't lose a huge amount the first 2 weeks (10-14 lbs) then maybe you were not holding any water bloat to begin with? and then starving yourself puts your body in survival mode and it will continue to hold onto the weight or even gain. sucks don't it? don't fear, you can trick your body and figure it out, just give yourself time, after all this is forever, and by the end of summer those shorts you want to wear will be on sale!!! ( I wear shorts anyway...scroom)
best
Jane
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 13:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/150/140
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Regarding Stalled loss

Hellos Everyone,
Gosh, I feel your pain! I had been stalled (and had gained a few pounds) for over a week now and was just ready to give up LC'ing until I stepped on the scale this morning. I had lost two pounds. I felt relieved, because I like this way of eating. I too am guilty of not eating enough...because that's how I have ALWAYS lost weight and it's hard to retrain your brain and think "yeah, it's okay if I have more than 1000 calories today." So Lori, stick with it and try to find some time to eat lunch during your workday as was mentioned above. Good Luck to you...At least your not blindly gaining MORE weight and you are more aware of what you are eating (at least I am more aware). Hang in there!!!!!!!!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 13:17
Registered Member

Plan: GO-Diet
Stats: 164/133.4/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Loril,

I don't believe I read that you have artificial sweeteners, but I found out (using a blood glucose tester) that this is what has been causing my weight stalls. And yes, they are stalls (they last 1-2 months). I am temporarily giving up on Diet drinks and low carb sweet treats, at least until I get to my goal. I was in ketosis every day, but found out my insulin was being released when I drank my diet pop.