Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 13:05

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Looking for support

Hi, I started on a low-carb diet 1 Oct 2008 after my surgeon told me I had to lose 40 pounds before he would do some VERY necessary surgery. I have lost 24 pounds so far. I was limiting myself to 50 grams of carbs a day, but have cut that back because my appetite seems to decrease if I only have 10 to 25 grams a day. I just need to hear people counteracting the constant propaganda that is broadcast at us every day! I went on a low-carb diet years ago and I felt great, was doing well, but somehow I couldn't comprehend how much my body needed meat, and all the no-meat, low-fat messages had been so drilled into my head! In fact, when I told my PCP that the surgeon wanted me to lose 40 pounds, she wanted me to cut out all meat! I had learned that much, that without meat I just gained more and more weight, but I am now coming to understand how well I respond to fat. Give me enough fat, preferably saturated, and my appetite shrinks amazingly. If I have coffee with cream for breakfast, followed by bacon and eggs, I do well the rest of the day, no matter how exhausted or how much pain I am in. (My hypothyroidism was undiagnosed for decades and is finally being treated, I have finally been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I have infected hernia repair mesh in my abdomen which must be removed.) One of the nicest things about going low-carb is that my sleep has improved; I no longer wake up with hypoglycemia unable to return to sleep. I just want to read other people's success stories and hear some positive affirmation of my choices, especially when TV and magazines are so consistently committed to the opposite. (Plus my friends and acquaintances, many of whom have weight problems, look terrible, are diabetic, but slavishly follow their lowfat diets.)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 13:54

Plan: lc my way
Stats: 285/207.6/170 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hello and welcome. I have been doing this low carb since January 5th. I have lost 15 lbs so far. Have you read atkins or south beach? They are really insightful. I you look up the Schwarzibein principal thats here on this site you will find some info from the dr supporting the same thing you mentioned. Low fat leads to weight gain and insulin resistance and high blood pressure. I read it and found it very interesting. Very close to what I had thought and experienced myself. You will find some very helpful people here. Browse around, alot of questions you have probably have been answered at one point or another. Any way good luck and if your still not sure ask, you will get your answers
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi,

I've been LC'ing since April '08 and I've lost 26 lbs. I think my loss has been slower b/c I've done a lot of traveling in that time as well. It's so hard to do this while traveling -- not b/c I didn't order cautiously at restaurants but b/c you can't always predict what they put in the food, etc. Anyway, I feel 100% better...and I'm still losing. My husband was initially skeptical -- particularly b/c he is diabetic. Well, after seeing my success, he decided to give it a shot. Within a week he stopped taking all of his diabetes medications. It's been about 5 months that he's been LC'ing and he's lost over 30 lbs and feels fantastic! This isn't a temporary thing for us... This is it for us...
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 14:26
Rock'in Arizona!!!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 470/400/300 Male 6'7"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Welcome Tobysgirl, years ago before a gastric bypass surgery the Dr. put me on Atkins induction levels I dropped 80 pounds before the surgery, in less the 3 months. Best of luck in your up coming surgery.
The best thing I can tell you is there are a lot of great books out there now on LC and its benefits. Grab some and start reading. The major problem is the Doctors have been taught, low fat, low calorie (they where taught wrong), you know how well you feel and do on LC. Keep it up your doing great!
Best of luck and welcome to the forums...Bru
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-09, 15:34
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Welcome to the forums, Tobysgirl! It's very nice to meet you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 07:51

Plan: Metabolic Typing Diet
Stats: 287/259/180 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Thumbs up Thank you

Thank you for the greetings, and for the tip to read the SP stuff. I've had a glance and it looks very interesting. I am so lucky that I've never become insulin-resistant, but I've eaten very good quality food and supplements most of my life. I initially started low-carb after reading The Metabolic Typing Diet (which ranges from protein types through mixed types to carb types) and finding I was an extreme protein type. But as I said before, somehow I just couldn't believe I needed that much meat. Returning to low-carb now, I utilized Broda Barnes's Hypothyroidism, in which he writes about a diet developed in the 1930s for obese people (lots of fat!); The Diet Cure; and The Metabolic Typing Diet. I just ate my bacon and eggs and couldn't finish them, which is a much pleasanter feeling than wanting to eat the house! Where on the site can I find how to make those little weight gizmos you have at the end of your message? I look forward to being on this site; it really helps to hear the right stuff!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-09, 09:29

Plan: ProteinPowerLifePlan w/IF
Stats: 166/143/135 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobysgirl
Where on the site can I find how to make those little weight gizmos you have at the end of your message? I look forward to being on this site; it really helps to hear the right stuff!

Welcome!
Those little weight gizmos are actually not ON this site.
You can create one if you go to TickerFactory.com
Then, once you've created one, you copy the URL over and paste it to you .sig (which you can create under the "UserCP" tab of this site).