Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-18, 00:40
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 168/168/140 Female 63
BF:
Progress:
Default Aaaargh...I know, you've heard it all before.

No weight loss again. I really do not understand it. I have been on a steep learning curve since so many of you gave me more insight with your messages and support and after reading a lot I think this way of eating is probably better for me. For the last couple of days I have been without much appetite and have been unable to finish my food, but I have had plenty of energy, I assume this is because I have plenty of ketones.
I would happily continue with this even more meagre eating, namely half the amounts on induction, but for the fact that I had a migraine headache return, probably low blood sugar.
Stuck between a rock and a hard place now. Clearly my body is saying don't eat but it is also not giving up any fat. I am very concerned that if I start eating a bit more I will put on even more weight. The biggest problem though is the mystifying lack of weight loss. I would like to start eating an ounce of nuts for my breakfast but ... but...dare I try them ? It's been five weeks. Please tell me you have heard all this before.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 16:42

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Please tell me you have heard all this before.
Yes, we have. But that isn't very helpful for YOU, is it? I'm sorry you are feeling discouraged. Each and every one of us wants a reward for our sincere efforts, and your feelings are completely understandable.

Quote:
I think this way of eating is probably better for me.
This is the mindset you can focus on. I don't know what you were eating "before," but low-carb eating is healthy for the long run, no matter what you weigh. Many good things happen in your body that aren't measured by a scale.

If you haven't already consulted the excellent website Diet Doctor take a look. It's free. It's encouraging. It's fun to read.

One more suggestion: many of us have spent years of our lives measuring quantities of food: by the cupful, the "deck of cards," the grams on a food scale, and most of all, the calories. Now you get to stop doing that. Even the advice, "Eat when hungry, and only when hungry" pretty much fails when you aren't actually hungry EVER because of low-carb effects. Don't try to speed things up by eating less food, by whatever measure you're accustomed to. Eat what you like. Eat pleasantly. That creates a sustainable plan for the long term.

So, determine a pattern of eating that suits you. Breakfast. Or not. Lunch. Or not. Snacks. Or not. etc. Just be sure that everything you eat fits into the low-carb plan you have chosen. Then stop worrying. Your body will figure it out eventually. But you might not see it on the scales for a while because, well, that's not really the bottom line.

Best wishes.

Last edited by bkloots : Fri, Jun-22-18 at 16:51.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 17:40
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Maybe it's just time to put the scale away for a while?
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 18:02

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Did your inches stay the same? During induction I stayed steady weight-wise but lost some at the waist.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 18:13

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Maybe you could start a journa l and record everything you eat and what time. Maybe WE can see possible hiccups that you cannot see.

I had to drop a meal and eat only 2 meals a day to drop weight.

Maybe there is a specific food that you regularly eat that is a problem----
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 03:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you, all of you. I have begun to settle down with it and I am going to ignore the scales for a while. I am feeling good on this diet and I am experiencing a number of benefits. One thing which is slightly detrimental is that when I first start any exercise, walking for instance, I feel weak, dragging my legs, but if I keep going the weakness subsides and I'm O.K. Is this a normal thing, it bothers me a bit.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 06:22

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Is this a normal thing, it bothers me a bit.
Do whatever is comfortable for you. Sounds like the initial heaviness wears off, and then you're fine. "Normal" is not a helpful word, unless you're measuring, say, blood pressure. Carry on.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 10:12

Plan: DDF, Fung
Stats: 247/209/199 Female 66.5"
BF:kickin it
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester
Thank you, all of you. I have begun to settle down with it and I am going to ignore the scales for a while. I am feeling good on this diet and I am experiencing a number of benefits. One thing which is slightly detrimental is that when I first start any exercise, walking for instance, I feel weak, dragging my legs, but if I keep going the weakness subsides and I'm O.K. Is this a normal thing, it bothers me a bit.

This happened to me as well. When I researched a bit, (in my Protein Power book) it said that my potassium levels could be low. I would get cramps in my muscles, especially walking up stairs. Added a potassium pill and it was taken care of, just 90 mg solved my problem. (you pee out alot of the minerals in the beginning of this plan) But check with your doctor if you're taking any blood pressure medication, because taking potassium with them could cause serious problems.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 14:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leicester

Sounds like you are still adapting to this way of eating. Also, do you get a teaspoon of salt a day? Thats the minimum. I also supplement with the other minerals like potassium and magnesium, too. Are you drinking enough??
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-18, 21:41
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Stalls are normal. I was stuck at 208 for months, Started IF one Winter and lost a stone.

About the only nuts I can eat and not gain are almonds or macadamia in moderation -- peanuts are NOT a nut. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds are OK too.

You can check BG with one of the cheap meters out there. Mine was $9 and test strips are $12 for 50. Like a cheap printer the Ink is what costs.

Last edited by mike_d : Sat, Jun-23-18 at 21:47.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 02:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Another good site for information is Dr. Eric Berg's Youtube channel. He talks about everything you are here...and he's got solutions.

It will encourage you greatly.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 03:16
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

As usual a plethora of advice from you all. I'm off to do some more reading. Thankyou very much.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 07:36

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Stalls are normal. I was stuck at 208 for months, Started IF one Winter and lost a stone.

About the only nuts I can eat and not gain are almonds or macadamia in moderation -- peanuts are NOT a nut. Sunflower or pumpkin seeds are OK too.

You can check BG with one of the cheap meters out there. Mine was $9 and test strips are $12 for 50. Like a cheap printer the Ink is what costs.

Adding to Mikes great advice-----

glucose meters have come down a lot-- I used to pay $50 a month for strips when monitoring gestational diabetes--

Also try raw nuts, as roasted have a greater negative impact, according to Phinge who experimented some years ago. Cashews are only roasted, for food safety.

Nuts and cheese I struggle with. Cannot eat just a little as in stay with in the rules. I do better if nuts are included in say a salad, or on a plate with a meal rather than a snack. Same with cheese. By itself I can eat 8 oz cheese and love every bite.

This is a learning process--- Im still learning and I have been on this journey for 18 years.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 08:56
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I suppose I am fortunate. I never have any problems keeping control of nuts or cheese and never have. My downfall is always cakes, puddings and biscuits...oh and cream, got to watch that one. Having said all that if I found that I desperately want a pudding ( not so far), I will indulge in some kind of cream cheese and cream cheesecake. You are all so helpful. (nearly put a kiss there !)
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-18, 10:23

BF:

We make a LC pudding---1 soft tofu, 2T cocoa, 2 c whipping cream,1 box sugar free chocolate pudding mix. ANd a little coffee crystals, 1t vanilla and a liquid like almond milk, or water , or liquid from the tofu, to be the consistency we like.

NOT calorie free, and not carb free, but an elegant pudding and tasted pretty good as my kids dive in and hog it.