Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 06:58

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Personal Fat Threshold Model of Insulin Resistance, Diabetes and Obesity

Marty Kendall recently updated his most helpful explanations of the adipose-centric theory of diabesity. A small group of us has been sharing all this information on the threads about Dr Ted Naiman and Marty Kendall over the past two years, but they are somewhat lost in the "semi-low carb" forum. Since this model is the alternate explanation to the Low Carb favorite, the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model, it may be useful to share it in the research forum where more can see these articles. Both are still models, but as Dr. Naiman says about the Carbohydrate-Insulin Model...then you have to explain all the "black swans" around the planet, e.g. the populations who have stayed lean and free of diabetes on low fat, high carb (until recently).

After learning this alternate theory to the Low Carb approach, I reached an ideal body weight in 15 months and have maintained it since. Details of the adjustments to my lower carb food list are in my success story and comments on it.

Quote:
The carbohydrate-insulin model of obesity suggests that people who consume too much refined carbohydrate get fat because carbs increase insulin body, and insulin makes your body store energy.

So, based on this insulin-centric theory of obesity, to reverse diabetes, you eat fewer carbohydrates to lose fat and alleviate symptoms of diabetes.

Dietary fat gets a free pass because fat doesn’t raise insulin.~ The attractive simplicity of the carbohydrate-insulin model has led to people adopting keto, with many books about insulin resistance recommending a ketogenic approach for weight loss. As you will see, while a lower-carb diet can be helpful for many, it’s not because carbs are the only thing that raises insulin in your body.
The adipose centric model of diabetes is more helpful in assisting us in understanding what is going on and how to get the results we want.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/ted...ned/#more-10626

Quote:
The Real Reason Why You’re Insulin Resistant and The Macros to Reverse It

The central tenant of the Carbohydrate-Insulin Hypothesis of Obesity~is that we can control our insulin by simply reducing our carbohydrate intake, as if that’s the only thing that affects insulin. Although many of us think we would like to turn off our insulin to lose weight, it unfortunately doesn’t work that way if you’re part of the 99.5% of the population with a working pancreas and not injecting insulin.

In the absence of exogenous injected insulin, your pancreas produces just enough insulin to keep your energy locked away while new energy is coming in through your mouth.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...e-your-insulin/

Quote:
Oxidative Priority: The Key to Unlocking Your Body Fat Stores

To help you optimise your fat loss journey, this article will teach you everything you need to know about oxidative priority (the order in which you tend to burn the fuels available to your body).

Unfortunately, because your body loves to store it, your body fat is last in line to be used. However, by intelligently managing the upstream fuels — like carbs, fat and alcohol — and giving your body what it needs, you can ensure your unwanted body fat is used sooner rather than later.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/oxi...oss/#more-20282

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-27-22 at 10:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-27-22, 09:40

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I'm thinking this may have something to do with "dawn phenomenon" - just a guess - when I was eating really low carbs (~20g) and lots of fat I still had "high" blood glucose in the morning when I was measuring it.

Now I have gained some fat back since I was at a low weight in 2017 and my waking BG is still kind of high (high 90's)

I'm really going to take the long road and work on prioritizing protien and cutting back on the amount of fat I consume (butter, fatty meat cuts, cheese, etc) and see what happens in a year or more as I work my way down to a BMI "normal" target for my sex and height - If BMI doesn't cooperate, i'll then test with DEXA to shoot for ~15% body fat and see where my blood glucose readings in the morning are at.

I think I have a pretty HIGH personal fat threshold as when I was at my heaviest my BG was not into the diabetic range... yet. That was over 100lbs of body weight ago.

My target (82Kg) will put my at about 1/2 the body weight of my highest weight recorded.

I don't dismiss the Carb/Insulin hypnosis entirely but I know from experience that I can maintain and gain weight and probably not eat nutritionally optimized by focusing on fat and avoiding all carbs.

Anyway - it's a pleasure to be alive today and not dead from being fat and sick - no matter how I got here. I appreciate you guys traveling along, exploring all of these promising paths to health.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-28-22, 07:04

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

It's always intriguing to see new research and modeling on the complex problem of obesity. The Carbohydrate-Insulin experiment has produced excellent results for many, many people ever since Atkins. Clearly, there's more to be learned, and more ways to "thin a cat" that science is still exploring.

My very simple practice "Don't eat carbs" segued into "Eat sufficient protein"--with the side-effect "Not a lot of fat."

My friends still think it's heroic to never eat sugar (in any form) or bread (in any form). But I rarely think of my way of eating as deprivation.

Guess that's the key.

Thanks for sharing additional topics of study!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-28-22, 08:33

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

❤️ "ways to thin a cat"!

The first few pages on the Optimising Nutrition blog today have a number of these updates to older posts. It includes a Mythbusters article with the dynamic duo photoshopped busting the top 10 Nutrition Myths. https://optimisingnutrition.com/blog/
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-29-22, 09:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good comments. Interesting that despite various ways of viewing healthy eating and the evolution of names for healthy eating approaches (models), it's still essential for me to control the types and volume of the carbs I eat. Adding an optimum (for me) amount of protein helps to better manage the carbs and fats I consume. I've learned to not be obsessed with either, as a reasonable amount of fat consumed with my protein is certainly healthy. However, eating fat solely to improve satiety never worked for me.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-30-22, 07:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Mythbusters link - reading it now - funny graphic however i'm not sure who the guy holding the cleaver is...

https://optimisingnutrition.com/nut...l-myth-busting/

The ten popular myths we’ll be tackling in this article are:

1 - Dietary cholesterol is bad for you.
2 - Saturated fat is a ‘bad’ fat.
3 - Polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats are ‘good’ fats.
4 - Fat does not make you fat.
5 - Carbohydrates make you fat.
6 - Calories don’t count.
7 - Salt is bad for you.
8 - Sugar is public enemy #1.
9 - Red meat and eggs are bad for you.
10 - Macronutrient percentages matter.