Here's an updated recipe in text format and PDF format.
6 medium Russet potatoes
6 celery stalks
1 bu. parsley
1 med. parsnip
2 med. carrots
14 C. water
ginger root, 5 1-in. slices
Italian seasonings blend (opt.)
6-qt. pot w/ cover
skimmer or other tool to remove vegetables from broth
conical mesh strainer
canning jars, 24 oz (3)
1. Measure water into pot, then cover. Bring water to a boil.
2. While water heats up, wash produce gently. (Hard scrubbing removes minerals found in the vegetables' skins).
3. Peel potatoes to a depth of 1/8 in. Set potato bodies aside for other use, or discard them.
4. Cut other vegetables in half, so they will fit into the pot.
5. When water boils, put all veggies (except potato bodies) and seasoning into the water.
6. Bring broth to a boil, with the lid on, again, then simmer, with the lid on, for 1.5 hrs.
7. Add the ginger slices; then continue simmering with the lid on, for 30 min.
8. Remove large vegetable matter, then allow small vegetable matter to settle for 5 minutes with the lid on.
9. Insert canning funnel into neck of canning jar, then rest strainer inside the funnel.
10. Ladle into canning jars (fill to neck). This will allow you to use expose smaller portions of the broth to airborne bacteria for less time, preventing premature spoiling. To get the last of the broth, pour it through the mesh strainer.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Protein: 0 g
Fat: 1.0 g
Sodium: 21.5 mg.
Potassium: 771.6 mg.
Calcium 98.9 mg.
Magnesium: 59.0 mg.
Drink 2-4 cups daily, spread out over the day. Each cup contains approximately 750 mg. potassium, and the average body needs 2mg. of potassium for every calorie of food consumed for optimal muscle function and electrolyte balance.
Don’t be concerned with taking in this much potassium at once from food. Murray's Encyclopedia of Nutritional Supplements
says that although potassium salts can cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and ulcers when given in pill
form at high doses, these effects do not occur “when potassium levels are increased through diet alone
.” (emphasis mine). Therefore, the best course is to use foods or food-based potassium supplements to meet the human body's high potassium requirements.”
Notes: Using organic ingredients will increase the potassium content to approximately 1100 mg./cup. Using 1 qt. of cooking water from boiled spinach will boost the potassium content further.
Magnesium carries potassium into the cells. Take a magnesium supplment (chelated form, e.g., citrate, malate), or eat high-magnesium foods (http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodco...nk/wt_rank.html
) within an hour of drinking the broth.