Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 07:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/168/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Hello. Looking for some UK-based advice please.

Hello, I restarted Atkins yesterday so need all the help I can get today!
I'm in the UK and would be really grateful for any links to sites that list carbs in foods? I have found a few but they seem to be mostly US-based.

Hope everyone that reads this is doing well. I'm only on day 2 but am determined to lose that extra weight that's been dragging me down for the last few years....good luck
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 07:55

Stats: 172/153/140 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 59%

Just on another subject, we have the exact same weight stats. I thought that was funny. I live in US so I can't help you with your question, but I have a carb counting app on my iPod touch that has more British food than American in it, and it drives me nuts Nice to meet you!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 11:02
Registered Member

Plan: LC + IF
Stats: 207/199/175 Male 186
BF:
Progress: 25%

Welcome. I'm new here too!

I'm not in the US, but I find that nutritiondata.com is an excellent source of info. Obviously the pre-packaged stuff is useless, but info about general foods is good, you can change the units to 100g etc too.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-29-10, 11:55

Plan: Vegetarian LC
Stats: 148/137/132 Female 5.4
BF:
Progress: 69%

#5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 06:59

BF:

Thanks to everyone that's responded, I really appreciate it.
Thanks Shyvas for those links; I will spend some time looking at those today.

Nurselisa: what a coincidence! Would you be interested in keeping in touch to give each other some moral support?

Thanks again
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-10, 08:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirlpool
Thanks to everyone that's responded, I really appreciate it.
Thanks Shyvas for those links; I will spend some time looking at those today.

Nurselisa: what a coincidence! Would you be interested in keeping in touch to give each other some moral support?

Thanks again

Yes, I would! But you lost 3 more pounds, my scale hasn't budged. I am exercising a lot, and I think I'm eating too much sodium. Give me some inspiration, please
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 03:19

BF:

Hi nurselisa, sorry it took so long to reply but my broadband suddenly died!
I've drank a lot of water in the first three days; more than I did on my last attempts and I know that really works. I haven't exercised at all to be honest but I intend to restart swimming in the next few weeks when things calm down and I get a chance.
I think I may have mistakenly gone over my carb limit yesterday as I mis-calculated something and now I'm a little frustrated as it probably means the weight loss will stall for the next few days!

I've also been eating some vegetarian alternatives as I can't face tons and tons of meat and eggs all the time. It seems to work just fine though as along as I stay within the 20 carbs a day limit, and it works for me!

How are you doing today? Any loss as yet? I know there are loads of people who don't see any loss in weight (but they do in inches) for the first few days.

I also noticed that I can use splenda and still use but I can't have diet coke or anything similar, another thing that may be a problem?

Hope you're having a good day
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 03:22

BF:

ps: my stats are wrong, I've just realised! It should read 168 and not 161!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-03-10, 11:35

Plan: atkinsish
Stats: 225.0/220.0/160.0 Female 5ft 7in
BF:33%
Progress: 8%

hello whirlpool! i find the internet site lowcarbmegastore.com is fab, but be carefull in induction some of the food on that site is so tempting!! if you think its to good to be true eating it, it probably is lol i find the ketosis testing strips great. good luck
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-09-10, 18:39

BF:

Whirlpool- You need to start a journal so I can stop in and say "hey" and read how you are doing. I am doing good, lost a pound the other day and down to 163, but "Aunt Flo" came to town early, so I am staying off the scale until after she leaves. Had a couple days where I was losing my motivation and getting discouraged, but I did not cheat, and I am really enjoying all of the options available to me- had a broiled steak with butter and pan fried hericot vert in bacon drippings for dinner. The whole fam loved it, but DH finished his off with a package of skittles after, despite my warnings about sugar causing the insulin overproduction and the fat to harden to the arteries. I just bought him some high percentage dark chocolate for valentine's day, so he would be much better with that than skittles. I am starting to have a taste for really rich, and luxurious eating, where as I was an empty carber before. Anyhow- I am rambling, but stop by my journal and please make one yourself so I can keep up with you! We can do this! How has it been going for you?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-26-10, 12:38

Plan: dirty carnivore..yeah
Stats: 203/170/160 Female 70inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

MyPLan... look at the bar at the top of the page
FitDay....google it
Look on the labels of the things you're buying....everything has to have it all on the label by law
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-06-10, 08:06

Plan: LCarb
Stats: 200/173/124 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Medhelp - great for tracking your stats and free!
sugarfreesheila - best LC website out there!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-10, 12:21

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 210/160/160 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi whirlpool

As you can see from my profile I am UK based. Lowcarbing is a doddle, but like everything else in this life, you have to put in a bit of effort. Dump all the factory produced man made crap food. Base your diet around fresh and frozen vegetables. Add the meat and fish. Cheese, cream and butter will do you no harm. The way to control weight whether you are a diabetic or not is insulin control. The less the carb intake, the less the insulin response. It is impossible to gain weight without insulin. Injected or natural.

All the best, Eddie