Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 18:43

Plan: Atkins 72'
Stats: 329.4/254.0/179.4 Female 5'10"
BF:hmm..too much ;)
Progress: 50%
Default Wonderful Report from My Dr. and a New Milestone

Hello Everyone,

My friend Ken encouraged me to post my journal entry today here in Milestones. I truly hope this helps anyone considering Low Carb. It has changed my life, and it has probably has lengthened it. So here goes...(fair warning, long post)

This has been a HUGE day for me!! In a good way, not a bad weigh.

First I'm in a new decade...279.6 mini-goal met. On to the 260's!!
And I'm .2 from losing 50 pounds!

I had two doc appointments today. The first one was with my PC. Here is what happened:

Of course, first I saw the nurse for weigh in, blood pressure, fbs, and A1C. The nurse kept saying she has never been so amazed at anyone's 3 month checkup! She hugged me and wanted to know what I had been doing. Of course I told her.
The A1C wasn't quite ready when I was taken to the exam room to wait for the DR to see me. She closed the door and a few seconds later...I hear yelling, "Oh my God!!, Oh my God!! Can you believe this!!" Not even exaggerating.
The Dr. opened the door and just stood there, shaking her head in disbelief, and grinning. She asked me to stand up. I did...and she hugged me. (This is not a normal practice for her btw.)
When she pulled back she had tears in her eyes. (So did I) We both sat down and she asked me how I had done this in just 3 months. I explained that she had basically scared the crap out of me; (by handing me the living will, and then telling me my family will need it, if I continued to abuse my body this way),
She said, "Well, I'm really sorry I scared you."
I said, "I'm not, it is what I needed."
Then she said, "Not only is your weight loss just unbelievable, but your A1C is 5.3; and that is just unheard of! Never, in all my year's of practice, have I had a patient, that not only listened to me, but came back with these amazing results! You don't know how happy you have made me. I am so proud of you. Now, please, tell me exactly what you have done. Because this doesn't happen with just medicine. (You're darn tootin' it doesn't, is what I was thinking )
So, of course I told her, "I am a Dr. Atkins Low Carb Lifer." And I preceded to give her my meals, what I absolutely will never eat again, and what exercise I have been able to do. (Of course I haven't done as much as I wanted because of wound care doc's request.)
I told her there is a whole forum full of success stories, support, and cheerleading. I also told her the ADA is not doing diabetics any favors with what they are suggesting as a "diet". I said, "I, and thousands of others have been able to not only lose weight, but bring down their A1C, cholesterol, and bp levels. And so many are maintaining these low numbers, years later. All of this was accomplished, not by meds, not by surgery, not by following the ADA, not by eating the SAD way, and certainly not by following the "food pyramid"...but by getting rid of all sugar, grains, and processed foods. Yes...I was on a roll. I had the ear of a doctor, who is not only a pc, but specializes in treating diabetics...for 40 minutes; I was not going to waste it.

These are my numbers from 7/10 appt. and todays:

Here are the results:

Appt. on 07/10/15: weight: 329.4 FBS: 255 A1C: 10.4 BP: 175/105
Appt. on 10/13/15: weight: 279.6 FBS: 113 A1C: 05.3 BP: 139/84

No re-test for Cholesterol though, since she didn't think it is a problem for me.

And now for the second Doc trip. He again stressed how proud of me he has been, and...HE...brought up Low Carb, we had talked about that in an earlier appt. So while he was examining my toe, I told him the results from my PC. He high fived me. Again saying he was so proud of me, and then asked me which low carb was I following. So there me and my big mouth go again spouting my love of low carb and eating the way we do. I also told him it is not my diet, it is my WOL. I gave him the information on how to get to this forum and he took it down. The nurse then asked for the note to copy for herself. Now drum roll please...I was released!! I can now be free to swim and exercise as much as I want. As I was leaving a got a hug from the doc and nurse (I have never had so much love from the medical community )
This day has been almost overwhelming...I have not one, but two doctors that sincerely want to learn about low carb, and their nurses too! If they end up helping even one patient turn around his/her life...it will all be so worth it.

To celebrate Hubby took me to the Pier at 2nd Ave...we ate, (of course I ate lc), and walked the pier, enjoying the sun, sand, and sea. Then we got into our convertible, turned up the radio, blasting 70's rock and beach music, and cruised Ocean Blvd. This has got to be one of my best day's ever!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 18:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

How wonderful, Tam! I'm so happy for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 19:35

Thank you Rose.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 19:45
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Amazing!
My new PC was amazed at my numbers this last time, wait till I go back for the 3 month after mainly all meat. They didn't ask how I was doing it though.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 19:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about what I just read. I was a nurse, and I've worked with a lot of people to help them lose weight.

To know that someone has made an improvement in their health, ON THEIR OWN is so gratifying to a medical professional. Really, it is. Doctors and other caregivers are doing what they do because they care about people, but they get garbage in, for how to eat, and they spew garbage out, the same stuff. And their patients get sicker, rather than healthier.

Imagine what an impact YOU will have on the health of other people, now, Tam. Oh, so happy for you!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 20:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Amazing!
My new PC was amazed at my numbers this last time, wait till I go back for the 3 month after mainly all meat. They didn't ask how I was doing it though.

Maybe you should volunteer it. Your numbers should be amazing. Look forward to hearing what they are.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 20:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiSue
I'm getting teary eyed just thinking about what I just read. I was a nurse, and I've worked with a lot of people to help them lose weight.

To know that someone has made an improvement in their health, ON THEIR OWN is so gratifying to a medical professional. Really, it is. Doctors and other caregivers are doing what they do because they care about people, but they get garbage in, for how to eat, and they spew garbage out, the same stuff. And their patients get sicker, rather than healthier.

Imagine what an impact YOU will have on the health of other people, now, Tam. Oh, so happy for you!

Thank you MickiSue!

It has been one of those days for tears...me, my doc, and now you...but you know what the good thing is about it...they are tears of happiness.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-13-15, 23:09

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Congratulations, Tam. I love that you were able to experience this!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 04:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

way to go, Tam!

Hugs are great but having the doctors ask you what you did...Priceless.
And a priceless opportunity for you to spread the word about LC.

Be sure they see Dr Hallberg's TEDTalk.
http://youtu.be/da1vvigy5tQ

And Learn about Dr Westman's clinic. Some doctors come in to spend the day with him, and if they do it on the first Tuesday of the month, come to the Durham NC support group too.
https://www.dukemedicine.org/find-d...-westman-md-mhs. He has the lifestyle clinic at Duke and a new HealClinic too: http://healclinics.com

Also Dr Hallberg's website and FB page...her Friday tutor sessions have been excellent:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=468458

ps: btw, Dr Westman's reward for losing 50 pounds is that he plays a favorite song on the piano that is in the clinic! And his staff sings along! Your doctors needs to beat that.

Cruzin' Ocean Boulevard with the top down was the first of many celebrations! Were you listening to the Tams or the Drifters? I have playlists of all the classic beach music songs for those trips to MB.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-14-15 at 04:51.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 04:41

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Great results Tam!

Jean
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 04:59
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

HUGE HUGE Congrats, dear Tam!

Wishing you continued success on your journey to a Healthier YOU!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 07:31
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

That's a fabulous a milestone and huge congrats to you!!

Good job, Tam!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 08:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

What a wonderful story! Teaching doctors who actually listen? Wow! That is a rare experience. Treasure it! You've done very well. :-)
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 09:46

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Congratulations Tam, what an incentive to continue this way of live. It is because of stories like yours I am on this forum every day. It gives me courage to follow this WOL. .
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-14-15, 09:49
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I didn't get a hug or a high-five from my doctor. But she does smile a lot. Great milestone, Tam. I look forward to hearing about the results of your next doctor visit. I know you will knock that one out of the park, too.