Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#256   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 10:02

Plan: IBS Diet/Intuitive Eating
Stats: 321/194.2/199 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
Interesting. There is about 1% variation in sugar content in between grades. It's not much, that's probably why on the french (Québec) web site, they said it was the same.

Patrick

Yes, the sugar content is about the same. It is the ratio of glucose to fructose that varies significantly between the grades.

Cathy
Sponsored Links
  #257   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 10:40

Plan: quasi paleo + starch
Stats: 153/148/118 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
Yes, the sugar content is about the same. It is the ratio of glucose to fructose that varies significantly between the grades.

Cathy

Anybody have any idea precisely what should I look for on the label to attempt to find the highest glucose - lowest fructose type of maple syrup?
  #258   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 10:57

BF:

According to the study I posted the link to, "Fancy" and "Grade A Dark" have the highest percentage of glucose compared to fructose. I don't know where you find "Fancy". I buy my maple syrup at Sam's Club and they carry Grade A Dark syrup. The grade can be found on the label of all 100% maple syrups.

Cathy
  #259   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 11:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy B.
According to the study I posted the link to, "Fancy" and "Grade A Dark" have the highest percentage of glucose compared to fructose. I don't know where you find "Fancy". I buy my maple syrup at Sam's Club and they carry Grade A Dark syrup. The grade can be found on the label of all 100% maple syrups.

Cathy

Thanks MUCH -- I will be very interested in checking this out -- I'm curious if in the past, when I did eat syrup, if that was the type I purchased -- the Dark Grade A fancy version. I do know that as a child I never liked pancakes at all, because of how they made me feel, and the name brand sugar syrups - I didn't like the taste.
As an adult, after tasting pure maple syrup, I started purchasing it, every once in a while...
  #260   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-09, 12:51

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Thanks for the link, Cathy! I suspected that there was a variation, but that maybe it wasn't well known. We used to get Grade B because it had a stronger flavor, but it looks like part of that flavor came from higher fructose. Oh well.

I always loved pancakes, but eating them always made me feel lousy.

Here's the data from the PDF. I left out some of the statistical information to make it more readable:
Grade %Fructose %Glucose %Sucrose %Total sugars %Total invert Glucose:Fructose
Fancy 0.1 0.7 65.9 66.8 0.9 5.6
A Medium 0.7 0.6 65.1 66.3 1.2 3.1
A Dark 0.3 0.7 66.2 67.2 1.0 5.3
B 0.5 0.4 67.1 67.9 0.9 2.9
Comm. 8 0.6 0.6 65.4 66 5 1.1 1.5

Curious that Grade A Medium has more fructose than either Fancy or Grade A Dark. It makes me wonder whether the result would be the same if the test were repeated. If I get maple syrup, I think I will look for Fancy grade.
  #261   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 07:06

BF:

Fresh Take on Fructose vs. Glucose
LC Research/Media Forum
Active Low-Carber Forums

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=394811
  #262   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 08:21

BF:

Recipe Collection from the University of Iowa Virtual Hospital

Including one for Maple Syrup SUBSTITUTE

http://www.uihealthcare.com/topics/...fi/recipes.html
  #263   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 10:34

BF:

Several weeks ago, I came across a recipe for a fructose-FREE sports drink, which I think was posted on a site for Hereditary Fructose Intolerance.

However, I could be mistaken about what kind of website it was on.

Anyway, I've been searching for hours now, and cannot locate the first recipe I found for an entirely fructose free sports drink.

Among the ingredients that I remember would be:

sugar free koolaid
dextrose
morton's lite salt

Anyway, during my searches I learned that although Gatorade uses High Fructose Corn Syrup in their ready made bottled sports drinks, that it is NOT an ingredient in the POWDERED GATORADE.

However, powdered gatorade still would have substantial fructose in it, because the frist listed ingredient is sugar:

Gatorade 03937 2.12 Oz. Orange Instant Powder Mix Makes 1 Quart

Ingredients: Sucrose, Dextrose, Citric Acid, Salt, Sodium Citrate, Natural Orange Flavor with Other Natural Flavors, Monopotassium Phosphate, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Yellow 6.

https://secure.indextools.com/itr.p...868267742&js=no
  #264   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 15:30

BF:
Default Corn Syrup contains either HFCS or else molasses, which contains fructose

FROM THE KARO WEBSITE:

Karo® Light Corn Syrup

Ingredients: Light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla.

Karo® Dark Corn Syrup

Ingredients: Dark corn syrup, refiners syrup, caramel flavor, salt, sodium benzoate (used to protect quality), caramel color.

"....Dark corn syrup is made with refiners' syrup, a type of molasses."

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...&gl=us&ie=UTF-8
  #265   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 15:42

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

But molasses is cane sugar (sucrose)

Patrick
  #266   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 16:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtor
But molasses is cane sugar (sucrose)

Patrick

Yep, and that sucrose is half glucose & half fructose, right?

So, although the dark corn syrup apparently does not contain HFCS, it is NOT fructose-free.

Right?

However..... would it not have LESS fructose than table sugar (sucrose)?

Right?

For people alive before the invention of HFCS, back before 1966, the LIGHT Karo Corn Syrup would have been fructose-free.

And I predict it may well be again, in the near future.

Anyway, the USDA website doens't break down the sugars in the dark corn syrup -- so I have NO idea how much molasses is in it...
  #267   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-09, 17:14

Plan: VLC 4 days a week
Stats: 337/258/200 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Yep, I wish they would stop adding fructose to it. It's only to make it sweeter.

Patrick
  #268   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:26

BF:

Which Sugar Is Worse: Fructose Or Glucose?
LC Research/Media

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=395005
  #269   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 08:42

BF:

Beware the High Fructose Corn Syrup : Disease Proof

Quote:

....The following are excerpts from research published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1993:58 (suppl) 820S-823S. The sections selected suggest the potential for intestinal irritation which might occur from excessive long term exposure in susceptible individuals who's cells produce little or none of the enzyme required to break down fructose for digestion:

In terms of its potentially adverse health effects, fructose is a cariogenic sugar with the potential for malabsorption, particularly when it is consumed without glucose. There is a subset of the population that needs to avoid or limit fructose consumption because of intolerance or abnormal lipogenic responses.

More specific concerns related to individuals or sub-populations also exist. For fructose, some of these concerns include the potential for malabsorption, intolerance, increased lipogenesis by carbohydrate-sensitive hyperinsulinemic subgroups, cariogenicity and changes in behavior.

- - - -total fructose availability has remained relatively constant during the past 20 years as has the glucose-to-fructose ratio in the food supply, although free fructose exposure has increased with the shift from sucrose to High Fructose Syrup and with the increased use of crystalline fructose.

Malabsorption of fructose occurs in patients with hereditary fructose intolerance and other inherited disorders of fructose metabolism, as reviewed by Hommes.

Malabsorption also may occur in normal children and adults, particularly when high doses of fructose are administered, because the intestinal absorptive capacity for fructose appears to be limited, as reviewed by Riby, et al.

This effect appears to be dose-related and is usually self-limiting. Some fruit juices, such as apple and pear juice contain higher concentrations of fructose than glucose and also contain sorbitol; when excessive amounts of these juices are consumed, the risk of carbohydrate malabsorption is increased and typical symptoms of diarrhea, flatulence, abdominal distention and abdominal pain may be experienced.

Note: The preceding data was published in 1993 and would need updating. This information was available then and should have been widely known and the catalyst for enactment of regulations with warnings and limitations on the use of High Fructose Corn Syrup in food products to protect the unsuspecting fructose intolerant IBS portion of the American population.

http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...e=UTF-8&strip=1

#270   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-09, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' annie
Yep, and that sucrose is half glucose & half fructose, right?

So, although the dark corn syrup apparently does not contain HFCS, it is NOT fructose-free.

Right?

However..... would it not have LESS fructose than table sugar (sucrose)?

Right?

For people alive before the invention of HFCS, back before 1966, the LIGHT Karo Corn Syrup would have been fructose-free.

And I predict it may well be again, in the near future.

Anyway, the USDA website doens't break down the sugars in the dark corn syrup -- so I have NO idea how much molasses is in it...

I hope you are right! It would be great if we could get light corn syrup with no fructose.

I can buy powdered dextrose at my health food store, which I use for sweetening cereal and such. You can also purchase it online.

Cathy