Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-02, 16:10

Plan: SP
Stats: 128/128/120
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Trainer Dan: Cardio burnout, weights-only 4 fat loss?

Hi Trainer Dan...I'm hoping you can help me with my question. It's a bit complicated, so the post is quite long. I apologize for that, but hope you will read through to the end.

After struggling with weight gain and other symptoms after discontinuing Depo-Provera this March, I gained a lot of fat. I went from 15 percent bf in May to 22 percent 6 weeks later. I looked it, too, so it wasn't the bf scale. (For the record: I'm 5'2. I went from a ripped 120 pounds to a doughy 128. Now I'm down to about 125, but have tons of flab around my waist, hips, and lower back.)

Throughout the Depo problem, until about late July, I continued with the cardio and lifting (4-5 times a week cardio for 45-60 minutes, lifting intensely 4x/wk). Despite the intense exercise, and eating enough calories to support it, I could not lose a pound.

Hang with me here: My question is coming!

Finally, after doing an hour of cardio a day for 3 weeks and not losing a pound, I said F*** it. I'm burned out on cardio. So I stopped all cardio in the third week of August, I think. Haven't done cardio since, but have continued to lift heavy.

I'm down to 18 percent bf again, mainly due to extreme calorie deprivation--1000 calories a day. I know, I know, I know, but it was the ONLY way my weight budged, and believe me, I did everything the right, healthy way first. (I'm a health and fitness writer).

Here's the question:

I want to get back to 15 percent bf again. Can I meet this goal through low-carbing and weight-lifting only, with no cardio?

I am totally burned out on cardio--I've done it virtually every day for 3 years, and I think the Depo/weight gain/discouragement of not losing the weight made the burnout worse.

I've always been thin and fit; I'm 39, so maybe the Depo did a number on my aging metabolism and this is the perimenopausal body I'm stuck with. I sure hope not. I hate the way I look.

If I have to do cardio to lose the extra fat (notice I didn't say lose the extra weight), I will. But is it possible to lose fat through diet and weight-training alone? Is it worth continuing this path, and if so, do you have any tips for me?

Thanks so much for listening, and for your reply.
Julia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-30-02, 21:31

Plan: SP
Stats: 128/128/120
BF:
Progress: 0%

bumpety-bump for Trainer Dan...thank you!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-01-02, 10:12

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default you could ...

If you designed your workout in a manner that minimizes rest periods, you can gain a cardio element to the workout.

I have been using supersets for the past month, with very little cardio and even though I am "bulking" I can still see my abs.

The best way to do this is to use supersets. That is, do one sets of an exercise followed immediately by another set of a different exercise. At first, you will want to use exercises from opposing bodyparts (chest then back ... biceps then triceps ... quads then hamstrings ... etc).

Rest between supersets. I sweat like a madman during these workouts. LOL.

Give it a shot and see what happens. I still suggest walking a few times each week just to maintain cardiovascular health.