Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 07:58
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetgrey
not as scary as "studies show low carb diets cause atrial fibrillation"! I don't even want to look at that.

Seriously? Why would it cause atrial fibrillation?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 10:33

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Seriously? Why would it cause atrial fibrillation?
The theory would be that low-carbing messes up your electrolyte balance and THAT results in AFIB.

And actually, because one does eliminate a lot of water (along with electrolytes like magnesium ions, potassium ions and sodium ions) in the early days of low carbing; and because those ions are all involved in the signaling from the brain to the heart that tells the heart when to beat, the idea that a keto diet COULD cause AFIB in someone who is already susceptible to irregular heart-beat seems to me to be at least somewhat plausible.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 20:07

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Yet any good keto diet tells you to make sure you get enough electrolytes. But how many high-carb diets warn you that you are going to crave carbs, overeat because you are constantly hungry, get fatter and become more susceptible to heart attacks?
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 03:19

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Yet any good keto diet tells you to make sure you get enough electrolytes. But how many high-carb diets warn you that you are going to crave carbs, overeat because you are constantly hungry, get fatter and become more susceptible to heart attacks?

Absolutely so.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:39

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
The theory would be that low-carbing messes up your electrolyte balance and THAT results in AFIB.

And actually, because one does eliminate a lot of water (along with electrolytes like magnesium ions, potassium ions and sodium ions) in the early days of low carbing; and because those ions are all involved in the signaling from the brain to the heart that tells the heart when to beat, the idea that a keto diet COULD cause AFIB in someone who is already susceptible to irregular heart-beat seems to me to be at least somewhat plausible.

This is plausible, certainly people at risk of AFIB should be careful with this kind of dietary change--but the study going the rounds has the cut-off for low carb at pretty close to a 50 percent carbohydrate diet, the difference between the high end of low carbers and the low end of high carbers for carb intake was seven percent of diet as carbohydrate. If somebody proposed an intervention study with one cohort eating "under 48 percent carbs" and another eating "over 55 percent carbs" as the primary intervention, hopefully they'd be denied funding.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Keto crotch?

I have seen this mentioned in magazines twice this month as a down-side to the keto diet.

I have never, ever heard of this before after a lot of years of low-carb.

Anyone experience this or heard of it before?
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 15:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

There’s a thread on the Media section.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=482108
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-19, 16:50

BF:

Also a blog post today by Dr. Mercola addressing the likely origins of this particular bit of fake news....

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/...eto-crotch.aspx
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Mar-25-19, 08:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-l...o-the-keto-diet

It's hard to catch T.C. Luoma saying something I agree with. This article no exception--and it tends to refute itself. Rather than trying to substantiate claims--like the one that launched this discussion, which he includes--he frankly states that they're unsubstantiated, but lists them anyways, as if they back up his "keto sucks" claims. Don't bother clinking on the link unless you have the brain cells to spare. I'm a little dizzy.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 05:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is scarier, New threat to Low Carb, copied from a Tweet :

Tim Noakes
~ProfTimNoakes

#Banting7DayMealPlan Facebook page deleted today. Guess the crime is that 1,65 million people believe that
~xeyedmess
and the LCHF/Banting lifestyle "saved" their lives. Somebody doesn't want the world to know that.

Jayne Bullen
~jaynebullen
· May 14
Sending my Gratitude and support to ~xeyedmess for the profound work they do on the #Banting7DayMealPlan group. With 1,65million active users, they sure are a threat to many! Facebook deleted this group in entirety today with no warning for breaching 'community standards'
#fight

Science Feedback partnering with Facebook in fight against misinformation
https://sciencefeedback.co/science-...misinformation/

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, May-16-19 at 06:17.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 07:17

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
This is scarier, New threat to Low Carb, copied from a Tweet :

Tim Noakes
~ProfTimNoakes

#Banting7DayMealPlan Facebook page deleted today. Guess the crime is that 1,65 million people believe that
~xeyedmess
and the LCHF/Banting lifestyle "saved" their lives. Somebody doesn't want the world to know that.

Jayne Bullen
~jaynebullen
· May 14
Sending my Gratitude and support to ~xeyedmess for the profound work they do on the #Banting7DayMealPlan group. With 1,65million active users, they sure are a threat to many! Facebook deleted this group in entirety today with no warning for breaching 'community standards'
#fight

Science Feedback partnering with Facebook in fight against misinformation
https://sciencefeedback.co/science-...misinformation/

This is pretty horrifying.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 07:24
Registered Member

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 140/140/000 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I had not heard this nonsense about keto-crotch but it doesn't surprise me. I almost feel sorry for the high-carbers and high-sugar and high manufactured-food, and vegan gang. Must be pretty darned desperate to float silly 'news' like this.

I've been on and of (mostly on) low-carb for years and years and years and I've never had, or heard, of this nonsense.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 09:32

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

As I've mentioned in other posts, when in the car, I often listen to Doctor Radio on SiriusXM, and keto is referred to as a "fad" diet. Yes, silly keto people, they'll get over it when the next "fad" comes around. Amazing how some have a visceral response when confronted with ways of eating not aligned with their own.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 13:02

BF:

So now we have "experts" deciding what messages about health we can and cannot read?? I have no problem with so-called "experts" posting rebuttals whenever they think someone is disseminating false news. I do have a problem with censorship!

The appropriate response to speech with which one does not agree is MORE speech, not enforced silence!

Some of my favorite quotations from John Stuart Mill's treatise On Liberty...

Quote:
He who knows only his own side of the case knows little of that. His reasons may be good, and no one may have been able to refute them. But if he is equally unable to refute the reasons on the opposite side, if he does not so much as know what they are, he has no ground for preferring either opinion... Nor is it enough that he should hear the opinions of adversaries from his own teachers, presented as they state them, and accompanied by what they offer as refutations. He must be able to hear them from persons who actually believe them...he must know them in their most plausible and persuasive form.

Quote:
Every man who says frankly and fully what he thinks is so far doing a public service. We should be grateful to him for attacking most unsparingly our most cherished opinions.

Quote:
The only way in which a human being can make some approach to knowing the whole of a subject, is by hearing what can be said about it by persons of every variety of opinion, and studying all modes in which it can be looked at by every character of mind. No wise man ever acquired his wisdom in any mode but this; nor is it in the nature of human intellect to become wise in any other manner.

Quote:
The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error.

Quote:
If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.

I can only wish that more people (on all sides of all the various debates going on in our society today) had a better understanding of LIBERTY as espoused by John Stuart Mill.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, May-16-19, 14:33

BF:

Could THIS be an explanation as to why Facebook decided to delete the Banting group?

Facebook Joins Forces with Vegan Company to Promote Plant-Based Lifestyles