Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 11:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I am volunteering with the Red Cross to work in a pharmacy and went in to get some shots. Long story short, they wanted blood work to determine what I needed - so I'm sitting there after they called my number and the nurse, an elderly woman who looked stressed, is my nurse. My jacket is off, and my right arm out palm up, and I hear these things dropping and she gets all three viles filled no problem, does a nice job. Then somehow we are all of a sudden talking about my diet, and I'm telling her about Atkins and carbs and she keeps up with the questions - and it's not a slow day! The people waiting are not in the lab so they can't see - but for several minutes we talk about diet - then sleep - and she says Steve Jobs talked about getting eight hours, and I tell her I'm focused like a laser on sleep each night - blue blocker glasses 3 hrs before bed, removed electronics from my bedside, darkened my room, etc. And then she states the link between Alzheimer's disease and diet / lifestyle, and I'm nodding my head north and south. All of the seats are taken, getting blood drawn, and we're in our own little world - chatting - about diet! It was awesome. I could have talked for an hour I think.

First of all, that great that you are volunteering for the Red Cross pharmacy. I loved your post. I think it is folks like the nurse and folks like you that are knowedgeable about LC and diet are making a positive difference.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 11:40

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I don't think keto crotch is technically "fake." It's been written up and dramatized in a totally ridiculous way, though.

You know how you get bad breath when you're in ketosis because you're breathing out all those ketones from your lungs? That's all that's going on, just at the other end of women's bodies. They're burning ketones and if someone gets their face up close, then they can smell them. That's it. Smelly bits caused by ketosis = keto crotch.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Mar-08-19, 16:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
if someone gets their face up close, then they can smell them
How close? Could this happen in an elevator? On a city bus? In line at the DMV? Would that person be liable to arrest? Just wondering....
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 03:15

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl8
I don't think keto crotch is technically "fake." It's been written up and dramatized in a totally ridiculous way, though.

You know how you get bad breath when you're in ketosis because you're breathing out all those ketones from your lungs? That's all that's going on, just at the other end of women's bodies. They're burning ketones and if someone gets their face up close, then they can smell them. That's it. Smelly bits caused by ketosis = keto crotch.

Nope, not even plausible. I mean, in my opinion it's not plausible.

With the bad breath, it's the breath, not the mouth, and it doesn't come from the mouth, it comes from the lungs, and not from the lungs themselves, but from the air expelled from the lungs. So, even if there was some smell down there, it wouldn't be the crotch, it would be the pee, and it wouldn't come from the crotch, it would come from the bladder, and not from the bladder itself, but from the liquid expelled from the bladder.

This is the stuff I was talking about with my blog post Innate Preconceptions, which is a conclusion drawn from the obvious. In the case of bad breath associated with ketosis, this would be the conclusion that since it comes from the mouth (that's where we exhale from), then the cause of the problem must be the mouth.

Well, let's extend this innate preconception, this conclusion drawn from the obvious, and apply it to ketones being expelled through urine. If ketones stink when expelled through breath, then they must also stink when expelled through urine. And if the cause of this stink is the mouth, then the cause of the other stink must be the crotch.

See, the bladder isn't the cause of ketones, it's merely the container of ketones in liquid form. And not for the purpose of storage for later use, but for the purpose of storage for later disposal. The crotch then is not the cause of ketones, but the means of disposal of liquid ketones. Just like the lungs aren't the cause of ketones, they're merely the container of ketones in gas form. And not for the purpose of storage for later use, but for the purpose of storage for immediate disposal. And the mouth then is not the cause of ketones, but the means of disposal of gaseous ketones.

This innate preconception can also be used to imply that ketones in the breath and ketones in the urine is caused by some infection, which is likely to be true for most other bad smells coming from either place. Suffice to say, knowing the actual cause of ketones and the smell allows us to quickly dispel any incorrect innate preconceptions, any conclusion drawn from the obvious.

-edit- Sorry, ketones isn't specific enough. To be specific, I should say acetone instead because that's what the smell actually is. And we can only smell it because acetone tends to come out of solution - to go from liquid to gas - very quickly depending on things like pressure and temperature, and tends to remain gaseous if the conditions that took it out of solution are maintained, which happens to be the case with breath and urine. In other words, for the smell to stick to surfaces (like the mouth and the crotch), it must re-enter solution and the conditions just don't allow this to occur.

Last edited by M Levac : Sat, Mar-09-19 at 03:26.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 04:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

M Levac, ladies and gentlemen, who gives science far more thought than whoever dreamed this rumor up.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 04:34

BF:

Hehe, that's me alright.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 11:08

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
How close? Could this happen in an elevator? On a city bus? In line at the DMV? Would that person be liable to arrest? Just wondering....
VERY close. I was trying to keep my answer PG-13, but you'd have to be VERY close, if you get my drift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Nope, not even plausible. I mean, in my opinion it's not plausible.
I see where you're going with your response, but people who are in heavy ketosis often even have a smell coming off their skin. Coupled with what is normally a closed, warm, damp environment which would emphasize this, I think it is plausible.

The media stories are still ridiculous.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 22:30

BF:

It just occurred to me that this may not be the complete story, as if we can expect the second move soon. Kinda like here, this is the bad guy and here's why, give enough time for it to sink in, and then later, hey this is the good guy, cuz he's not the bad guy cuz he doesn't do this, remember?
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-19, 22:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

#25   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 06:32

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
It just occurred to me that this may not be the complete story, as if we can expect the second move soon. Kinda like here, this is the bad guy and here's why, give enough time for it to sink in, and then later, hey this is the good guy, cuz he's not the bad guy cuz he doesn't do this, remember?

I don't know what's next, but on another LC forum, someone mentioned that there was a story about LC diets causing an 18% increase in A-fib. Someone else in the thread mentioned that the study itself won't even be published until next week, so I don't even know how the article author came across this information. I haven't read the article yet - will do that and get back with a link.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 06:40

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ah - here's the quote that's going to link this article to the K***c***** story:
Quote:
However, cardiologist Dr. Nicole Harkin notes that this study isn't the only piece of evidence suggesting going keto might not be a good idea. "While low-carbohydrate (or ketogenic) diets can lead to short-term weight loss, we lack long-term studies to show that they are safe for long-term health," Dr. Harkin told The Daily Meal in an email. The diet, which is rumored to give people breath that smells like nail polish, might not be so safe after all."Actually, the studies that we do have seem to support the idea that they actually may be harmful and increase the risk of cardiovascular disease.

https://www.pacificsandiego.com/sns...0308-story.html

(Not sure I'm doing the link correctly - if it doesn't work, please let me know how to fix it.)
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 18:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

They don't mention that acetone breath only lasts for a couple of weeks in the people who get it (not usually a problem if you drink enough water). As your body adapts, it uses the ketones for energy and no longer excretes them.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 07:16

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
I don't know what's next,
Oh, it's the A-fib. And a summary of the study defines low carb as less than 45% of calories.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 09:49

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I don't know what's next, but on another LC forum, someone mentioned that there was a story about LC diets causing an 18% increase in A-fib. Someone else in the thread mentioned that the study itself won't even be published until next week, so I don't even know how the article author came across this information. I haven't read the article yet - will do that and get back with a link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Ah - here's the quote that's going to link this article to the K***c***** story:

https://www.pacificsandiego.com/sns...0308-story.html

(Not sure I'm doing the link correctly - if it doesn't work, please let me know how to fix it.)

And this was quoted at me at lunch on Friday — that’s all my friend knew and now she’s worried. When she shouldn’t be.

And, THIS is the Black Box Warning on the next stage of drugs for my autoimmune:

Quote:
FDA Approves Siliq for Psoriasis with Black Box Label Warning and REMS

February 17, 2017

On February 15, 2017, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved Siliq (brodalumab; Valeant Pharmaceuticals) to treat adults with moderate-to-severe plaque psoriasis. The agency approved Siliq with a black box label warning on an observed risk for suicidal thoughts and actions. In addition, Siliq will be available only through a Risk Evaluation and Mitigation Strategy (REMS) program that will restrict access.

Siliq is an injectable monoclonal antibody that inhibits the human interleukin-17 receptor A, thereby blocking the inflammatory response involved in plaque psoriasis. It is indicated specifically for patients who are candidates for systemic therapy or phototherapy and who have failed to respond, or stopped responding, to other systemic therapies.

In July 2016, an FDA advisory panel voted 18-0 that the overall benefit/risk profile of Siliq was acceptable to support an approval recommendation, but 14 of the 18 panel members did so only on the condition that risk management options for suicide ideation and behavior beyond labeling be implemented.

This type of drug has these further warnings:

Quote:
Serious infections have occurred with the use of Siliq. Consider the risks and benefits prior to initiating Siliq in patients with a chronic infection or a history of recurrent infection.

Because it turns out shutting down the immune system creates a long term problem.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 10:43

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

Because it turns out shutting down the immune system creates a long term problem.

Another killer drug.
Imagine dying from a scratch because your immune system was shut down with this drug!
It's like cutting off your nose to spite your face.....