Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Success Stories > Milestones
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Aug-22-15, 19:57

Plan: Keto
Stats: 204/157.0/138 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

thanks so much for sharing your story. so inspirational
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Oct-31-15, 06:44

Plan: WW's/ Atkins/George S.
Stats: 317.6/260.4/186 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 43%

Congratulations Ken I love reading your story and so glad your daughter is doing it too!
It is the best plan that is for sure!
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-23-16, 16:44

Plan: duke university,dr,weston
Stats: 330/324/275 Male 6ft 2
BF:
Progress: 11%

hi,i wanted to ask if you drank diet sodas on your plan?what would a typical day be,the food you eat,any suppliments you used,fiber etc,did you use the keto strips ? thanks p.s any thing else that would be helpful.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Dec-27-16, 10:14
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingblade
hi,i wanted to ask if you drank diet sodas on your plan?what would a typical day be,the food you eat,any suppliments you used,fiber etc,did you use the keto strips ? thanks p.s any thing else that would be helpful.

I did drink diet soda and use artificial sweeteners throughout my weight loss. I drank diet soda before the diet. I gave up a lot of regular foods when I went low carb. I didn't have to give up my diet soda habit, so perhaps it even helped me stay the course. I know it isn't good for me so I am planning on giving up diet soda as my 2017 New Year's resolution.

I never used keto strips. I just tried to keep my net carbs under 30. I didn't always succeed, but on average I did hit that mark. I did take a multivitamin and vitamin D supplements for a while. I'm not sure that they did much, so I don't anymore. I do take fiber (psyillium powder in water) twice daily. I started taking it for its effects in lowing cholesterol. But I found through testing my blood sugar that it also dampens the impact of the carbs that I do eat - slowing digestion. Early on, I could still get significant BG swings from even a tiny amount of sugar. I have longer lasting satisfaction from a meal if I get a slow rise and fall in my BG. The fiber helps make that happen.

Starting in January 2015 I started logging my food in this forum in the MY PLAN section. I have not been as diligent about it in 2016, but the 2015 data is fairly complete. Here is a link to the My Meals section. You can flip through the days using the calendar on the upper right of that page.

Examples from my meals from this forum's MY PLAN
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-28-16, 05:17

BF:

happy new year!!A+++++,this is such an ispiration for me , i am new here and still having trouble being in ketosis,just added coconut oil organic,doing the leafy grens,green beans brocoli,i do use a little cheese sauce when i eat it by itself,drinka little diet soda,i would say less than 10 carbs a day ,some even less,i am at a 9 lb loss as of 6am edst,in ky,29 days,seems a little slow but ,better than nothing the constipation seems to be getting better,still if you have any ideas how to get and stay in ketosis ,please send them to me ,again, great story,you are my hero,YOU WILL NOT BE CARRIED BY 6 TODAY,post what the doc says.later
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 11:51

BF:
Unhappy high bp

has anyone else experienced a sudden rise in blood pressure,had to go on higher dose ,doctor did not think it was the diet,just wondering,was up to a 12 loss,then this
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 13:05

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

A decrease in blood pressure is actually much more common, people are cautioned to keep an eye on their blood pressure, in case they end up over-medicated.

How often do you check your blood pressure? Is this the first time you've checked it since being on the diet, had you checked it recently before going on the diet?
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-16, 16:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Agree with teaser, it usually drops. But here are two cautions to consider. https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...ure#more-241392

Also read the excellent guide linked within above, how to normalize BP. You don't list actual numbers...is it really high to start? How much did it increase? BP can be overmedicated by some doctors when lifestyle changes might have been sufficient. Definitely keep a close eye on your numbers yourself...home meter, drug store machine, etc. daily, same time of day and situation, to be sure it was not a one off at the doctor's office and you watch it as you lose weight! And congrats on the 12 pounds

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-01-17 at 03:38.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 04:26

BF:

started getting higher than its ever been on the 28 th of dec,bttom number is staying in the 90'splus range at rest,numbers this am 164/93/65,i am on 3 meds now,it usaly takes all day for the numbers to come down to normal ranges,makes me very stressed,i dont need that ,still working on the plan,i know it will get better ,bad timing,meds make you tired.did not need this.
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-17, 05:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Don't want to take over Ken's Year 1 report, but know he worked on BP for some time. Suggest focusing on the lifestyle measures in the article, How to Normalize BP, e.g. Stay VLC to reduce insulin, walk outside and find ways to relieve stress, check the list of medications that increase BP if have any, reduce caffeine, have Vit D level checked, consider eating more canned wild salmon or take fish oil capsules, etc. There are a number of suggestions here:
https://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 13:36

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:

You're story is an inspiration and gives me hope! You have accomplished SO much.