Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#196   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 15:12
Registered Member

Plan: Neocarnivore
Stats: 375/345/250 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
How many holes can you poke in it before the United Nations starts worrying about the cooling of the earth's core?
I was just waiting for someone to point out that my invention would accelerate the eventual distruction of the Earth/Moon system by increasing tidal drag. We have to think of the poor hungry children who will have to deal with the results of our greed 12 billion years from now.
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 15:16
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
Yeah, and BTW, how do you make boobiecakes, with whipped eggs or what?

....breast milk.....good 'ne....Pennink!

I'm confident Cleo will have some fandangled recipe for marvelous boobiecakes, probably a complimentary side for oopsie rolls.

Ya-know I can always tell when Cleo has visited a thread....

Sorry....continue with earth/moon desctruction stuff.
  #198   ^
Old Tue, Apr-29-08, 16:17
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
I keep wondering when people are going to start considering nuclear energy as a genuine alternative for the production of electricity, which would also make electric cars consumers of sustainable energy. And which has no "carbon footprint," and doesn't require or benefit using part of the food chain to produce energy at the expense of food.

Here in my home province [Saskatchewan] we are the Saudi Arabia of uranium. We have a newly elected provincial government who is spearheading mining it --finally--. We need to take advantage of the science and opportunities around our uranium wealth.

The premier spoke recently saying he envisions an ambitious project involving the federal government, SaskPower and one of the uranium companies located in the province that would see Saskatchewan playing a lead role in the research and development of nuclear power.

Way beyond high-time.
  #199   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 14:53
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisstp
Having more people around does not only add labour, it also adds ideas, markets to test products, and incentives to improve current technology, among other things.

Other things like needing more food, needing more energy, and generating more polution?

With 6.7 BILLION people around, I wonder how many more people are needed to save us. Seven billion? Ten billion? Considering how much energy 6.7 billion use and how much more energy ten billion will need, isn't there a point of diminishing returns?

I said: "The more food we grow, the more people we have." Baerdric responded:

Quote:
Oddly the opposite seems to be true, those counties where food is plentiful have a lower population growth rate in general than those countries where growing food seems to be a problem.

I was thinking global population. With international trade, it is not necessary to GROW food to HAVE food. It is, however, essential to have FOOD to grow PEOPLE.

Quote:
I understand the cry, "Why haven't we fed the hungry people of the world." but I also understand that the answer isn't to force other people to do it by government decree. That's slavery.

Not sure what your point is here, but I was reminded of:

Quote:
And we alone shall feed them in Thy name, declaring falsely that it is in Thy name. Oh, never, never can they feed themselves without us! No science will give them bread so long as they remain free. In the end they will lay their freedom at our feet, and say to us, "Make us your slaves, but feed us." (The Inquisitor) -- Dostoevsky

http://www.serendipity.li/jsmill/grand_inquisitor.htm

Quote:
So you agree then that the problem is not a lack of resources but a lack innovation.

No, I disagree. I was only pointing out that if innovation can help us, it has failed us in this instance.

Quote:
I think it's fairly obvious that we're not using whatever resources we have at our disposal nearly as efficiently as we could be. And there are plenty of resources we don't even use because we have no idea how, such as minerals from the moon or asteroids and heat from the earth's core.

Hrm, I hate the science fiction answers. Are we just dumb that we don't spend the trillions of dollars probably needed to mine the moon? Heat from the earth's core seems to be a bit less expensive; why isn't anyone actually doing it?

Speaking of science fiction, here's a guy who was no stranger to brilliant ideas OR science fiction:

Quote:
Bill Moyers: What happens to the idea of the dignity of the human species if this population growth continues at its present rate?

Isaac Asimov: It will be completely destroyed.

I like to use what I call my bathroom metaphor: if two people live in an apartment and there are two bathrooms, then both have freedom of the bathroom. You can go to the bathroom anytime you want to stay as long as you want for whatever you need. And everyone believes in freedom of the bathroom; it should be right there in the Constitution.

But if you have twenty people in the apartment and two bathrooms, no matter how much every person believes in freedom of the bathroom, there is no such thing. You have to set up times for each person, you have to bang on the door, “Aren’t you through yet?” and so on.

In the same way, democracy cannot survive overpopulation. Human dignity cannot survive it. Convenience and decency cannot survive it. As you put more and more people onto the world, the value of life not only declines, it disappears. It doesn’t matter if someone dies, the more people there are, the less one person matters."

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/b...ac_asimo_1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legeon
Wouldn't finite resources, used more efficiently, get depleted as quickly as before since more and more people would be using them?

Quicker. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazzoom-Brookes_postulate
  #200   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 15:56
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaveman
I was thinking global population.
You response is what is usually called "Cooking the books". You average together all systems, in which bad ones predominate, then blame the poor "global" average on the good systems.

Those countries in which there is the most Freedom, Education and Technology have the lower population rates, the higher standards of living and the more food. Those that don't have adequate Freedom, Education and Technology are overpopulated and hungry. It's not because we don't ship tons and tons of free food to poor people, it's because no amount of free food provides Freedom, Education and Technology.

Not to mention that free food often causes fecundity.

Quote:
Are we just dumb that we don't spend the trillions of dollars probably needed to mine the moon?
Yes.

Although mining the Asteroids is a much better answer, as is space platforms for solar energy, nuclear power and conservation. If we had started at the begining of "The War on Poverty", poverty would be begging for a cease-fire by now.

So the answer is for everyone to buy a HumVee. I'm for it.
  #201   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 16:38

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Those countries in which there is the most Freedom, Education and Technology have the lower population rates, the higher standards of living and the more food. Those that don't have adequate Freedom, Education and Technology are overpopulated and hungry. It's not because we don't ship tons and tons of free food to poor people, it's because no amount of free food provides Freedom, Education and Technology.

I think I love you
  #202   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 18:44
Registered Member

Plan: Angry Paleo
Stats: 375/205/180 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Quote:
You response is what is usually called "Cooking the books".

Heh. I like to call it "multi-agent, complex adaptive systems analysis", if only because people who do it for a living know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
You average together all systems, in which bad ones predominate, then blame the poor "global" average on the good systems.

Well, I never averaged together all systems, the systems themselves did that. And I don't really think that I'm blaming, but if I am, I'm blaming the bad systems.

Quote:
Not to mention that free food often causes fecundity.

Not to mention? That's all I've really been saying.

Quote:

So what?

Quote:
I keep wondering when people are going to start considering nuclear energy as a genuine alternative for the production of electricity, which would also make electric cars consumers of sustainable energy.

They considered it 30 years ago, and deemed it not a genuine alternative because they thought oil was going to last forever, or some science fiction would save us. It takes ten years to build a nuke plant. The single facility fabricating reactor containment structures can crank one out in three months. Can someone figure out how many hundreds (thousands?) of nuke plants would be needed in the United States to replace current fossil-fuel generation? And how many more hundreds (thousands?) to supply electricity to hundreds of millions of electric cars?

Quote:
And which has no "carbon footprint," and doesn't require or benefit using part of the food chain to produce energy at the expense of food.

A single nuke plant in California kills about 50 tons of commercial fish per year in the seawater intakes alone.

In addition to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_pollution
  #203   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 19:22
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
So what?
It's been interesting talking to you. Very illustrative.
  #204   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 19:33
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I keep wondering when people are going to start considering nuclear energy...
Any solution which does not involve forcing everyone else to adhere to the standards set by those who believe they know best how everyone else should live, will be ridiculed, nitpicked, slandered or ignored.
  #205   ^
Old Thu, May-01-08, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Quote:
It's been interesting talking to you. Very illustrative.
I find the virtual ignore button to be useful.
  #206   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 04:35
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I find the virtual ignore button to be useful.
Heh! Where can I buy one of those?!?!

Actually, I find certain styles of rethoric entertaining even beyond the point where communication becomes one way. It's rare for me to be unwilling to read, albeit with a sense of rue, even the worst of frantic ideologues. But since I usually take extra time and effort to compose and edit my posts, I am learning to respond only when dialog is occuring.

I usually have a busy day, even though I get many chances to check in.
  #207   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 05:47
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifezilla
I think I love you
I've been known to make many young women swoon, usually right after a lot of screaming, crying and mumblings of "No, no, oh God, please make it go away!"

It's a talent.
  #208   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 08:47

Plan: I'm a Barry Girl
Stats: 250/208/190 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 70%

::snort::

A capitalist pirate with a sense of humor. I am married to one of those. Like I tell hubby....

"Talk freedom to me baby!"
  #209   ^
Old Fri, May-02-08, 21:15

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I love this thread.
  #210   ^
Old Sat, May-03-08, 06:00
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Can someone figure out how many hundreds (thousands?) of nuke plants would be needed in the United States to replace current fossil-fuel generation? And how many more hundreds (thousands?) to supply electricity to hundreds of millions of electric cars?
I've just had a brief go at this and the answer seem to be "Not very many". The advantage is to Electricity because you don't need to replace all the energy contained in gasoline, just the energy needed to run the car. As you probably know, but didn't put into your "adaptive synthetic analysis", while gasoline cars turn ~90% of their energy into non-motive heat, electic cars use ~90% directly for movement. So nuclear power plants only have to power the equivant of ~10% of the cars on the road, not even counting the fact that some electric cars of today are 50% lighter than IC autos.

Quote:
A single nuke plant in California kills about 50 tons of commercial fish per year in the seawater intakes alone.
Then some smart guy like you should figure out how to harvest them first, instead of using this distortion of the general picture to advocate against nuclear.

That's how Freedom, Education and Technology can win against authoritarianism, propaganda and neo-luddism.

People often try to compare the reactors of 30-40 years ago with the <say> photovoltaic cells of 30-40 years from now. They say that if we just put the money into this unproven technology, innovation will happen (innovation which somehow gets more than 1000 watts per square meter) and it will out produce this "inherently evil" proven technology.

Then they turn around and tell you that no amount of innovation will fix the admitted problems with nuclear. They call it "Science Fiction" as if we weren't living in the age of Science Fiction, typing away at our PERSONAL COMPUTERS and sending instant messages across SPACE SATELLITES from our hand held CAMERA PHONES for goodness' sake.....