Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 07:55

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Restaurant scraps plant-based dishes because of 'holier-than-thou' vegans

Love this!

Quote:
Restaurant scraps plant-based dishes after becoming fed up with 'holier-than-thou' vegans

The Isle of Wight cafe defended itself against 'nasty' and 'bullying' vegans who were furious that their diet wasn't catered for

An award-winning restaurant has at hit out at "holier-than-thou" vegan customers saying they shouldn't have to adapt their menu to "suit" customers who don't eat animal products.

The Kitchen at London House on the Isle of Wight went online to defend itself against "nasty" and "bullying" vegans who were outraged at their decision to refuse to cater to their diets.

Addressing its critics, it said: "If you want vegan food, go to a vegan restaurant".

The popular high street restaurant in Ventnor said that though it used to serve some vegan food they decided to stop due to a "militant minority" that spoilt it for the majority.

Vegans do not eat any food derived from animals and typically do not use any animal products at all.

The backlash from the island's vegan community came after the restaurant and bistro recently announced the evening menu for Fridays and Saturdays on their Facebook page for their new London House Bistro restaurant.

The menu boasts mains including short rib of beef, confit duck leg cassoulet, sea bass - and a sole vegetarian option of goats cheese fig tart.

However, having seen the menu contained no vegan mains, some criticised the restaurant for not catering to their needs.

One user commented, "No vegan mains!!" to which the restaurant responded, "No!".

After responding to and defending their new menu choices, another user replied saying they were "trying your best to play the victim here".

But others supported the restaurant's decision, with one user telling disgruntled vegans, Nice to see vegetarian[s] catered for rather than being lumped in with the tasteless vegan nonsense that some slop up" and another writing, "Can't wait to come visit".

'We got fed up with the arrogant, 'holier-than-thou' attitude'

Just three days after their post announcing the menu, The Kitchen at London house wrote another post lamenting the "bullying" comments they received and explaining why they had stopped catering for "holier-than-thou" vegans.

The post read: "I apologised politely and professionally that sadly we do not cater for vegans.

"Had that of been a food intolerance we couldn’t cater for, ordinarily that would have sufficed.

"However, some nasty people have felt it’s their place and right to criticise this fact.

"Do you think that bullying someone is going to endear them to you? Is it going to make them rethink their decision…maybe I should? NO it does not!

"We have in the past catered for vegans. Everything from Vegan cream teas, even had special Vegan bacon made so they could enjoy BLT’s amongst other things.

"We stopped. Why? Because we got fed up with the arrogant, 'holier-than-thou' attitude.

"Please, vegans, it is not a given that we should adapt our menu to suit your preference.

"If you want vegan food, go to a vegan restaurant…which incidentally if I went to one and asked for a steak I wouldn’t get one, nor would I expect to.

"You have chosen your lifestyle, it’s not a medical condition that you’ve been forced to endure through no fault of your own.

"Your choice does not fit with our style of cooking. We respect your choice, and expect that you respect ours.

"We know, it’s unfair to tar everyone with the same brush. Our decision to stop [catering] for vegans several years ago was sadly brought about by the militant minority which has subsequently spoil it for the majority."

The London House Bistro's evening menu, served from 6pm on Fridays and Saturdays, launches on Friday.

The restaurant has won awards in the past for its artisan breads, and is also famed for its homemade giant sausage rolls.

Bistro owner Sally Cooper - who wrote the Facebook post - today said that she made the decision to stop catering to vegans after staff started to get abused.

Pre-pandemic the cafe served vegan cream teas and vegan bacon, she said. But customers started to complain that vegan products were being stored in the same chiller cabinets as meat.

"I would say 'Hang on a second,' " she said. "They'd look down their noses at us. We'd tell them what vegan options we could offer them and they'd said it was disgusting."

Ms Cooper, 60, said her growing irritation with the "militant minority" led to her decision not to provide a vegan option on the bistro menu.

"It's a small kitchen," she said. "We produce tasty, home cooked food. We don't want to cook plant burgers, pulses and beans. It's not our food."

She said that since her post she had received a call to the shop from a man who had called her a 'disgusting, dreadful woman."

However, the overwhelming reaction had been supportive, she said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ed-holier-than/

Quote:
"Please, vegans, it is not a given that we should adapt our menu to suit your preference.

"If you want vegan food, go to a vegan restaurant…which incidentally if I went to one and asked for a steak I wouldn’t get one, nor would I expect to.
Exactly!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 08:10

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

It's the holier than thou attitude that disturbs me too.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 10:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

If a die-hard vegan has no choice but to go to that particular restaurant (for instance if it's an outing planned by someone else, such as a business dinner, and they're required to go), then find some things on the menu that are vegan - a plain baked potato, and a green salad with oil and vinegar should certainly fit the definition of vegan. In all likelihood, the bread will probably also be vegan - eat up.

It's ONE meal, you won't starve to death if you don't have an elaborate main dish made from tofu and wheat grass on the menu.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 10:54

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
If a die-hard vegan has no choice but to go to that particular restaurant (for instance if it's an outing planned by someone else, such as a business dinner, and they're required to go), then find some things on the menu that are vegan - a plain baked potato, and a green salad with oil and vinegar should certainly fit the definition of vegan. In all likelihood, the bread will probably also be vegan - eat up.

It's ONE meal, you won't starve to death if you don't have an elaborate main dish made from tofu and wheat grass on the menu.
But the salad greens might have seen kept in the same refrigerator as the beef.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 11:21

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I have nothing against vegans, after all, I'm a picky eater too (I don't eat sugar and most starch).

I don't appreciate those who are holier than thou or militant about it.

I don't go to donut shops because other than the coffee, there is nothing there for me.

I have some vegan friends, and we have found a half dozen places where they can enjoy herbivore food and I can enjoy omnivore food.

They have never preached about their choice, and I don't know if it is for ethical or perceived healthful reasons. Plus I don't care.

We are both picky eaters so we find places where we can enjoy ourselves with our diverse tastes.

And if a restaurant wants to offer vegan or not, it's their business choice. If they pick the right menu for the area, prepare it well, and price it accordingly, they should be successful.

There is no "have to" cater to anyone.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 11:50

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

They certainly don't sound humanitarian 🤷‍♀️
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Aug-12-22, 14:33
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I thought this was from "The Onion" at first! Good for them. Even big chain restaurants don't have the space or the capacity for seperate fridges and freezers and that nonsense. If I were a small establishment, that's exactly how I'd handle things: "here are our options, take it or leave it." I could certainly offer up suggestions like the baked potato or salad like Calianna suggested, but I wouldn't carry any expensive (and perishable) fake meats or dairy.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-23-22, 17:28

BF:

I think if the restaurant and kitchen is large enough, and if there are enough vegans to make it profitable, it would be good business to include some vegan dishes.

The reason to be in business is to make money so the owner can feed himself/herself and pay their mortgage and other expenses.

But if there aren't enough vegans to make catering to them profitable, there is no reason to offer anything vegan other than a salad.

At least that's the way I feel about it.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-22, 09:00

BF:

It's this kind of vegan behavior that makes restaurants less eager to make smaller accommodation. I'm lucky in that my gluten-free situation doesn't need dedicated tools or separate prep spaces. I can order something that shouldn't have gluten in it and make sure they aren't using pre-prepped. Then I'm okay.

I'm not asking for anything special, like the vegans are. There are places I don't go because they have nothing on the menu I can eat. I don't go there.

Problem solved.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Aug-26-22, 12:44

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I volunteer on a committee that provides lunch and so many people were asking for so many different things that they set things up with separate, plain ingredients. Some people make sandwiches, I put the meat & hard boiled eggs in a salad with whichever other ingredients I can/want to eat. It works for carnivores, omnivores, vegetarians & vegans. I've been all four over the last 50 years, but high animal protein, moderate fat and very low carb real foods is what works for me. I only wish I had stuck with Atkins when I first tried it in 1973.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 08:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
<...snip...>
I'm not asking for anything special, like the vegans are. There are places I don't go because they have nothing on the menu I can eat. I don't go there.

Problem solved.

I'm a very finicky eater, plus I'm keto.

That leaves out most Italian and Mexican restaurants. I don't go there.

I wouldn't dream of demanding a keto meal at a pizzeria.

I don't do fast food at all.

And if a restaurant doesn't have something for my tastes, I go somewhere else.

Seems like there are more important things to get upset over.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 09:42

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

The nice thing these days is that many restaurants have their menus online so you can check them out before deciding to go there. Or if it is the inviter's choice of restaurant, you can decide if you need to eat beforehand or bring something (eg. salad dressing or sweetener) to help you get through the meal. Often how they describe the ingredients will give you an idea of how careful or lax they are regarding customers' requirements & preferences.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 06:16

BF:

Excellent tip. If I go to a real, but not fancy, restaurant, I can get an antipasto or a fajita bowl.

If everything is prefab it's got gluten. End of story.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-23-22, 08:42

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

I haven't done this since I can just pick toppings of the pizza, but I hear that there are plenty of pizza places (mostly mom & pop type Italian restaurants) that if you ask, they'll bake the toppings on a piece of foil or parchment, or bake them in an oven-proof foil pan. That means there's really no need to ask for a LC or keto meal (and hope they understand what makes it LC or keto). Or if you don't need to avoid any contact at all with gluten, just pick the toppings off the pizza to eat.

There's always key words in the menu description that you can easily figure out refer to sugars or starches - anything served with a "sauce" will almost always be sweetened and/or thickened with some kind of starch. Gravy is obviously thickened with starch. Pasta is obvious. Crispy coating, or crusted - almost always refer to breaded or battered. Breaded - obvious. Glazed - usually sugary. BBQ - in many parts of the country that refers to a sweet sauce. Seasoned can be a bit inconclusive as a description, but if it says savory seasoning, it's usually not sweetened.

This is what makes demanding a specifically vegan meal at a restaurant so silly - find something on the menu that's all plant matter, even if it's just a green salad with oil and vinegar dressing - and there's your vegan meal, no different than if it was listed specifically as being a vegan green salad on the menu.

I get the feeling that a lot of vegans just like he idea of not ever eating an animal product, but don't really understand what is (or is not) an animal product, so they need to have it spelled out for them on the menu.

For instance, I've never seen a seasoned salt that had any kind of animal matter in it - and yet Trader Joe's sells a seasoned salt that specifically says it's chicken-less, even though it's totally unnecessary to state that it's chicken-less when seasoned salt has always been chicken-less. It's as if they either can't be bothered to read the ingredient list, or if they are reading the list of ingredients, they don't know that ingredients such as paprika and turmeric are (and have always been) derived from plant matter.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-22, 01:08
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I get the feeling that a lot of vegans just like he idea of not ever eating an animal product, but don't really understand what is (or is not) an animal product, so they need to have it spelled out for them on the menu.

For instance, I've never seen a seasoned salt that had any kind of animal matter in it - and yet Trader Joe's sells a seasoned salt that specifically says it's chicken-less, even though it's totally unnecessary to state that it's chicken-less when seasoned salt has always been chicken-less.
I wonder if it's something in the processing. The parchment paper we use at work is Kosher-certified. I asked a Jewish friend about that, and we looked it up and it turns out there's a beef derivative used in production.

(Can't wait for some vegan baker's head to asplode when they find that out) 🤯