Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Dec-21-22, 06:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Thanks, JEY! I love how protein is finally getting proper attention, after quite a lot of vegan nonsense about how "people don't need much."

Sharing these insights has helped me craft the right diet when I have so many restrictions. Focusing on nutrition among my choices make it easier.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jan-02-23, 07:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here's the New for 2023 Higher Satiety Eating for Weight Loss Program at DietDoctor. I signed up even though I have no problem maintaining goal weight. Wanted to see his approach, a more gentle intro to increasing Protein with their very professional web design, recipes, meal plans.
It's a three week program you could try within a free one month trial, https://www.dietdoctor.com/satiety/3-weeks/program
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-23, 14:40

Whey Protein: What it is and Why you Need It

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-is-whey-protein/

Who knew? New article by Mark Sisson on all the advantages of whey protein, some benefits to muscle growth, immunity, etc more than food. Maybe whey has more impact on body recomp than I had thought?

Dr Ted Naiman’s video was the first to convince me it was OK to add whey protein, especially older women who have a more difficult time eating enough protein. https://youtu.be/zCgDBd8FgvY

This article has a section on dairy/lactose/casein intolerance (rare in the whey form).

Quote:
Overall, whey protein is much more than just a protein supplement. It builds muscle, improves glucose control, regulates immune function, lowers stress, and confers a ton of beneficial effects on people who consume it. Real food is the foundation for a healthy diet. But whey protein is much more than a muscle-builder and meal replacer. I’d argue that it deserves a spot on the “supplemental foods” list alongside egg yolks, liver, fatty fish, and all the other foods that are powerful and vital in small doses.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Mar-10-23 at 03:15.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-23, 04:22

Dr. Eenfeldt is Releasing select pages of the Hava app Satiety score.

Quote:
Do you like yogurt? Do you like to be strong and lean?

These things can be combined, but it really depends on what kind of yogurt you choose.

What you want is a version without added sugars (obviously) and also a yogurt with plenty of protein.

Fortunately, there is such a thing. It’s called Greek yogurt, and if you ask me, it’s awesome. 😍

A high protein percentage, low energy density, and low processing and hedonics make the ~JoinHava satiety score very high, 69.

What’s potentially even better? This is controversial, but if you choose a low-fat version, the satiety per calorie is even higher. It becomes an even more powerful tool for you to get strong, lean, and, if possible, metabolically healthier.

In fact, nonfat Greek yogurt gets an absurdly high ~JoinHava satiety score of 90(!). It boasts an impressive 70% protein (as a percentage of total calories).

Do you eat Greek yogurt? What’s your favorite way to eat it?

More

Are you curious about the satiety & protein content of any food? Learn more about satiety and check your favorites at the bottom of this page: hava.co/science

For more on satiety, follow ~JoinHava, and for early access to our satiety tools – coming soon – sign up at hava.co

On Twitter, many added their favorite ways to eat Non Fat Greek Yogurt. Add flavored protein powder, collagen powder, low fat cottage cheese, berries, spices like cinnamon, and my new add in (thanks to KeyTones) … a small handful of Catalina crunch cereal to replace higher calorie nuts.
Many eat this snack between two high protein meals, or as a dessert. As Ted Naiman has said, amount of Protein and Nutrients is most important, the timing secondary.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Oct-22-23 at 07:12.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-23, 12:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I used to make greek yogurt but I used half and half which came from a local dairy in glass bottles with no additives. I guess I’m a purist but I can’t imagine eating low fat greek yogurt. The greek yogurt I used to make was really quite wonderful. Although I have cut down some on how much fat I eat I just cannot get on the low fat band wagon. I eat 30%-40% protein and the rest is some combination of carbs and fat. Seems to work ok.
  #51   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-23, 13:06

I’m sure your Yogurt made with half-and-half was quite wonderful and you can keep it with HAVA … if the fat grams work for you. I put on a few pounds this month which will knock off now, so I am cutting back on fat. If someone else wanted to cut back on bacon, consider substituting, Canadian bacon, turkey bacon, lean ham, chicken or fish. A sliding scale of fat and yumminess… Your choice…The satiety score for those products will include the protein to energy ratio, energy density, micro nutrients, and the elusive hedonic factor and salt.

https://podcast.mikkiwilliden.com/164

Starting at minute 51, this podcast explains in great detail how The P:E Diet is now the all encompassing Satiety Per Calorie. Describes the four components to SPC, how it explains the success of every diet on earth, why 20 carbs rarely works long term, how SPC works in the real world. If anyone is going to try HAVA, this last part is a great explanation how it works, and why it continues to work for me in maintenance.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-23-23 at 07:27.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 03:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Although I have cut down some on how much fat I eat I just cannot get on the low fat band wagon. I eat 30%-40% protein and the rest is some combination of carbs and fat. Seems to work ok.

Sally K. Norton's low oxalate plan (which is working GREAT on my autoimmune -- six months in) has me emphasizing animal foods anyway, but I love whole milk Greek yogurt. A cup of that, two scoops of Naked Whey, and whatever fruit, ginger medallions, and/or small amounts of chocolate chips. I've calculated the oxalate and milk chocolate has the best flavor at the lowest amount, Hershey's the best quality. This creates a protein shake that really satisfies when I don't feel like I can choke down anything else.

If I leave out the blender and lemon juice and make it in a bowl it's pudding!

My high cortisol creates appetite problems. I can legitimately feel like I don't have the energy to digest actual meat, but a "milkshake" has the same palate appeal of ice cream. Only this is actually good for me! After that's digested, I have the energy for "tougher" food.

Yet, every time I try to cut down the fat, I crave it madly. But this makes sense if I'm in ketosis. Fat is what I'm running on, and I no longer have excess body fat to burn.
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 07:15

Quote:
Yet, every time I try to cut down the fat, I crave it madly. But this makes sense if I'm in ketosis. Fat is what I'm running on, and I no longer have excess body fat to burn.

Even if you are not in "ketosis" aren’t you slightly underweight now?Your body will crave energy…fat or carbs. When Dr Naiman gets down to his lean body weight, he adds back breakfast or a snack.
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 09:20

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Even if you are not in "ketosis" aren’t you slightly underweight now?Your body will crave energy…fat or carbs. When Dr Naiman gets down to his lean body weight, he adds back breakfast or a snack.

Yes. I weighed in underweight! and got told to add carbs

I gained enough back that I'm no longer in the dangerous category. But while I enjoyed the gain I must cut back now. I know what I need to eat to gain, but not yet maintain. Always the trickiest part

Still, cutting back was not the issue I had feared. I can drop back to my previous, lower carb, level and not get hungry. So I'm sure I can figure it out.
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 10:28

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I used to make greek yogurt but I used half and half which came from a local dairy in glass bottles with no additives. I guess I’m a purist but I can’t imagine eating low fat greek yogurt. The greek yogurt I used to make was really quite wonderful. Although I have cut down some on how much fat I eat I just cannot get on the low fat band wagon. I eat 30%-40% protein and the rest is some combination of carbs and fat. Seems to work ok.
I make L.reuteri yoghurt using single cream, the UK equivalent of half and half, with an 18% fat content, and it tends to come out the consistency of Greek yoghurt. Sometimes I might add in some double (heavy) cream with a fat content of around 48% and the consistency becomes more like a cream cheese. Definitely not low fat options!

On the other hand, I often eat low fat Greek yoghurt when I'm travelling but I do add whey protein and collagen to it for the higher protein content.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-23, 02:57

BF:

DH and I still laugh at the fat-free half and half I accidentally picked up. That's... skim milk.

People who only know nutrition from the propaganda are completely missing the point.

Last edited by WereBear : Wed, Oct-25-23 at 02:02.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Oct-24-23, 21:34

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I find 0% fat greek yogurt or whey isolate in water shakes go straight through me, which just makes for expensive diarrhea. Yet 2% greek yogurt with the same amount of whey isolate gives the texture of pudding and sticks around, gets digested, and leaves me feeling full & satisfied.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-23, 02:53

Deidra, that's odd. I hear more about dairy causing constipation, lactose intolerance diarrhea, but not a 2% difference in fat. No idea what that means but buy the 2% and enjoy it. 😊

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Oct-25-23 at 05:33.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-23, 07:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
DH and I still laugh at the fat-free half and half I accidentally picked up. That's... skim milk.

People who only know nutrition from the propaganda are completely missing the point.

Non-fat half and half is absurd since half and half is half cream half whole milk. By definition it contains fat.

I found this definition of non-fat half and half:

"Nonfat half-and-half is actually misleadingly named, as it doesn’t contain any cream. Instead, it’s nonfat milk that’s been treated with corn syrup and thickeners to approximate the taste and texture of regular half-and-half. It has half the calories of regular half-and-half but twice the amount of sodium."

Definitely something to stay away from.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, Oct-26-23, 04:30

BF:

What is the point except fooling oneself? DH poured it out. I think his tastebuds have improved!

It's a lesson in always reading what I'm buying. The cartons were identical, except for small print in one place.