Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/197/130
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default 12 year old wants to try LC

My 12 year old son wants to try to LC with me.
He is overweight and very self-concious about it.
He says he is willing to take his lunch to school, if I make it.

What I'm worried what will happen when he sneaks a coke or candy bar on top of all the fat thats allowed on this diet, and what will he do when he goes with his friends to the pizza place down the street.

The most important thing I'm worried about I guess, is that he not gain any more weight.

I've thought about having a family weigh in each day, to see if he's sticking to it, but that seems like I would be making too big of an issue about it.

What do you guys think ? Have you had any similar experiences. ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-18-02, 11:30
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post My daughter

My daughter is low carbing with me and she has a sweet tooth unfortunately. She goes to the store behind my back and buys 5-6 shocktarts or boxes of jawbreakers. She does this almost each week. In the last month she has gained 10lbs. I tried to explain that is why she jumped up in weight. She's trying to cut out sugar... I wonder if sugar addiction is a genetic thing?
I'm seriously thinking of dropping her fat consumption till she gets that sugar under control. I stopped giving her money (unless I'm with her) in efforts to bring her addiction to her attention.Oh my Daugher is 14.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-19-02, 21:16
Registered Member

Stats: 200/197/130
BF:
Progress: 4%

Well I guess that answers my question, maybe I'll wait untill he's a little older, and in the meantime just try and cut his fat intake.

Thank You !
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:36

Plan: Gluten free wholefoods
Stats: 173/145/147 Female 5"4.5 inches
BF:37/?/25
Progress: 108%

Or you could feed him food low on the glycemic index. This way he would still have carbs and less sugar but eating pizza or ice cream with friends wouldn't be a total disaster. The G- Index Diet book might help you.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 06:08

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

My 11 yo son wasn't seriously overweight, but pretty pudgy and soft as he never exercises much. I put him on the maintenance level of Somersizing. He has mostly given up high glycemic value foods that she terms "funky." He eats whole grains. I make meals that are primarly protein and veggies and he is allowed to add a small amount of carb. He still eats real pizza on occasion and other junk kids eat, but I'm teaching him to make choices that are healthier---if he wants to eat pizza he should have water, not soda. A little real ice cream after dinner is okay, but forgo the bread at that meal. I have him eat fruit on an empty stomach as well as junk like halloween candy. That way it's not mixed with as much other stuff to get stored as fat. His weight has stablilized and he has trimmed down. Sadly, he still needs muscle tone and we don't seem to be able to build any, even with his little workout he does.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Trifle!

Have you considered Carbohydrate Addict's for kids? Your son could still have his reward meal and eat the things that 12 year olds eat, but he would learn to balance it and make good choices the rest of the time. I'm currently reading "Carbohydrate Addicted Kids" and it makes a lot of sense to me. For it to really work, though, he would also have to read the book and agree to abide by the rules of that WOE (no cheating when it's not reward meal time!) or it will backfire. Just another option to consider....
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 07:54

Plan: Low Carb/14-1/2 inches lost!
Stats: 186/161/155
BF:
Progress: 81%

Imagine my surprise when I clicked on this board to see a post titled exactly what I was going to post! My son is also 12 years old and overweight. I have been LC'ing for almost a year and have been slowly changing things in the house and the way we eat for some time now, although I do still make seperate meals for dinner. Well, now my son is in and came to me this morning and said, "Mom, I want to eat what you eat for breakfast, pack what you eat for lunch...and we'll work on dinner!" This morning he had bacon and eggs (no toast). For lunch he took rolled beef, a cheese stick and a boiled egg. Thanks Lisa for suggesting the "Carb Addicts for Kids", I think I'll go buy it right now for that extra little help I need. I don't want to start out on the wrong foot and make a big deal out of it and then make him miserable.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 11:07

Stats: 268/185/145
BF:
Progress: 67%

I have a 13 year old son, who did LC with me 2 years ago, and that was a disaster.. He being 11 years old, and a carb addict like his mother made it all the worse.. He used to sneak it in school and even under my nose. I could not figure out why we (my partner and I) were losing, but my child wasn't..
Found out after I stopped LC the first time when my son told me he was eating what I fed him, plus the junk!!!
Flash forward to July of this year when Iwas diagnosed with diabetes and I started LCing again in around the beginning of August. I found out that my son had a 1 in 2 chance of developing diabetes with me being a diabetic and the family history.
I also have to add that when I shopped for school clothes for him he was in a tight 38 inch waist!!! Not a healthy sign..
I sat him down and gave him a choice and explained to him that I loved him so very much, I wanted to save him from some of the things I went through in my growing up years. Kids can be cruel, and diabetes is no joke.
We went to our family Dr. (one who whole heartedly approves of LC eating especially for diabetics) and he was all for my son going on the program with me, with a few exceptions.
Since he is still growing, he must have 8 oz of milk a day plus no induction and to keep his total carbs per day to 75-100 grams.
I am happy to say that my son is now in style - those size 38 waist pants now hang on him.. He has lost 25 pounds and is now
maintaining his weight.
He eats lunch at school, but knows that what ever carbs he is eating is all that he gets in a day. He has a LC breakfast at home and dinner is LC also.
He has learned that if he wants to go out with friends to eat pizza, that he needs to then watch what he consumes for the next few days.
If your child is really commited and wants to do this, then you should let him try it, but explain as I did, this is not a diet, but a WOL.
Family weigh ins don't sound like a good idea (in my opinion).. it seems like it would be looked upon as mom doesn't trust me.
You can't be a policeman, if he really wants it and it is not forced on him, he will be ok.
2 years ago I forced my son, and it backfired. Now that I gave him the option, he took to it wonderfully.
Good luck!!!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 12:25

BF:

Wonderful advice Laurie I have never even brought it up to my son but lately HE has been the one asking about this WOL. This morning he asked me could he eat unlimited amounts of things that didn't have carbs in it?! Then he ask about "pizza day" at school, how many peices could he have? I told him to take what he normally eats (2-3 slices) and maybe just eat the topping off the last piece instead of another whole piece and that would make it better. My son has never been a milk drinker but he loves cheese and yogurt. He loves salad and cottage cheese but very few green vegetables. I don't think I'll obsess or tell him he can't have something more than I'll just quit buying some of the things I have been that are still high carb/junk food. He likes apples, raw carrots dips in ranch dressing, boiled eggs, cheese sticks, rolled ham, boiled chicken.....it shouldn't be too hard. Maybe we'll try LC breakfast and lunch and reward dinners. He also needs more exercise as he is a computer nut. What doesn't help is that it is dark less than an hour after I get off work due to the time change. I love late night summer walks, but that will have to wait.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-13-02, 14:44

BF:
Smile Sounds like a plan

Sounds like a great way to start. My son wasn't a milk drinker either until her started doing LC, now he loves that glass in the morning.
I am very lucky, he has always loved his veggies, even as a toddler he would ask me when he was going to have trees (his name for broccoli!)!
George (my son) is also a computer geek, and it is like pulling teeth to get him out of the house.
The first step in getting him on a WOL is stopping the buying the HC junk.. I did that before he made the decision to go LC, and at first he grumbled and said there was nothing to eat, but then I noticed he stopped complaining and started reaching for the string cheese and celery w/ ranch dressing with out making a fuss.
Once it is not there, and they detox like we have, it becomes second nature.
Let me know how he does, and if you would like, I could have my son talk with him and let him know how much better he feels
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 08:24

BF:

Thanks Laurie for the great advice. Yesterday he came home from school STARVING! I told him it was probably because he had a HC lunch. He had a snack of 1 pickle, 1 boiled egg, cheese stick and some boiled turkey breast. Then for dinner he wanted bacon and eggs w/ toast and a bowl of cottage cheese. I don't think my son has had his growth spurt yet, when they start it are the STARVING all the time?! LOL He likes to eat cheese and pepperoni melted together in the microwave also. Only thing I really regret was when he was little For some DUMB reason I always offered him a bedtime snack. Now he asks for it, even if we've eaten late. Sometimes he does forget and I don't say anything hoping he'll get out of that bad habit. It's terrible to say but what am I still buying all those HC items? I am the sole shopper, why do I continue to make those choices that are bad for him? It's like shoppers guilt! When I'm there I just keep thinking of everything he would like. I just have to get out of that habit and slowly but surely replace some of those things with better alternatives.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-14-02, 09:18

BF:

Sounds to me you are a lot like me.. I used to get shoppers guilt big time before we all got really into this WOL.
I used to think I was terrible that I wouldn't buy just one little HC item for him to enjoy as a reward for doing so well.
I started thinking about it and realized rewarding with HC food was doing him an actual disservice, it was giving him double meanings and keeping him from seeing that this is a long term commitment.
My son is always starving after school ( the days he buys), and I think you hit the nail on the head when you mentioned he must have had a HC lunch in school. Maybe you should try sending him with his lunch a few days a week, and see if he comes home as famished as he does when he eats the school food.
My son takes boiled eggs, celery, carrot sticks, cheese and some pepperoni the days he brings his lunch. The days he does this, he is not looking in the fridge the minute he gets in the door.
I too grew up with having to have a bedtime snack, and I in turn started doing it with my son. We have adjusted our schedule to where we eat dinner about 2 hours before his bedtime. He still looks to having a snack before bed, and we sometimes have a big hissy fit or tantrum, but I do win out lol, I have learned I am the mom, and he is the child. Standing firm has taken a long time for me to develop, but I know that I am doing the right thing.
You may want to try what I did, which was taking him shopping and let him pick out the LC foods he would like to be eating. He may pout a bit when you stay clear of the chips and sweets, but after awhile it is such a high to see them picking the cheese and meats that are LC. My son now reads labels with me and will point out to me if something has more then 1 gram of carb per serving!
I also told him, if he feels he is not getting enough to eat, then we can go back to him counting calories, fats etc and be eating half or less then what he is eating now.
Being "hungry" all the time this is not what he wants to do, he wants to be able to snack and not have to be limited on portions.
George has been in a growth spurt on and off for the past year, and being a bottomless pit goes with the territory.. You just have to help him decide what it is that he wants to put in the pit lol!!!
Hope this helps a bit.
Have a great day
Laurie