Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#136   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I'm not worried...I follow the DANDR book, and everything Dr. Atkins said would happened, happened, and I feel fine.
I think they ARE trying to make the diet more palatable ): to the scientists who can't look a fact in the face and still carry on about too much fat, what kind, etc, when research seems to indicate it's transfats that are the problem.
Yes, they probably are trying to get a larger market share, and while it does get the word out, makes doctors more comfortable recommending the diet, I hate to see people lie in a good cause.
It's all about comfort zones and PR, not the science. So I'm going to just keep on doing what I'm doing. Besides, this could backfire on them...already I've been asked "What does it mean? Have I been doing it wrong? Was Dr. Atkins wrong?"
This is the kind of thing that makes me think they can't back down without looking stupid.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:44

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hey, right after my post I found out that the Atkins people say they didn't say that!
I'm glad.
  #138   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 07:57

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I found that out this morning also and I sent an e-mail to our local station telling them that and that maybe they would like to read on the Atkins site the real story and be among the first to repute the story. I will see if it works.

Linda
  #139   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:25

Stats: 193/179/165 Male 68 inches
BF:26.5%
Progress: 50%

Well if it is true that Colette Heimowitz, head of the Atkins Center, is telling people around the country that people on the Atkins Diet, should not consume more than 20% of saturated fat in their diet, then she should provide the new study that supports the change in the Atkins Diet plan, or she should be fired.

Dr. Atkins never promoted this way of eating according to marketing stratergies, but according to sound science.
  #140   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 09:33

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

[QUOTE=JimR-OCDS]Well if it is true that Colette Heimowitz, head of the Atkins Center, is telling people around the country that people on the Atkins Diet, should not consume more than 20% of saturated fat in their diet, then she should provide the new study that supports the change in the Atkins Diet plan, or she should be fired.QUOTE]

I agree. This is messed up. If this is not true, why aren't they raising hell with the NYT instead of simply posting on the web and to members?

If Ms Heimowitz DID say this and it's not the company line she should be disciplined and/or fired. If she didn't then they should be sending out recants to ALL the news outlets (at least in the US) emphasizing that she was mis-quoted. And they should specify what she said that was mis-quoted!
  #141   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:05

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here is the answer from the Atkins Site

Atkins has NOT changed

http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/...NotChanged.html
  #142   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:07

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here is the answer from the Atkins Site

Atkins has NOT changed

http://atkins.com/about/recentnews/...NotChanged.html
  #143   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:16

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

They should make this a sticky for a couple weeks until everyone gets the message.

--nw
  #144   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 10:57
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

I noticed the the Daily Express newspaper here in the UK had a full page advertisement yesterday for Atkins Nutritionals. There were pictures of various food items including veg, fish, poultry strawberries etc as well as products from the Atkins range under the title "Who says you can only eat meat on the Atkins Diet?".
  #145   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 11:03
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I will tell you that I eat beef about 5 out of 7 days a week and my cholesteral hasn't been this low: 76 and my good cholesteral is now 60 so I'm happy as I eat. I do like fish and chicken but beef is my favorite.
  #146   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:34

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Dr. George L. Blackburn, associate director in the division of nutrition at Harvard Medical School, said the diet's new version is "definitely healthier," but that "all of the studies we have on Atkins are based on the Atkins of the 1970's: eat all you can as long as you keep carbs out."

Okay...for anyone who has a copy of the 1970's book...is the "eat all you can..." statement true. Next question..."all of the studies we have on Atkins are based on the Atkins of the 1970's:..." Is this true?
  #147   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:41

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: // Male 65 centimeters
BF:25/17/10
Progress: 91%

My 2cent . Like many others I've deep respect for DR. Atkins. I just
TRUST him (after my homework)

Did you notice the candid smile on his face. I'm glad to receive
the email that ANA has not changed.

neeam
  #148   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 13:46

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote: " Is this true?
Quote:
Dr. George L. Blackburn, associate director in the division of nutrition at Harvard Medical School, said the diet's new version is "definitely healthier," but that "all of the studies we have on Atkins are based on the Atkins of the 1970's: eat all you can as long as you keep carbs out."
Okay...for anyone who has a copy of the 1970's book...is the "eat all you can..." statement true. Next question..."all of the studies we have on Atkins are based on the Atkins of the 1970's:...

This was my post...don't misunderstand. I am trying to find out if the esteemed NYT has screwed up...again.
  #149   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:23

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

Has anyone written to ANA to ask if Colette Heimowitz did or did not specifically make the 20% claim? The statemnt on the ATkins site isn't clear. Even the article says that she says the diet hasn't changed, just been clariefied. The "defense" article at ATkins says the "diet" hasn't changed but doesn't mention the validity or falsehood of the 20% statement at all. i'd like a yes or no answer to that question and an explanation of where it came from.
  #150   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 15:39

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I read elsewhere that she had said that AN analyzed all the DANDR recipes and found that the sat fats percentage was 20%...so perhaps she was answering a question with this statement and it was then misinterpreted.

But I agree with you, she should clarify this specifically for us.

Val