Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sat, Mar-14-15, 12:48

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
But there are studies that show ketogenic diets shrink brain tumors.

Absolutely in rodents, and some case studies and anecdotal evidence in humans. But we still need some larger controlled intervention studies. Or barring that, enough of Dr. Colin Champ's patients doing better than expected on the ketogenic diet. Sometimes things are obvious without double-blinded studies--like when Dr. Bernstein originally gave himself perfect blood glucose using the feedback from a home glucose monitor.

Personally, I think this whole thing will be borne out, and if the studies are allowed to be done, a protective effect will be found. But I say think, not know.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 06:28

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:

I find this letter both interesting and maddening, given the date. I just stumbled on it looking at another letter on the same page.

Quote:
BRITISH MEDICAL JOURNAL 28 APRIL 1979

Quote:
Nutrition and cancer
SIR,-Your leading article on malnutrition
and cancer (7 April, p 912) reminds us that the
cachexia of cancer is wrongly compared with
the state of starvation. Starvation is a hypometabolic
state in which there is a reduction
in the turnover of carbohydrate, fat, and
protein stores.' Ketone bodies appear to
play a major regulatory role.' On the other
hand, cancer cachexia is a hypermetabolic
state3 with increases in glycolysis, gluconeogenesis,
lipolysis, and protein catabolism.4 5
Moreover, ketosis is an uncommon phenomenon
in cancer patients (personal observations).
Using intravenous lipid solutions, we
induced ketosis for eight days in a patient
who had advanced hepatic cancer and peritoneal
metastases. During that time she
received only 56 percent of her usual calorie intake.
However, she did not experience any change
in her body weight, abdominal girth, or
general well-being. Furthermore, she felt
sated for the first time in months. Her serum
albumin concentration gradually increased
and her urinary and serum urea concentrations
decreased, suggesting a reduction in endogenous
protein catabolism. Neither hypoglycaemia
nor lactic acidosis was observed.
Ketone bodies have been shown to reduce
the growth, in culture, of transformed
lymphoblasts from Burkitt's lymphoma and
this effect is reversible, non-toxic, and
proportional to the concentration of the
ketone body up to 20mM.6 Normal cells are
also known to have reduced cell growth rates
in starvation.7 8 In leukaemia patients it has
been shown that elevations in the proportion
of immature cells in the bloodstream can be
correlated with elevations in the basal metabolic
rate.9
Surely these experimental findings raise the
question: are forced feeding regimens for the
treatment of advanced cancer metabolically
sound? We have commenced a clinical trial
to evaluate the role of hypometabolic (that is,
ketotic) states in cancer therapy.
R A J CONYERS
A G NEED
A M ROFE
N POTEZNY
R J KIMBER
  #93   ^
Old Sun, Mar-15-15, 06:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Gosh, teaser, that's amazing. I wonder what happened?!?!?
  #94   ^
Old Fri, Apr-03-15, 07:56

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Excellent Show Notes and Links with this podcast by The Quantified Body. Interview with Dr. Thomas Seyfried, "Water Fasts" as a Potential Tactic to Beat Cancer
http://thequantifiedbody.net/cancer...homas-seyfried/
  #95   ^
Old Sat, Apr-25-15, 09:32

Amy Berger of Tuit Nutrition posted a video lesson on the metabolic theory of cancer (Dr Seyfried's IHMC lecture previously posted) but with additional helpful explanations of his slides. Her series on cancer has been excellent, and still on-going if you want to catch up.
http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2015/0...ncer-video.html
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Feb-21-17, 13:18

Tripping Over the Truth by Travis Christofferson was re-published in a new 2nd edition early this month. Dr Eades wrote an excellent book review about it, including a simple overview of the Metabolic theory of cancer, starting at the section "The War on Cancer". Even though I have the first edition, his review has convinced me to buy the new edition.
https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...over-the-truth/
The ketogenic diet for cancer by Miriam Kalamian that is in the appendix has minor adjustments to Dr. Westman's basic VLC plan specific to cancer I found useful. Food list also on her wenbsite: http://www.dietarytherapies.com/faqs22.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Feb-22-17 at 07:35.
  #97   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 14:53

Started reading the second edition last night, it is basically a new forward, afterword and appendixes wrapped around the original book. In the afterword, which catches up on the past two years of new cancer treatment information, Christofferson mentioned that Dr. Seyfried would soon be publishing his new work on Press-Pulse treatments for cancers...and here it is:

Quote:
Can a ketogenic diet help stop or at least slow down cancer? Many people believe it can be an important part of the treatment.

Read all about the super exciting research in this new article:

http://nutritionandmetabolism.biome...2986-017-0178-2

https://www.dietdoctor.com/press-pu...top-slow-cancer

Quote:
Press-pulse: a novel therapeutic strategy for the metabolic management of cancer
Thomas N. Seyfried, George Yu, Joseph C. Maroon and Dominic P. D’Agostino

Abstract

Background
A shift from respiration to fermentation is a common metabolic hallmark of cancer cells. As a result, glucose and glutamine become the prime fuels for driving the dysregulated growth of tumors. The simultaneous occurrence of “Press-Pulse” disturbances was considered the mechanism responsible for reduction of organic populations during prior evolutionary epochs. Press disturbances produce chronic stress, while pulse disturbances produce acute stress on populations. It was only when both disturbances coincide that population reduction occurred.

Methods
This general concept can be applied to the management of cancer by creating chronic metabolic stresses on tumor cell energy metabolism (press disturbance) that are coupled to a series of acute metabolic stressors that restrict glucose and glutamine availability while also stimulating cancer-specific oxidative stress (pulse disturbances). The elevation of non-fermentable ketone bodies protect normal cells from energy stress while further enhancing energy stress in tumor cells that lack the metabolic flexibility to use ketones as an efficient energy source. Mitochondrial abnormalities and genetic mutations make tumor cells vulnerable metabolic stress.

Results
The press-pulse therapeutic strategy for cancer management is illustrated with calorie restricted ketogenic diets (KD-R) used together with drugs and procedures that create both chronic and intermittent acute stress on tumor cell energy metabolism, while protecting and enhancing the energy metabolism of normal cells.

Conclusions
Optimization of dosing, timing, and scheduling of the press-pulse therapeutic strategy will facilitate the eradication of tumor cells with minimal patient toxicity. This therapeutic strategy can be used as a framework for the design of clinical trials for the non-toxic management of most cancers.
  #98   ^
Old Wed, Mar-01-17, 17:08

Plan: atkins/paleo/IF
Stats: 186.5/159.0/160 Male 5' 11"
BF:

Thanks Jey. I love Eades' book reviews and have read some good stuff cuz of him. I just bought it and also Fung's fasting book
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-27-17, 08:22

New short interview with Dr. Angela Poff from this year's Metabolic Therapeutics Conference.

"Can You Treat Cancer with Low Carb?

Can a ketogenic diet be helpful in cancer treatment? There are many reasons to believe this, e.g. that nearly all cancer cells burn lots of sugar, and grow more under the influence of high insulin levels. You could say that most cancer cells are addicted to carbs, for optimal growth.
I (Dr. Eenfeldt) sat down with Dr. Angela Poff, one of the top experts in the field, and it turned into a very enlightening interview."

https://www.dietdoctor.com/member/interviews/poff

Her talk from LC USA is posted on this same page.

Long, more complex interview on YouTube with Mike Mutzel, High Intensity Health. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKsoKtkvChA Jan 2017.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-27-17 at 08:35.
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-17, 05:25

Learned of a new book to be published next month.

The Metabolic Approach to Cancer: Integrating Deep Nutrition, the Ketogenic Diet, and Nontoxic Bio-Individualized Therapies
by Dr. Nasha Winters.

https://www.amazon.com/Metabolic-Ap...d/dp/1603586865

Her website, Optimal Terrain, http://optimalterrainconsulting.com already has extensive information about her approach and preview blog posts about some of the chapters in the book. Good reviews of the book by many of the well-known leaders in Cancer as a Metabolic Disease.

Alison Gannett has used Dr Winters protocol and writes/speaks about it. http://www.alisongannett.com
  #101   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 10:21

The book mentioned in the previous post was published May 24th. It is currently the #1 new release in Amazon's Oncology ranking.
Heard a good podcast interview about it with the Two Keto Dudes http://2ketodudes.com/show.aspx?episode=68 , the first interview I have heard so far, but her website has more information. http://optimalterrainconsulting.com
Also her patient Alison Gannett has information on her website about the extensive naturopathic therapies in addition to the Ketogenic Diet used in her treatment. http://www.alisongannett.com/conquer-cancer/

The book's co-author is Jess Higgins Kelley at RemissionNutrition. https://www.remissionnutrition.com
First I have heard of her and happy that there are more cancer nutritionists using a Ketogenic Diet, however some aspects of her advice wander into more controversial super-foods, toxin removal, etc.
Same with Dr. Mercola's new book, Fat for Fuel: A Revolutionary Diet to Combat Cancer, Boost Brain Power, and Increase Your Energy
  #102   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 10:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Janet - Do you think that there needs to be a more nuanced approach to the nutritional treatment of cancer? Is cancer too large a term, covering too many somewhat disparate problems that all get linked under the one name? I happen to believe that eating a ketogenic diet is a healthy way to eat but does that mean it is equally beneficial for all people diagnosed with cancer? One of the reasons I ask is that the doctors who are treating my granddaughter say that they have been unable to find any kind of trigger for Ewings Sarcoma, toxins in the environment, nutrition, genetics, none of them pan out. It leaves me puzzled. I do wish that Alice would eat a low carb diet but my advice would not be welcome. She isn't eating junk and given her lack of appetite you would have to be pretty committed to stick with a ketogenic diet. Still I wonder about it all, not that there is anything I can do about it.

Jean
  #103   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 12:17

Most researchers I’ve read admit that response is widely variable by cancer types. Dr. Eugene Fine (think it was in a interview about his study) wondered if the extent of a PET response could even predict which cancers might do better based on the extent of tumor glucose uptake seen on the scan. There are population studies linking some cancers to obesity, and a possible association for hormonal cancers to hyperinsulinemia. I believe in this podcast Dr Winters talks a bit about different types. One of her clients mentioned, Matthew, has a sarcoma. The benefit of fasting around the chemo treatment (which happens naturally with the illness or by being on a ketogenic diet) possibly helps make both the body more responsive to the chemo and reduces chemo-toxicity. This is what oncology nutritionists want to optimize as an adjuvant to standard treatment, the tolerance to chemo and avoiding the negative side effects.
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Jun-04-17, 13:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Thanks Janet. I now understand that there are at least 2 possible conversations that one could have about diet and cancer. One has to do with a direct treatment of cancer through a ketogenic approach (Dr Fine, Dr Seyfried, Dr D'agostino et al) and the other with the amelioration of chemo toxicity as well as responsiveness to the chemo itself, with the latter what oncology nutritionists focus on.

Jean
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jun-07-17, 17:53

Plan: Atkins / Keto / ZC
Stats: 182/130/130 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jean, it must be terribly frustrating, but people (even if they are ill) get to choose. Gah. I was diagnosed with Stage IIb Ovarian Cancer last year (almost 9 months ago). The doctors thought me mad for declining chemo.
I have been LCHF (keto) for four years and have lost about 55 lb. But I got cancer anyway.
I am also seeing a Naturopath, Michelle Glassbrook, in relation to building up my immune system and getting my body working again. She uses a Theratest Machine to read the electrical resistance (or is it current) through pressure points on fingers and toes. It is quite remarkable.

I take ASEA, spread Renu 28 on my belly, take liquid herb mixtures based on Theratest readings, drink Gumby Gumby tea, cod liver oil, Potassium and Enzymes.
Of course time will tell.
Oh. I quit drinking alcohol well before diagnosis as I was not feeling right and thought a rest from wine would help. LOL. I dropped 15 lb in about six to seven weeks. My backside disappeared rapidly. I still can't believe my eyes when I look in the mirror. Husband can't quite believe his luck. His wife has transformed into some vixen.