Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 09:06

Plan: LC Fast-5 with refeeds
Stats: 219/125/120 Female 5'6
BF:Almost to goal!
Progress: 95%
Default Help, I need some motivation. And I have a couple Questions....

I have tried this diet before, in fact like 5 times, since I was 17. Everytime I do it, I give up because the weight loss isn't extremely fast, and I feel like nothing is happening.

Well, as you can see, I have lost a lot of weight and I'm now at a low weight. I did low-cab, low-fat pretty much to get there. I have been struggling with the last 10 pounds for almost 3 years now. I can't seem to get there because I will low-carb for 2 or 3 days and then cheat/binge and gain my weight back. Causing the annoying cycle I'm sure most of you know about.

My first concern is: If I'm already at a low weight, how the heck is this gonna take off my last 10 pounds? Or could this even work for me at this point? I have diet rules programmed into my head which makes me skeptical, even though I trust all the scientific backing that the Hellers give. (I just finished reading CAD last night, for the 3rd time, and I have read CALP)

I really want to give CAD a try again, if not to just break the habit of my binge eating. I know I'm burnt out on LC and my body wants to do something else, something actually healthy.

I just wanted to know if anyone has "been there, and done that". And has any incouraging words.

I'm also toying with the idea of just a Reward meal everyday, and skipping CMs. Could this potentially be a bad idea?

I also take a supplement that has as "other ingredients" (which I'm assuming is in a small amount) of Dextrose and Starch. Could this be detrimental to my efforts as well? The amount is very small, it's half a pill a day.

Thank you for any advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 09:14

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Hello, HelloErin!

I haven't BTDT on losing the last 10 lbs. on CAD--traditionally, I used to starve myself for my last 10 lbs. NO MORE. But anyway...I did want to let you know that unless you actually are a carb addict, CAD won't work for you. So take the Carbohydrate Addict's Test first if you want to see whether CAD is a possibility for you.

If it is, then sure, it should take off the last 10 lbs. We have a woman here named enomarb who, besides being very nice and very funny, is also very thin. She actually went a couple of pounds beyond her goal, I think.

Tips for losing no matter what weight you start at:

1. Try to eat your veggies with each meal. If you can't stand veggies with breakfast, at least eat them with your CM or CMs and with your RM.

2. DO NOT make your RM a carb fest. The general rule is: starting salad, PLUS 1/3 plate of LC veggies, 1/3 plate protein and 1/3 carb. I personally feel that this balancing will hold all the more true for someone who is already pretty slender, as you are. A body that is slim will hold on to its stores a bit more, at least in my experience (I've been as light as 95 lbs. during my adult lifetime).

3. Don't do "little cheats" "just to get through the day".

4. Start with two CMs and one RM. If you're not losing at all, and I mean at all...because CAD is in fact somewhat slow, though not ridiculously slow....you can go to one CM and one RM.

5. Read the book cover to cover.

Good luck! I hope you join us! I LOVE this WOE. I lost 20 lbs. on it fairly easily before I got pregnant with my littlest son. If you want to check my journal to see how things went for me, start on about Page 2 (I think), because I switched over to CAD fairly early on after starting my journal. I kept a daily progress check there.

Nice to meet you!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 09:27

Thanks so much! Yeah, I took the test and I scored 52/60 which was severe addiction. I struggle with it from day to day, but I literally grit my teeth and hang on by a thread just to get through a day of LC. It wasn't always that hard for me, I used to go days with eating LC and not much of it. The book said extreme dieting and rapid weight loss can trigger a carb addiction, so I have a feeling thats what happened.

I am trying to focus on health and break the habit of binge eating, so I will make sure to always balance. I think if I throw in some exercise, it should do great for me as well.

Thanks for your reply!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 10:34
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi Erin-
If you are really doing this for your health, why not focus on your health and feeling better and stabilizing your eatng and see what happens to the weight? It just sounds to me that what you are doing is not working, so why not try something else? Let go of the idea that you are supposed to lose 10 more pounds. See what happens-
and welcome!
E
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 11:13

Yes, that is great idea actually. Every time I have lost weight in the past, it was because I didn't think much about it. But I know what your saying, (it was about health rather than weight loss) and I need to accept myself where I am weight wise anyway. I'm not overweight, but I guess we all have this "magic number" we strive for. I actually could be very happy where I am now, if I stayed there.

I'm afraid I will gain weight, but I guess I'll deal with that when or if it happens, and I will adjust the plan. I think I'm expecting a gain or a stall, and I need to just stay positive and visualize the plan working for me.

Cause I KNOW I'm a carbohydrate addict, I CERTAINLY relate to not being able to eat like a normal person. I was always baffeled that people were able to eat a little of this and stop, or feel satisfied. Or the fact that they didn't get tired when they had something with carbs in the middle of the day. So at least I know this WOE could make me feel normal again.

I just need to realize that I can be at maintenance now, and it's okay. I have been fighting this weight battle since I was 16, about 10 years. So the idea of NOT being on a diet is very hard for me. I need to think more along the lines of a lifestyle.

Thanks Enomarb!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 13:53
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

you are welcome! You have been sooooo successful at losing, but maintaining is a whole other deal. No rewards of having the scale go down. Just staying the same. There is a maintainance area on the site too- lots of good ideas- albeit mostly re Atkins. There is a weekly weigh-in thread and lots fo general threads. Come on over. Also, post a lot here- it helps to be accountable to someone.