Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/241/140
BF:
Progress: 4%
Default Why can't I stick.

Please help. I've done this low carb thing 4 times. each time I start out great - I lose weight feel wonderful and then something like a chocolate chip cookie kills it. I don't know what's happened to my will power. Once I take that first step back there is no stopping me from the fall. I've started low carbing again today - after 5 months of carb binging. Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid failure? I have to do this right this time. I need to lose 100 lbs - more if possible. I weigh 245 lbs. I want to start trying to have a baby but I can't possibly put my already overburdened body through that yet. I'm determined to lose 60 lbs. before I even consider getting pregnant. That's my goal I just need to find a way to accomplish it. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 17:31
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%
Smile

Hi Miki,

You can do this! Start by reading "Success Stories" (on the orange bar at the top of the screen) for some motivation.

How about reducing the amount you have to lose to more manageable goals? For example, your first goal could be to get below 240. It's often easier to think of small intermediate goals than a big "lump" of a goal like 100lbs.

Are you taking your supplements? I find that L-Glutamine is extremely helpful in fighting off sweet cravings.

Are you drinking plenty of water? On this site, we recommend at least 64oz + 8oz for every extra 25 lbs you need to lose.
Apart from keeping you well hydrated and helping to prevent fluid retention, drinking plenty of water helps you to feel full.

One more suggestion Miki. Have you rid your house of "carbage?" When I started I packed up boxes of rice, pasta, flours etc and gave them all away. I know there have been many times when I would have weakened and used some of those things had they been here to tempt me.

My last suggestion is to start a journal here. I personally find that recording everything I eat to be a big help psychologically. It's also a great way for others to "visit."

All the very best to you!

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 245/241/140
BF:
Progress: 4%

Thank you for the suggestions. I am taking vitamins and have eliminated temptation throughout my house. I hope these things work - you know how easy it is to do a midnight run to the store for a pint of ben&jerry's - maybe I should post a sign on the door that says think first or something. I hadn't thought of journaling. I guess I'll check out the pages on this site next. Thanks again.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:17
Registered Member

Stats: 198/188.6/150
BF:41
Progress: 20%
Default I agree with journal

I have to say that I have been far from perfect with LC eating and I have only been doing this for a few weeks but I definitely agree with the importance of journaling. It helps for planning what you are going to eat ahead of time AND be aware of exactly what you put in your mouth. Just a means of being held accountable. Try to check it out when you get a chance.

As far as getting off track after several months, cant help you with that. Other than, check out all the recipes online and be creative. I recently did this myself and it got me more excited about my options. Although I think the splenda triggered cravings, which is why I caved the last 2 days. Now I know to stay away from recipes with this and will obviously have to start over AGAIN.....

The alternative is to gain weight and be unhappy for yet another holiday season...

You can do this - hang in there
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 21:09
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Miki,

>>"Does anyone have suggestions about how to avoid failure?"

If I did, I'd publish the book and become a multi-millionaire. It's tough; no one's the same and we all have different reasons for falling off the wagon.

One thing you'll want to do is make sure it's a permanant lifestyle change. I know everyone says that, but you really have to accept and mourn that your body simply can't handle carbs without storing a lot of fat, and it will be that way for the rest of your life. It doesn't mean you can never have carby stuff again, but you have to consider it a rarity.

The other thing that you have to learn to do is deal with it when you decide to have that chocolate chip cookie, and move on. Jump right back on that wagon. It's tough, but it comes with practice. Heck, I work at Subway, so I'm faced with hot, gooey chocolate chip cookies daily! For me, I know I'll feel c-r-a-p-p-y after eating them, so it's simply not worth it - especially since I can have pepperoni, turkey, roast beef, etc instead.

I also agree on the journaling: sometimes you'll have an Aha! Moment(tm) and figure out something you've been doing wrong, or "issues" behind why you do some of the things you do to sabotage yourself. Weight issues are rarely only about food.

I'll stop rambling; if you start a journal, I'll pop in. Take care.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-02, 09:34

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%
Default Cheats

It has really helped me to change my way of thinking about "cheating". In the past (my millions of diets past) I was either "on" the diet or "off" the diet. I have to look at this as a way of life. If you decide to eat a chocolate chip cookie, you have decided to have a higher carb day. It is not cheating, there is no such thing. You know when you have higher carb days that it will mess with your metabolism and slow your weight loss. BUT you are an adult and there is nothing wrong with having a higher carb day if you really need/want one. We make a choice everyday and today I am choosing to have a low carb day. I am planning a low carb week. BUT, I can make another choice if I want to. Don't be so hard on yourself! You can make good choices and work with this each day. Progress not perfection! Cindi