Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Breakfast Ideas
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-24-08, 18:17

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Exclamation How I Drink My Coffee...

Yes...I have coffee..and it doesn't phase my nutrition program or adversely affect my weight....and I know this can't be for everyone...but....

I really miss going to Starbucks or Dutch Bros and getting my favorite espresso concoctions......the ones they offer that I could drink are...well..just not tasty enough......

Maybe I'm stating the simplest solution....the most obvious....but I've never seen this anywhere else on the forum. I grind and fix my own dark roast espresso/coffee...the darker and bolder the better...and I take an Atkins RTD shake (best flavors for this are Chocolate Royale and Cafe Mocha..but most any flavor will do...), spread it out evenly between three 10-12 oz coffee mugs, and fill the rest of each mug with fresh coffee...mix and drink. If a cup gets too cold I microwave it...if I run out of time in the morning I pour what's left in a commuter cup (or put a plastic lid on the one I've used...) and go...

To me...this rivals much of what I would normally have ordered at Starbucks...it satisfies my desire for those specialty drinks at a fraction of the calories, carbs, and cost.

I've also recently discovered that if I want something a lot richer and bolder than this....I take an EAS Rich Dark chocolate RTD shake in its entirety, pour in a cup and add about THREE tsp instant espresso (Metaglia D'oro), stir and microwave. YUMMMMMM and...BTW...I know EAS has a Cafe'Caramel flavor RTD shake (I drink that too..) BUT...some days I just need it stronger than that......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 15:46

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 225/190/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I use Optimum's low carb diet protein. It calls for 12 oz of water. I've used 12 oz of espresso that I've made. Put it all in a blender with ice, some cream, and yummmm. This has been my summer evening meal replacement and it is very satisfying.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-08, 15:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I just drink black coffee with stevia added.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-09-08, 19:56

Plan: animal diet
Stats: 217/211/170 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

I have to admit I'm a bit crazy for coffee. My perfect cup is a strong roasted brew - I buy Starbucks roasted beans from Costco. I enjoy plenty of half n half. Lately, because of my zero-carb target, I'm wondering whether heavy cream would work in coffee, but I haven't tried it yet, has anyone else done this?

In a previous life I enjoyed sugar in my coffee, but now I think I would gag on such a cup, even/especially if it were non-caloric sweetener.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 12:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/235/150 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefYumYum
I have to admit I'm a bit crazy for coffee. My perfect cup is a strong roasted brew - I buy Starbucks roasted beans from Costco. I enjoy plenty of half n half. Lately, because of my zero-carb target, I'm wondering whether heavy cream would work in coffee, but I haven't tried it yet, has anyone else done this?

In a previous life I enjoyed sugar in my coffee, but now I think I would gag on such a cup, even/especially if it were non-caloric sweetener.

It's the only thing I add to my coffee! Heavy cream that is
I tend to over do it so I have to measure mine because I am trying to watch the calories as well. When I have a free calorie day I don't measure and make my coffee a lil' thicker with extra heavy cream! It's a liquid dessert
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 18:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 213/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 60%

I just lovie the heavy cream in my coffee!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-08, 22:06
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Interesting idea. I'm just learning to drink coffee. I have it now and then with 2 Tbsp cream (or h&h -- it's cheaper, if I'm poor, though carbier), and a couple full squirts from my big bottle of a DaVinci flavor. (I have about ~30 flavors. The ones I like well for coffee are white chocolate, and german chocolate cake. Although, I find I can use cookie dough flavor in nearly everything if I want.) I've been thinking about some kind of iced coffee since it's starting to get warm outside now.

I hadn't really thought of putting anything besides cream and sweetener into it. I guess I could put other stuff in it but then it sorta becomes a protein shake rather than a hot drink. Still, coffee in a protein shake sounds pretty good too, actually...
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 17:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I used to do 1/2 coffee with 1/2 EAS shake (ready to drink). I prefer the taste of them to the atkins shakes. EAS does come in low carb.

The way I learned it though wasn't craving a treat. Running really short on time when in college I grabbed a shake and threw it into my coffee when running out the door between weight lifting and class. Got the protien with caffeine to help push it to muscles while on the fly.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-23-08, 18:19
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

In a cup. Lift to face. Take a sip...repeat.

Many, many times.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-29-08, 18:53

Stats: 183/142/130 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Coffee Addict

I use half and half but since I like tons of it I started buying Unsweetened Soy milk to pour in first before adding the half and half. It's only 1 net Carb per cup. I found it in a box container in the baking isle.

I also like to use Protein Powders and make ice coffee. Cookies and cream is my favorite. Sugar Free pudding mixes (1 tsp) can add a nice flavor as well.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 06:26

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 225/190/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I love Starbuck's iced latte, no sweetner, in the summer. I drink hot coffee in the winter. I have gotten Starbuck's Terraza coffee that is just for iced coffee. I make it at home with 4 tblsp of coffee per 12 oz of water, brew it, and then pour it into a large iced filled travel mug, add cream, stir, and enjoy. It lasts a good part of the day.
My aunt got me to drinking coffee when I was a baby and I've been drinking it ever since. Not addicted to it as I can go days without needing to drink it. I do love the flavor. Granted, when my aunt began giving it to me, it had 2 tsp of sugar and was half milk. When I was in high school, I decreased the sugar to about 1/4 tsp...later figured that amount of sugar wasn't doing a whole lot so I cut it out. However, I still used milk or creamer. My brother-in-law kidded me about having some coffee with my milk. So I decided the milk would go. I still like it with milk/cream but drink it black most of the time.
I don't like the French roast coffee or coffee with chicory in it..mostly like mild to medium roast. The nut blends are good. There's a pinon blend that I order from New Mexico; Papa Nicholas has a Toasted Southern Pecan that is outstanding. Oh yes, I buy whole bean coffees and grind them myself.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 06:48

Plan: who knows???
Stats: 208/173/175 Male 66"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Why ruin a good cup of coffee by adding anything other than water to the beans?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 07:42

Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

I LOVE my coffee and can go all day drinking nothing but IT!

My big problem is that I am sure I am consuming 20 carbs or so each day just from half and half or cream!! I really need to keep better tabs on what I'm doing there.

I can't wait to try coffee mixed with the Atkins shake, I have a can and am going to try it today. Thanks for the idea.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 07:53

Plan: WW Core
Stats: 244.5/232.5/160 Female 66"
BF:You noticed?!
Progress: 14%

I like my coffee with Coffee-mate sugarfree french vanilla creamer. It has 1 carb per Tablespoon. Sometimes I put a tablespoon of coconut oil in it to get a tropical taste and to curb my hunger.

By the way, if you like almond joys take a cup of sugar free cocoa and mix in one tablespoon of coconut oil - it is so yummy!

I stumbled upon the whole coconut oil thing by doing a search to help my hypothyroidism.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-30-08, 08:33
Registered Member

Stats: 194/162/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Coffe Snob

My favorite coffe is Hawaii's Kauai Estate Roasted Mundonovo. Once you taste a true fresh coffe everything else taste terrible, bitter and acidy. My daughter in law brought me some home 2 years ago fresh from the planation and now we order it regularlly.I think thats why she did it -she knew I would be hooked and would get her some too.LOL