Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-04, 19:24
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Goal weight does not mean....

I wanted to start this one in response to the myths about fat and thin threads. I think some start diets with unrealistic expectations, and can't see thier progress as a good thing because it's never enough. This isn't directed at anyone at all, just some general things about all diets.

Goal weight does not mean...

1. Your relationships will suddenly become wonderful
If someone is treating you with disrespect they will continue to no matter what your weight is. The problem is probably with them.

2. I will look toned like a fitness model
That takes alot of hard work and exercise. Yes you can look toned and sleek, but it will take more then just diet

3. When I hit goal weight I won't have any problem areas
There is a great thread on how it can take up to 6 months after you finish losing weight for the weight to redistribute. Until then you may have fat and skinny areas. It also can be genetics and factors such as children. Some things just aren't correctable short of surgury no matter what your weight is.

4. When I hit my goal weight I'll find Mr. Right.
There is no Mr. Right, just someone who is right for you. He also probably won't fall into your lap just because you've lost weight. Instead start working on confidence building exercises now. Maybe you'll meet your ideal mate much sooner then you'll reach goal and you shouldn't pass up the opportunity.

5. When I hit goal weight I will have self confidence.
There are skinny people with no self confidence or self worth, and there are overweight people who love themselves for who they are. A number on a scale won't change how you feel suddenly. Seeing the results of hard work can build confidence though and working to build your esteem with nicer clothes or going out more can help at any weight.

6. When I hit goal I'll feel comfortable in a bikini.
Comfort level comes with self confidence. Until you learn to be comfortable with yourself, it doesn't matter what you wear. There is also the issues of stretch marks and loose skin which have to be addressed if the weight loss was fast.

7. The faster I reach goal weight the better
We all want it, and want it now. Slower weight loss means less stretch marks and lose skin. It can also mean developing healthier eating habits for life and a better likely hood of keeping it off in the long term

8. when I hit goal weight I can eat what ever I want.
Not unless you want to get back to the previous weight you were eating those foods.

9. When I get to my goal I will never slip off the wagon and I will stay there forever.
This is a positive additude, but a little harsh. We are all human and may slip at times. There is also weight gain and loss related with hormones, seasons, and other factors. If you gain a couple pounds, it's not the end of the world, just another step in the journey.

Anyone else have things they expected at goal they now know won't be absolutly true, or thigns they have heard others say?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 11:51

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Lady Belle, congrats on being at goal! And thank you so much for your insight. these are things I've thought about but just never get said. It's going to take me a long time to get to goal, but that's okay. It's a goal - I'll get there someday. Meanwhile I have just lovely people as yourself to encourage me along the way.

shortstuff
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 12:02
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Amen, Ladybelle.

I had a good life before and it's good now, only now I feel much better and have energy to enjoy it. Celebrating my birthday (36) last year I actually felt younger...

Alina
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the post, Ladybelle. I had always believed the low-fat, calorie in/calorie out theory of weight control. So I thought that even if LC worked, I would have to maintain a diet mentality the rest of my life in order to keep the weight off. That has NOT happened. I can eat healthy, delicious LC food, not feel deprived,and not worry about every calorie that passes my lips (as if that ever worked anyway!!). That was an unexpected benefit!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:19
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 169/132/140 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 128%

Great thread.
I could relate to so many of those it was incredible.
I swear I work just as hard now to maintain my goal weight as I did while I was dieting.
It definitely wasn't "the magic pill" but it has certainly made me more aware of how I view myself.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 13:23

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Very well put. I agree that losing weight does not bring happiness...happiness is inside you no matter what size you are.

BUT, feeling healthy is what makes me happy and low-carbing and losing weight makes me healthy.

So I guess I'm happy.
Now if I can win the Lottery....
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 08:10

Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Great truths. Reaching goal weight is just half of the work. The rest of the work is a learning to master these eating habits for life. I think that's the real work. Is just like your wedding day and the rest of your married life.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 18:54

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Excellent points!
Too many people regard their weight as their only problem, and all will magically change once they lose the weight.
If weight is just your excuse to NOT get over your shyness, NOT recognize your partner is misbehaving, NOT work hard at your talents, then when the excuse leaves, you still aren't any better off.